Suse 6.0 or Redhat 6.0

Suse 6.0 or Redhat 6.0

Post by Y.H. » Mon, 21 Jun 1999 04:00:00



I'm planning to try out Linux lately and I'm looking for one that's easy to
setup.  Can anyone comment on the above mentioned version of Linuxs' setup?


Thanx!

 
 
 

Suse 6.0 or Redhat 6.0

Post by Michel Catuda » Tue, 29 Jun 1999 04:00:00



> I'm planning to try out Linux lately and I'm looking for one that's easy to
> setup.  Can anyone comment on the above mentioned version of Linuxs' setup?


> Thanx!

RedHat is almost foolproof
SuSE, you need to watch out for a few moronic comments
1-You seem to be using a logical partition
Do you want to put lilo on the extended partition
2-Do you wish to make the you want to put the partition
active (logical)

whoever wrote that must have been drunk. Saying yes to any
of those will create problems.

Aside from that, SuSE takes quite a while to setup, selection
of numerous packages takes a long time and install is about 30 minutes
or so. Install of RedHat is about 15-20 minutes.

SuSE wins by a large margin as for stability and ease of use.
The structure of the scripts of SuSE is far superior and
they have a lot of nice apps plus a good intelligent dialer.

--
use OS/2 for a crash proof work environment
use Linux for safe and quick internet access
use Winblows to test the latest viruses
http://www.netonecom.net/~bbcat/
We have software, food, music, news, search,
history, electronics and genealogy pages.

 
 
 

Suse 6.0 or Redhat 6.0

Post by Adrian Hand » Tue, 29 Jun 1999 04:00:00


Well, I think SuSE 6.1 is a 2.0 kernel and RedHat 6.0 is a 2.2 kernel.

I JUST NOW installed SuSE 6.1 on my wife's Thinkpad.
First experience with SuSE and first experience with TPad.
I was a bit apprehensive because I've heard TPs can be troublesome,
but I'm happy to report installed without a hitch.
X, KDE etc...no problem.
I just took *wild* *guesses* at the video card and monitor settings and
it seems to have worked fine.

Looks like you want at least 600MB disk space.

Actually, I ran into these two things:
I wasn't paying attention durring the questions about LILO and somehow
ended up with no LILO after I'd completed the install.  I had to re-boot
off the CD-ROM, choose the "boot installed system" option and then setup
LILO.  Unfortunately, /etc/lilo.conf didn't even exist so I had to go
over to my RedHat6.0 system to see what it should look like.

Also, at first no X.
No /etc/XF86Config, no ln -s X.
I ran XF86Setup a couple of times and got it going.
Chose SVGA and the highest spec'ed generic monitor setting.
Since I'm running with the LCD display, there's no risk of frying it.

Anyway, I'm pleased with the install.  Relatively painless and didn't
seem to take long at all.

My other system is a Compaq Presario running RedHat 6.0.  Compaqs also
have a reputation for not being Linux-friendly but I've only had one
problem and it wasn't a big deal - back in the RedHat 4.0 days (2.0.27
kernel was it?), Linux wouldn't recognize PCI cards on the Compaq bus
when booted from LILO.  I had the system a long time before I even
noticed there was a problem because all my cards were ISA.  When I added
a PCI SCSI to controll an Iomega Jaz drive I found I had to use
LOADLIN.EXE to boot instead of LILO because of the PCI problem.  Anyway,
by the time RH5.1 came along, that was fixed, so I use LILO now, just
like God intended!



> > I'm planning to try out Linux lately and I'm looking for one that's easy to
> > setup.  Can anyone comment on the above mentioned version of Linuxs' setup?


> > Thanx!

> RedHat is almost foolproof
> SuSE, you need to watch out for a few moronic comments
> 1-You seem to be using a logical partition
> Do you want to put lilo on the extended partition
> 2-Do you wish to make the you want to put the partition
> active (logical)

> whoever wrote that must have been drunk. Saying yes to any
> of those will create problems.

