1. Help needed on installing/patching diskless clients.
Please share some advice on how to setup and patch diskless (not Auto-
Client!) client workstations.
The machinery: Server: Ultra 10. Clients: Ultra 5's and Sparcstation
20's. OS: Solaris 7, hw 5/99 on all machines.
Our server was installed with "Entire Distribution plus OEM Support",
we added AdminSuite, MU- and recommended patches as well as AdminSuite
Jumbo patch. Rebooted. Made the server "OS Server" for the appropriate
architectures and created some diskless clients with AdminSuite's host
manager and tried to boot them.
The clients do boot, but with numerous error messages during the boot
process about missing device files (e.g. /dev/dump, /dev/pm); vold
dies while not being able to communicate with kernel; missing audio
stuff and so on. Finally CDE won't start because the X-server cannot
After carefully RTFM and some infodocs on Sun's web, we concluded that
the clients needed patching. They appear not to be booted with a
patched kernel from the server, but rather from a generic one
installed from the OS CD by Host Manager when converting the server to
"OS Server". But they use the server's /usr.
Accordning to the docs, client patches are spooled (admclientpatch -a)
one by one and then installed to the clients' root directores en masse
(admclientpatch -s). All this takes place on the server. We do this.
Admclientpatch -s runs for a long while. But when we boot the clients
they still have generic kernels, error messages flooding and, to
really cheer us up, admclientpatch -c shows that no patches have been
installed on the clients.
We think we have done everything accordning to the docs. We're lost.
Any input to help us clarify this is greately appreciated.
Jonas Hvarfner Dept. of Atomic Physics
2. /dev/null is read-only ?
3. 5 Days to Install Patch? HELP NEEDED
4. snmp requests
5. need help installing patches
6. recover deleted file ?
7. How to quickly compare already installed patches with list of new patches to install?
8. Disturbing log file entries
9. patch needed to install Oracle 8.1.7 onto Solaris 8
10. Need info on installing solaris patches
11. Do I need to install patch ?
12. first time installing, need help with partitioning and install
13. Need help on Unix installing - install.sh of Oracle application