Familiar with Linux vs. Trend Chip-Away?

Familiar with Linux vs. Trend Chip-Away?

Post by Seth Fult » Fri, 22 Jan 1999 04:00:00

This is just a curiosity of mine.

On my motherboard, I have this feature called the Trend Chip-Away Virus
System that is supposed to detect viruses in my boot sector stuff before
other virus protection systems would have a chance to get loaded.

It seems to have the opinion that my Linux boot disk has a virus,
however.  Just to make sure I didn't -really- have a virus, I got a
brand new floppy, right out of shrink wrap.  I formatted it, and made it
into a new boot disk.  The Chip-Away system still sets off alarms when I
boot off of this new disk.

Right now I have Chip-Away disabled within my cmos, so it's not setting
off alarms, but it sounds like kind of a nice feature to have if I can
get it to quit screaming about Linux.

It's been suggested to me that using Lilo instead of a boot disk might
help, or it might not.  I'd prefer to continue to use a boot floppy,
though, since my wife uses only Windows, and would pester me endlessly
if she has to go through any unnecessary steps like choosing an OS.

I searched the Trend web site, but I can't even find -anything- about
their Chip-Away system.  I found a whole product line of other virus
protection stuff, but no Chip-Away.

Is anybody familiar with this Trend product, or problems with it?  I'm
looking for a place to dig and see if I can get the feature enabled and
not have it scream every time I boot to Linux, but so far I can't find
much.

Thanks

Seth Fultz

1. Trend Chip Away Virus 'detects' RedHat 6.1

I used RH5.2 successfully for a a while, but when upgrading to 5.1,
I backed up the system and then reinstalled the Linux part (keeping Win98)
The BIOS virus thing now moans about a possible virus... this comes in after
typing in a command at the LILO prompt (i.e. dos or linux)

I'm using BIOS 1.23f, American Megatrends/Phoenix, with SiS 6326AGP.

ANy ideas?

thanks,

Giles RC Morant

2. PCMCIA & SLIP via dip

3. Article: Firewalls vs. the new Firebox Technology - Trends - Linux Product

4. Unix - Frequently Asked Questions (Contents) [Frequent posting]

5. Trend Viruswall vs Linux Emulation

6. Login problem : Urgent help please

7. Article: Firewalls vs. the new Firebox Technology - Trends - Linux Product

8. Security Article: Firewalls vs. the new Firebox Technology - Trends - Linux Based

9. A-Trend ACT-2680 ; flip chip

10. Linux vs OS2 vs NT vs Win95 vs Multics vs PDP11 vs BSD geeks

11. Toshiba PC-100; 4 chip vs 8 chip?

12. Rivals chip away at Microsoft's dominance