Red Hat 2.1 support of EATA DMA SCSI controller

Red Hat 2.1 support of EATA DMA SCSI controller

Post by Michael Rie » Sun, 14 Apr 1996 04:00:00

I posted this in comp.os.linux.setup and thought I'd post it to comp.os.linux.misc also.
Mike

WARNING: I'm a brand-spanking new Linux user trying to install my first-ever
distribution. Be kind :^)

I am trying to install Red-Hat Version 2.1 on my PC and am having difficulties.

Cut-to-the-chase-question: Does Red-Hat 2.1 support the DPT PM2012B/90 (aka:
EATA DMA or Smart Cache) SCSI controller? Has anyone installed Red Hat 2.1 on a
machine with this controller? See details below.

Long-winded-question-with-details: First, here's my computer specifics:

Computer model:  Intel Deskside Express (Yep, made by Intel)
Mother board:    Intel made, built-in IDE, SVGA, floppy controller
Daughter card:   Pentium (TM) 90 Mhz with 512K cache
Memory:          16MB RAM
Video Card:      ATI Ultra - Mach8 (yep, I'm not using the built-in SVGA)
SCSI Controller: PM2012B/90 (yep, I'm not using the built-in IDE)
Sound card:      Sound Blaster 16 with IDE CD-ROM drive controller
CD-ROM:          Quad speed, came with SB16, I believe it's an Oak Technology?
Drives:          2 - 540MB SCSI-II drives controlled by the PM2012B/90
Tape Drive:      Colorado 700, uses floppy controller

Second, I'm using boot image config # 0038 - with EATA-DM SCSI, no Ethernet and
Sound Blaster CD support.

Finally, my problem: Neither the SCSI controller or the CD-ROM is recognized
during the hardware probe. I think I've got the correct SCSI controller boot
image, so that shouldn't be the problem (but agian, I'm a newbie). I thought I
had the correct CD-ROM config too. I need to solve the SCSI problem first so I
can access my drives. Then I need to solve the CD-ROM problem 'cause that's the
media my distribution is on.

I do get the LILO prompt from which I hit ENTER and let it autoprobe. The
kernal recognizes my floppies (/dev/fd0 and /dev/fd1), my tape drive (I think)
and memory. Unfortunetly I get the dreaded:

    scsi : 0 hosts.
    scsi : detected total.

From the SCSI HOWTO, all DPT controllers should be supported (specifically
mine: the PM2012B/90). Also, according to this document, these have no LILO
commands I can give to help recognize it.

Maybe Linux "sees" my on-motherboard-IDE controller, which does not have drives
connected to it, and somehow this messes up thing? I've read somewhere (can't
remember which doc) that Linux MUST have the root be IDE port 0 or 1 drives. Is
this involved?

What suggestions do you have for me to get Linux to recognize my SCSI
controller (and CD-ROM, assuming I have the correct boot image)?

Thanx for any help you can give me,
Mike

1. Red Hat 2.1 support of EATA DMA SCSI controller

[...]

From the SCSI HOWTO, all DPT controllers should be supported (specifically
mine: the PM2012B/90). Also, according to this document, these have no LILO
commands I can give to help recognize it.

Maybe Linux "sees" my on-motherboard-IDE controller, which does not have drives
connected to it, and somehow this messes up thing? I've read somewhere (can't
remember which doc) that Linux MUST have the root be IDE port 0 or 1 drives. Is
this involved?

What suggestions do you have for me to get Linux to recognize my SCSI
controller (and CD-ROM, assuming I have the correct boot image)?

Thanx for any help you can give me,
Mike

2. Linux & X resurrected my old system

3. EATA-DMA Broken in 2.1.X

4. PCI edge or level trigger?

5. Joystick Support for Red Hat Linux 2.1

6. Compilation of 3c59x.c result in some errors.

7. prob w Netscape 2.1 and Red Hat Linux 2.1 (kernel 1.2.13)

8. NAT with one NIC?

9. Red Hat 2.1->4.0: Future Domain SCSI not found

10. Red Hat 7.1 - Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already installed.

11. Installing Linux 2.1 with a scsi controller and scsi hard drives

12. Any idea on EATA-DMA support on Redhat 4.0??

13. Possible EATA-DMA SCSI/SMP/Cyrix 6x86 boot crash on 2.1.30?