Choices, choices...

Post by Max da Newbi » Thu, 03 Jun 1999 04:00:00

So what's it going to be????

A newbie, just starting out in the world of Linux, wants to experiment and
network at home...

All these choices though...

Redhat, Caldera, Debian, Slackware...

So which should it be?  Thoughts, considerations, experiences, loves and
hates all appreciated on this topic...

Max da Newbie

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

Choices, choices...

Post by Mike Ker » Thu, 03 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I hear good things about the newest Caldera(I forget exactly what version it
is - the newest one, though). From what I've read it has the easiest install
routine of all Linux distribtutions. On the other hand, if you're experienced
user then maybe go with Red Hat, since it's widely regarded as a good system
and... "user friendly"(sorry, but I'm having a little trouble with red hat
myself... I'm knew at it too, and a little bitter... ; )

> So what's it going to be????

> A newbie, just starting out in the world of Linux, wants to experiment and

> network at home...

> All these choices though...

> Redhat, Caldera, Debian, Slackware...

> So which should it be?  Thoughts, considerations, experiences, loves and

> hates all appreciated on this topic...

> Max da Newbie

>                   http://www.searchlinux.com

1. Logging incoming, outgoing packet on firewall, good choice or bad choice ?

I would like to know if its a good choice to log packets thats being
send and recieved, and what the advantages is of logging packets on
firewalls.

How much information can you see on logged packets ?, and where would
you log the packets and protect the log from malicous hackers, trojan
kids or script kids ?

Were using Linux Slackware 7.0.

2. Howto check battery status on Logitec wireless keyb/mice

3. -=[Question: PC UNIX OS choices: What are the best choices and why?]=-

4. automatic xlock

5. The "safe" choice (w2K) the wrong choice...

6. How to turn 4MB pages on for all applications ?

7. Need help on web server choice

8. Solaris Management Console

9. Firewall platform of choice

10. Apologies (Was: Is Diamond Viper a good choice to run an X windows server on?)

11. dselect choices for min X system for gnome apps?

12. Best laptop choice for Linux Pro??

13. Samsung Monitor choices