on a PC is SCO OpenDT or Linux better to learn?

on a PC is SCO OpenDT or Linux better to learn?

Post by Leigh Mathew Gardn » Sat, 15 Feb 1997 04:00:00

HI all,

I am considering learning more about UNIX: how to install it;
configure it; use the various utilities; basically, get up to speed on

the OS.  However, I have a question that YOU may be able to help me
with:

Since I did not want to invest much money in this after hours project,

I was set to choose Linux as the UNIX flavour.  However, with the
recent SCO annocement regarding FREE copies of SCO Opendesktop to
certain people (me being one of them), I no longer am certain of which

OS to use.  My kit for this project is a 486-66 with 16MB RAM, T3-SVGA

video card, 1GB EIDE hdd, etc.

I want command line capabilities, X windows, a good selection of
development tools and utilities, a wish to use some public domain UNIX

programs, JAVA, etc.

So then, any thoughts on which OS would suit be needs and hardware?

Regards,

Leigh

on a PC is SCO OpenDT or Linux better to learn?

Post by Amit Chatterj » Sun, 16 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>HI all,

>I am considering learning more about UNIX: how to install it;
>configure it; use the various utilities; basically, get up to speed on

>the OS.  However, I have a question that YOU may be able to help me
>with:

>Since I did not want to invest much money in this after hours project,

>I was set to choose Linux as the UNIX flavour.  However, with the
>recent SCO annocement regarding FREE copies of SCO Opendesktop to
>certain people (me being one of them), I no longer am certain of which

Either SCO or Linux would be good choice and essentially very similar in
terms of UNIX commands and programming.

Quote:>OS to use.  My kit for this project is a 486-66 with 16MB RAM, T3-SVGA

>video card, 1GB EIDE hdd, etc.

With the above hardware, Linux would be better. SCO, from my experience,
would be painfully slow (specially with the SCOLOGIN) with the above
hardware.

Quote:>I want command line capabilities, X windows, a good selection of
>development tools and utilities, a wish to use some public domain UNIX

>programs, JAVA, etc.

All of the above are available for both SCO and Linux. The public domain
utilites like GNU normally comes with Linux distribution with SCO, you
have to get an additional CD from SCO called skunkware (it used to be free).
I am not sure about Java for SCO but it is available with Linux.

Regarding X window systems, I personally like Linux's window managers/desktop
(FVWM/FVWM95) better comapared to SCO but from what I hear FVWM is also
available for SCO.

Quote:>So then, any thoughts on which OS would suit be needs and hardware?

See above.

Amit Chatterjee

Post by Ken Corma » Tue, 18 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>HI all,

>I am considering learning more about UNIX: how to install it;
>configure it; use the various utilities; basically, get up to speed on

>the OS.  However, I have a question that YOU may be able to help me
>with:

>Since I did not want to invest much money in this after hours project,

>I was set to choose Linux as the UNIX flavour.  However, with the
>recent SCO annocement regarding FREE copies of SCO Opendesktop to
>certain people (me being one of them), I no longer am certain of which

>OS to use.  My kit for this project is a 486-66 with 16MB RAM, T3-SVGA

>video card, 1GB EIDE hdd, etc.

>I want command line capabilities, X windows, a good selection of
>development tools and utilities, a wish to use some public domain UNIX

>programs, JAVA, etc.

>So then, any thoughts on which OS would suit be needs and hardware?

>Regards,

>Leigh

Hi, Leigh -

If your objective is to learn?  Then Linux wins hands-down.  You have
all the source code from the kernel to poke-through, plenty of support
on the web and in the news-groups, etc., good (and broad)
compatibility with hardware configurations commonly found on desktops
(SCO is more restricted in it's hardware support - driver updates for
SCO typically lag months behind equivalant Linux drivers, which often
appear in just a few weeks).

-Ken-

PS:  Not to knock SCO - I administer OpenServer for a living.  But
it's not the best for "learning Unix".

Post by Peter Lindstr? » Tue, 18 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> HI all,

> I am considering learning more about UNIX: how to install it;
> configure it; use the various utilities; basically, get up to speed on

> the OS.  However, I have a question that YOU may be able to help me
> with:

> Since I did not want to invest much money in this after hours project,

> I was set to choose Linux as the UNIX flavour.  However, with the
> recent SCO annocement regarding FREE copies of SCO Opendesktop to
> certain people (me being one of them), I no longer am certain of which

> OS to use.  My kit for this project is a 486-66 with 16MB RAM, T3-SVGA

> video card, 1GB EIDE hdd, etc.

> I want command line capabilities, X windows, a good selection of
> development tools and utilities, a wish to use some public domain UNIX

> programs, JAVA, etc.

If you wish to program in Java you should probably choose Linux as SCO
still has not gotten a java compiler for sale.
As I have heard it you are going to pay for a java compiler to SCO unix
but for Linux, HP-UX ... the java stuff is free :(
I am living from administrating some SCO OSE systems, and from my
experience it is clear that SCO's only purpose is to make money in
opposition to linux, that is offcurse not surprising.

--

************************
* Peter Lindstr?m      *

************************

on a PC is SCO OpenDT or Linux better to learn?

Post by Leigh Mathew Gardn » Thu, 20 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Just a quick thank you to the people who responded via this newsgroup
and email.  It seems that LINUX wins hands down because of software
availability at my price [which is FREE].

Thanks again, and once I learn something about Linux/UNIX i'll start
to contribue to this newsgroup.

Thanks again,

Leigh

on a PC is SCO OpenDT or Linux better to learn?

Post by Carrer Yuri 341353/ » Thu, 20 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Just a quick thank you to the people who responded via this newsgroup
>and email.  It seems that LINUX wins hands down because of software
>availability at my price [which is FREE].

>Thanks again, and once I learn something about Linux/UNIX i'll start
>to contribue to this newsgroup.

 :) Thanx from linux community :P

 Althought SCO has many interesting products ....

--
   ol     Carrer Yuri   Pubblicita': usa \documentstyle{athenaslide}
   |--    Tel: 0421/211239 *new*     e non usare Power Point :-)

1. I am interested in Linux Admin, wanted to self learn, what are important things in Admin?

Guys:

Interested in Linux admin, wanted to self learn, please let me know
what are important things I have to learn for Admin point of view. By
looking at On-line postings, I came to know these are important,
besides these what else are important to learn:

1) Samba installation and setup
2) Web server setup
3) Usr account creation

Besides those three, is there any things are important, also which
Distribution is better for Server side as well as Client side
(especially for small businesses point if view).

Thanks for your time.
GS.

2. SS1000 and NVSIMM's

3. Learning Linux better, LFS or Gentoo?

4. Xfree Distribution and 2.2 Beta

5. Learn Linux (Open Systems) Online with Next Generation Learning Technology

6. Etherteam 16i network problems

7. I just found BBC is a better way to learn english

8. Help-spammers are killing me

9. Which functions are better on Linux or PC?

10. Which Unix is better (for me), BSD, SCO, or Linux???

11. "Programming Perl" vs "Learning Perl", which 1 is better?

12. Reading books or learning sample codes: Which is better?

13. which OS is better to learn for an entry level job?