Need help on installing patches..

Post by Warr » Mon, 09 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

  I haven't installed patches in a while, and I seem to be having trouble
doing it. I download the kernel patch from kernel.org, and renamed it
"patch-2.2.10.gz", I then type;

gzip -cd patch-2.2.10.gz | patch -p0

   But..it comes back telling me it's not a valid gzip file. The file is
listed on the website as "patch-2.2.10.gz", but when I shift-click on it,
the download process truncates the ".gz"...I don't remember why this is.

  Could someone clue me in on how to install patches properly ?

Kind regards,
   Warren Crossfield

Post by Bob Marti » Mon, 09 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> Hello,

>   I haven't installed patches in a while, and I seem to be having trouble
> doing it. I download the kernel patch from kernel.org, and renamed it
> "patch-2.2.10.gz", I then type;

> gzip -cd patch-2.2.10.gz | patch -p0

>    But..it comes back telling me it's not a valid gzip file. The file is
> listed on the website as "patch-2.2.10.gz", but when I shift-click on it,
> the download process truncates the ".gz"...I don't remember why this is.

>   Could someone clue me in on how to install patches properly ?

> Kind regards,
>    Warren Crossfield

Your command is correct, check that you didn't get a bzip file, a lot of
sites are storing both formats.

It may be unzipping it during the download, if it is then it should be a
patch file which is plain text. look at it and see if it is text.

Post by Peter Caffi » Wed, 11 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> gzip -cd patch-2.2.10.gz | patch -p0

I have always done it as a two step action.
  cd /usr/src/linux
  gunzip patch-2.2.10.gz
  patch -p1 <patch-2.2.19

Quote:> But..it comes back telling me it's not a valid gzip file. The file is
> listed on the website as "patch-2.2.10.gz", but when I shift-click on it,
> the download process truncates the ".gz"...I don't remember why this is.

Try `less patch-2.2.10`. Is it binary? If so, it's still gzipped. If not,
your browser has already gunzipped it for you.

Hope that helps.

--:     _           _    _ _
 _oo__ |_|_ |__  _ |  _ |_|_o _  peter at ptcc dot it dot net dot au |
//`'\_ | (/_|(/_|  |_(_|| | || |                http://it.net.au/~pc |
/                            PO Box 869, Hillarys WA 6923, AUSTRALIA |

1. Help needed on installing/patching diskless clients.

Hi all,

Please share some advice on how to setup and patch diskless (not Auto-
Client!) client workstations.

The machinery: Server: Ultra 10. Clients: Ultra 5's and Sparcstation
20's. OS: Solaris 7, hw 5/99 on all machines.

Our server was installed with "Entire Distribution plus OEM Support",
we added AdminSuite, MU- and recommended patches as well as AdminSuite
Jumbo patch. Rebooted. Made the server "OS Server" for the appropriate
architectures and created some diskless clients with AdminSuite's host
manager and tried to boot them.

The clients do boot, but with numerous error messages during the boot
process about missing device files (e.g. /dev/dump, /dev/pm); vold
dies while not being able to communicate with kernel; missing audio
stuff and so on. Finally CDE won't start because the X-server cannot
run. Great.

After carefully RTFM and some infodocs on Sun's web, we concluded that
the clients needed patching. They appear not to be booted with a
patched kernel from the server, but rather from a generic one
installed from the OS CD by Host Manager when converting the server to
"OS Server". But they use the server's /usr.

Accordning to the docs, client patches are spooled (admclientpatch -a)
one by one and then installed to the clients' root directores en masse
(admclientpatch -s). All this takes place on the server. We do this.
Admclientpatch -s runs for a long while. But when we boot the clients
they still have generic kernels, error messages flooding and, to
really cheer us up, admclientpatch -c shows that no patches have been
installed on the clients.

We think we have done everything accordning to the docs. We're lost.
Any input to help us clarify this is greately appreciated.

Kindly,

Jonas Hvarfner

--
Jonas Hvarfner                                  Dept. of Atomic Physics

2. /dev/null is read-only ?

3. 5 Days to Install Patch? HELP NEEDED

4. snmp requests

5. need help installing patches

6. recover deleted file ?

7. How to quickly compare already installed patches with list of new patches to install?

8. Disturbing log file entries

9. patch needed to install Oracle 8.1.7 onto Solaris 8

10. Need info on installing solaris patches

11. Do I need to install patch ?

12. first time installing, need help with partitioning and install

13. Need help on Unix installing - install.sh of Oracle application