Linux on WinChip?

Post by yzh.. » Wed, 10 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Has anybody heard about linux compatibility with the new WinChip? It's supposed
to be a Pentium-class chip, but much cheaper. The name sounds suspiciously
M$-ish, but the website claims what it ran solaris. Does anybody know about
RedHat on a WinChip? Especially RH 5.0.

Thank you very much,
MZhang

Linux on WinChip?

Post by Peter Onyis » Wed, 10 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Could we have the URL, please?

--Peter Onyisi

> Has anybody heard about linux compatibility with the new WinChip? It's supposed
> to be a Pentium-class chip, but much cheaper. The name sounds suspiciously
> M$-ish, but the website claims what it ran solaris. Does anybody know about
> RedHat on a WinChip? Especially RH 5.0.

> Thank you very much,
> MZhang

Linux on WinChip?

Post by Dave Pla » Thu, 11 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Could we have the URL, please?

Either http://www.ide.com/, or (to save a click at the expense of a
few keystrokes) http://www.winchip.com/

--
Dave Platt                                        Speaker-to-kernels

Visit the Jade Warrior home page:     http://iq.nc.com/jade-warrior/

Linux on WinChip?

Oops... Sorry, forgot about that. It's at www.winchip.com

Thanks,
MZhang

Linux on WinChip?

Post by Trever Adam » Thu, 11 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> Has anybody heard about linux compatibility with the new WinChip? It's supposed
> to be a Pentium-class chip, but much cheaper. The name sounds suspiciously
> M$-ish, but the website claims what it ran solaris. Does anybody know about
> RedHat on a WinChip? Especially RH 5.0.

> Thank you very much,
> MZhang

Yes, it should very well run Linux.  The WinChip if I remember right is
manufactured by Centaur a division of some larger company (IDT or IDC seems to be
in mind).  It is a new entry into the x86 playing feild.  Designed fresh from the
ground up.  Supposedly it has similar performance to the other players but done
with a much less complex design (therefore cheaper).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trever Adams

http://www.onramp.net/~arabian/silent.htm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"No man knows how bad he is till he has tried very hard to be good."
        ~C.S. Lewis

Pursuant to USC 47, there is a $500 per incident charge for each
and every piece of Unsolicited Commercial Email (UCE) sent to this or
any of my other addresses.  Sending UCE's to any of my addresses
implies general acceptance of these terms.

Linux on WinChip?

Post by David Rudd » Fri, 12 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Has anybody heard about linux compatibility with the new WinChip? It's supposed
>to be a Pentium-class chip, but much cheaper. The name sounds suspiciously
>M$-ish, but the website claims what it ran solaris. Does anybody know about
>RedHat on a WinChip? Especially RH 5.0.

>Thank you very much,
>MZhang

From the web site (www.winchip.com)

Centaur Technology has extensively tested the
IDT?WinChip?C6 processor with x86 operating systems such
as DOS, Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows NT?,
OS/2?, Linux and a large number of software applications.
In addition, many third-party motherboards, and chipsets
from ALI, VIA, SIS, and Intel have been tested to ensure
compatibility. BIOS support is also available from Award,
AMI, and SystemSoft. IDT?WinChip?C6 third-party verification
includes Microsoft ? Certified Compatibility with Windows
95 and XXCAL Platinum Certification.

Linux on WinChip?

Post by John Smit » Sun, 14 Dec 1997 04:00:00

If should be fine, its a 32-bit x86 clone.  Thats all you need and care
about.  The Win in its name is just a marketing gimmick. The chip is
optimized for the most commonly used instructions in Win95 apps, however
these instructions are also largely the most commonly used ones in Linux.

Quote:>Has anybody heard about linux compatibility with the new WinChip? It's
supposed
>to be a Pentium-class chip, but much cheaper. The name sounds suspiciously
>M$-ish, but the website claims what it ran solaris. Does anybody know about
>RedHat on a WinChip? Especially RH 5.0.

>Thank you very much,
>MZhang

Linux on WinChip?

Post by Olav Woelfelschneid » Mon, 15 Dec 1997 04:00:00

DR> IDT?WinChip?C6 processor with x86 operating systems such

Ah, so it's really the IDT C6...

According to c't, this chip is as slow as it is cheap...

--

     PGP fingerprint = 06 5F 66 B3  2A AD 7D 2D  B7 19 67 3C  95 A7 9D AF
     But let your communication be Yea, yea; nay, nay:    -- Matthew 5:37

Linux on WinChip?

Post by cbbro.. » Wed, 17 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Either http://www.ide.com/, or (to save a click at the expense of a
>few keystrokes) http://www.winchip.com/

The real question: Is anyone yet shipping them?

