I did tar archive...how to update?

--

Post by Nat Makarevitc » Mon, 02 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:Ryan M Hanson writes:
> I just did a simple backup of my home linux box w/ tar (multiple floppy)
> tar -cvMf /dev/fd0 /etc /usr/local /home/rmhanson /usr/src/patches
> /usr/bin/slrn
> (think of anymore?)
> anyways now How do I update it w/o rewriting the whole thing over?

by a brutal method, using "find" in order to save only, on a new backup
set, modified or created files.
for example:
find /etc -mtime -9 -daystart -type f > /tmp/to_be_saved
find /usr/local -mtime -9 -daystart -type f >> /tmp/to_be_saved
 ... and so on ...

then
tar -cvM -T /tmp/to_be_saved -f /dev/fd0

but file deleted will not be erased after a restore operation.

best: by using the "-g" option of tar.
example:
tar -g /tar_listed_incremental_trace -cvM -f /dev/fd0 /etc /usr/local ...

--
Nat    Linux

1. TAR archive updating

Hey all,

I was wondering if any of you have ever experienced a similar problem:

I'll start out by saying that I am by no means a Unix or Linux expert.  I've
used such systems for development for a few years, but in that time I never
got down into some of the nitty-gritty of the various commands (i.e., TAR)
and their relation to physical devices.  Currently, I'm trying to write a
Perl script that will automate tape backups for a real time data feed.  I've
figured out, on an algorithmic basis, what TAR does when creating files on
the disk, but it doesn't seem to carry over to tapes.  I can use the 'tar
cvf' command to create an archive on the tape drive.  If the files are small
enough (I think) then I can use the 'tar rvf' command to update the archive
with new files.  However, after I've done this I can never get 'tar rvf' to
work on the same tape with the preexisting archive again.  It seems like
there is no space left on the tape to write a record of what is being stored
in the archive, so it won't let me write any more files.  It gives me an I/O
error instead.  Here is what the final session looks like, after I've
already added some files to the archive and checked for their presence with
'tar tvf':

devel/chris> tar rvfb /dev/rmt/0 5 test1.chris
a test1.chris 1 tape blocks
tar: tape write error
devel/chris>

If anyone has any information on blocking factors, limitations of TAR with 8
mm tapes, good places to look in mtio, or something similar, please email me

a lot of time and it shouldn't be so hard to add files to an archive just
because they exceed some default size.  Thanks.

Chris

2. can't kill dial-up connection

3. tar --update or --append on Connor Archive Viper 2525?

4. Please Network help needed!!

5. Any GNU tar utility for DOS that can archive to floppy disk?

6. Technical Article: Authorization Infrastructure in Solaris

7. ufsdump archive --> tar archive ?

8. *** ark2000pv and missing CONSOLE ***

9. Extracting files with tar and uncompress fails with tar: Archive - EOF not on block boundary

10. tar: Hmm, this doesn't look like a tar archive

11. Extracting files from multivolume tar archive made with SCO tar

12. Can tar add files to .tar.gz archives ?

13. Dos-tar versus linux-tar