Redial lost PPP connection only between certain hours?

Redial lost PPP connection only between certain hours?

Post by Bill Gord » Mon, 16 Jun 1997 04:00:00

I have several Linux machines set up in schools to dial our district
Internet service, get a PPP connection, and distribute the Internet
signal over LAN's using IP Masquerading.  Everything is working
great.

Our district equipment is set to hang up a dial-in connection after
30 minutes of inactivity, so I've put the line:

     pd:23:respawn:/usr/sbin/pppd /dev/cua1

in the getty definitions section of /etc/inittab.  This also works
great, and maintains the connection 24 hours per day.

I'd like to have the machine NOT dial back after a loss of
connection between the hours of, say, 9:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m. -- to
free up the phone line for other uses.

Any suggestions as to the best way to do this?  I'm using
Slackware with the 2.0.30 kernel.

Thanks for any ideas.

Bill Gordon
Mesa County Valley School District #51