Ever since the "good 'ol" Atari days when it nearly seemed that Atari
had a copyright on "vapourware," I have been very reluctant to believe
*anything* in the computer industry until I can expect to see product
*on my desk.*

--
"Bother," said Pooh, "Eeyore, ready two photon torpedoes and lock
phasers on the Heffalump, Piglet, meet me in transporter room three"

<http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/lsf.html>

Linux on WinChip?

Post by yzh.. » Wed, 17 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> The real question: Is anyone yet shipping them?
> Ever since the "good 'ol" Atari days when it nearly seemed that Atari
> had a copyright on "vapourware," I have been very reluctant to believe
> *anything* in the computer industry until I can expect to see product
> *on my desk.*

Don't know about other places, but a store in Austin (TX) here has them. The
store is not known for extremely high quality, but it always has dirt cheap
components... They are selling a Winchip 200mhz for $99.
I'm thinking about buying a new system soon, so I just wanted to know if I
could run RH on it. (since I've read that RH doesn't work very well on the AMD
K6's)

MZhang

Linux on WinChip?

Post by Graeme Gregor » Wed, 17 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> I'm thinking about buying a new system soon, so I just wanted to know if I
> could run RH on it. (since I've read that RH doesn't work very well on the AMD
> K6's)

Runs fine on mine, never had any other version of linux due to picking
it
up off a magazine cover disk. But Ive never yet in 5 months had a single
crash on RH on a 233 K6

Graeme
--
Munchings and Crunchings in here somewheres!
Graeme Gregory

Linux on WinChip?

Post by Freddie Ch » Thu, 18 Dec 1997 04:00:00

: >Either http://www.ide.com/, or (to save a click at the expense of a
: >few keystrokes) http://www.winchip.com/

: The real question: Is anyone yet shipping them?

Yeah, it's out there in the market. I came across a web site in TX selling
complete package around $800. Do a net search...

Couldn't remember the exact URL, but it's something like www.cheapXXXXXX.com
The "cheap" just caught my eyes. :)

--

http://longyear.acs.nmu.edu/~xetronic ICQ UIN # 3577688
http://vm.nmu.edu/fchan

Resume at http://scam.acs.nmu.edu/~xetronic/personal/resume.html

Linux on WinChip?

Post by Rod Smi » Thu, 18 Dec 1997 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:

> I'm thinking about buying a new system soon, so I just wanted to know if I
> could run RH on it. (since I've read that RH doesn't work very well on the AMD
> K6's)

Neither Linux in general nor Red Hat in particular has any OS-specific
problem with the AMD K6, AFAIK.  You may be thinking of the bug that
mistakenly identified certain code sequences as potentially
self-modifying, thus wreaking havoc with their output.  This bug tended to
manifest under Linux running big gcc runs (like compiling the Linux
kernel), but it's *NOT* Linux-specific -- the same bug has been documented
as having effects under various other OSes.  It's all moot, anyhow, since
AMD's admitted the bug exists and fixed it.  I don't have the URL offhand,
but there's at least one web site with all sorts of details on this bug,
including serial number of affected and unaffected chips, so you can be
sure you get a good one.

IMHO, the AMD K6 would be a safer bet for running Linux than the IDT
"WinChip," simply because the AMD's been better tested, so bugs like the
one I describe above have already been found and fixed for the AMD, where
they might not be for the WinChip.  Of course, if you're an adventurous
spirit, go right ahead and get a WinChip.  That'll help test it for
everybody else.  ;-)

--
Rod Smith                                 Author of:

http://www.users.fast.net/~rodsmith       "OS/2 Soundcard Summary"
NOTE: Remove the digit and following word from my address to mail me

Linux on WinChip?

Post by Ed Nathe » Thu, 18 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> Couldn't remember the exact URL, but it's something like www.cheapXXXXXX.com
> The "cheap" just caught my eyes. :)

Try

   http://www.chipsmart.com

ed

1. Linux on the WinChip?

Has anyone out there run Linux successfully on a WinChip-based system?
(The IDT WinChip C6 from Centaur Technology, Inc. is yet another low-cost
MMX-capable X86 processor, competing with the likes of AMD and Cyrix.)
The IDT literature claims that the chip has been tested with Linux, but
the only performance data they offer are with Windows 95.  Since a 200Mhz
WinChip goes for $89, it is a very economical alternative if it works...

... Our continuing mission: To seek out knowledge of C, to explore
strange UNIX commands, and to boldly code where no one has man page 4.

2. find works differently under solaris?

3. Linux on WinChip?

4. Granularized Access to SMIT ??

5. winchip and linux

6. Table order

7. Winchip & Linux?

8. TEST Please poost a reply

9. IDT WinChip C6 & Linux?

10. IDT Winchip and Linux? Doesn't work?

11. IDT C6 Winchip for Linux

12. Does linux (any version) run on an Evergreen Tech WinChip?

13. IDT Winchip and Linux