Can play audio CD's... but no WAV's or MIDI?!?

Can play audio CD's... but no WAV's or MIDI?!?

Post by Steve D. Perkin » Sat, 28 Aug 1999 04:00:00

        Earlier I made a post about not being able to use my sound card
when logged in as a normal user (DOES work as root, however)
after upgrading from RedHat 5.2 to 6.0.  After a little
tinkering... I found that changing the permissions for
"/dev/mixer" allows SOME things to work.  I am now able to play
audio CD's when logged in as a normal user... but I am still
unable to play WAV files or MIDI files (kmedia and kmidi report
"unable to open output device").

        Does anyone know which other listing under "/dev" need to have
their permissions modified for the rest of my sound card features
to kick in?  (I am, of course, *assuming* that this is the
problem)

Steve

Can play audio CD's... but no WAV's or MIDI?!?

Post by cpwU.. » Sun, 29 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>    Earlier I made a post about not being able to use my sound card
>when logged in as a normal user (DOES work as root, however)
>after upgrading from RedHat 5.2 to 6.0.  After a little
>tinkering... I found that changing the permissions for
>"/dev/mixer" allows SOME things to work.  I am now able to play
>audio CD's when logged in as a normal user... but I am still
>unable to play WAV files or MIDI files (kmedia and kmidi report
>"unable to open output device").

>    Does anyone know which other listing under "/dev" need to have
>their permissions modified for the rest of my sound card features
>to kick in?  (I am, of course, *assuming* that this is the
>problem)

>Steve

Mmmm, how about /dev/audio and /dev/dsp.

--
No statement is wholly true, not even this one.
    also: remove "UhUh" and "Spam" to get my real email address -----

1. Can't use 'play' to play .wav file

Hi,
        I am using Sound Blaster Compatible card. I found that I can hear
sound while I redirected the .au or .wav files to /dev/audio. However, I
can't use the 'play' file to play .wav files. The error message is as
follow :

Playing: sample.wav (full-song)
Mono-Sample, speed: 22050 Hz, 8 Bit per Sample
Invalid audio buffer size

        Do you know what the problem is?
        (I am using Linux 1.0 and my machine is 486DX2-66. )
        Thanks.

-Patrick

2. Disturbing, /bin/dmesg

3. Can't play audio CD's with CD Player apps -- Creative CD820E

4. The Poor Man's DNS without NIS *or* libc mods (was Re: LD_* variables)

5. Hitachi CDR 1750S cdrom - WHY doesn't it play Audio CD'S?

6. Need binary of sz/rz for Solaris 8

7. Playing audio cd's doesn't work

8. Printing problem

9. Can't play audio CD's

10. Newbie -- Can't play audio CD's

11. Can't play audio CD's ?

12. can't play audio CD's but works otherwise

13. Can't Play Audio CD's w/ SCSI Emulation on Burner