> Aside from that, SuSE takes quite a while to setup, selection
> of numerous packages takes a long time and install is about 30 minutes
> or so. Install of RedHat is about 15-20 minutes.

> SuSE wins by a large margin as for stability and ease of use.
> The structure of the scripts of SuSE is far superior and
> they have a lot of nice apps plus a good intelligent dialer.

> --
> use OS/2 for a crash proof work environment
> use Linux for safe and quick internet access
> use Winblows to test the latest viruses
> http://www.netonecom.net/~bbcat/
> We have software, food, music, news, search,
> history, electronics and genealogy pages.

 
 
 

Suse 6.0 or Redhat 6.0

Post by u5.. » Wed, 30 Jun 1999 04:00:00



= whoever wrote that must have been drunk.

Or German with English as a second language, perhaps?

--
______________________________________________________________________________

|Andrew Halliwell       | "Don't run away.... We are your friends."          |
|Principal subjects in:-| *ZAP*  "AAAAAARGH" *BOOOM*                         |
|Comp Sci & Electronics |    - The translator device... Mars Attacks         |
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|GCv3.1 GCS/EL>$ d---(dpu) s+/- a- C++ U N++ K- w-- M+/++ PS+++ PE- Y t+ 5++ |
|X+/++ R+ tv+ b+ D G e>PhD h/h+ !r! !y-|I can't say F**K either now! >*SULK*<|
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 
 
 

Suse 6.0 or Redhat 6.0

Post by u5.. » Wed, 30 Jun 1999 04:00:00



= Actually, I ran into these two things:
= I wasn't paying attention durring the questions about LILO and somehow
= ended up with no LILO after I'd completed the install.  I had to re-boot
= off the CD-ROM, choose the "boot installed system" option and then setup
= LILO.  Unfortunately, /etc/lilo.conf didn't even exist so I had to go
= over to my RedHat6.0 system to see what it should look like.

If you'd gone into YaST, it could have created a LILO.conf for you with just
a few simple boxes to fill in...

YaST -> alter installation (?) -> LILO
(or something similar)

= Also, at first no X.
= No /etc/XF86Config, no ln -s X.
= I ran XF86Setup a couple of times and got it going.

SaX is much better. (It's an Updated XF86Setup)

--
|                       |What to do if you find yourself stuck in a crack in |

|                       |move, with no hope of rescue.                       |
|Andrew Halliwell       |Consider how lucky you are that life has been good  |
|Principal subjects in:-|to you so far...                                    |
|Comp Sci & Electronics |      -The BOOK, Hitch-hiker's guide to the galaxy. |
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|GCv3.1 GCS/EL>$ d---(dpu) s+/- a- C++ U N++ K- w-- M+/++ PS+++ PE- Y t+ 5++ |
|X+/++ R+ tv+ b+ D G e>PhD h/h+ !r! !y-|I can't say F**K either now! >*SULK*<|

 
 
 

Suse 6.0 or Redhat 6.0

Post by Stewart Honsberg » Wed, 30 Jun 1999 04:00:00



Quote:>> I'm planning to try out Linux lately and I'm looking for one that's easy to
>> setup.  Can anyone comment on the above mentioned version of Linuxs' setup?

>SuSE, you need to watch out for a few moronic comments
>1-You seem to be using a logical partition
>Do you want to put lilo on the extended partition
>2-Do you wish to make the you want to put the partition
>active (logical)

>whoever wrote that must have been drunk. Saying yes to any
>of those will create problems.

Keeping in mind that the SuSE team are German, of course.

Quote:>Aside from that, SuSE takes quite a while to setup, selection
>of numerous packages takes a long time and install is about 30 minutes
>or so. Install of RedHat is about 15-20 minutes.

RedHat's package selection also takes quite a while.

My second time installing SuSE took only a few seconds. I breezed through
the package selection so fast I barely had a chance to read the menus. As
for installation time; that's dependant on your hardware and packages
selected.

Quote:>SuSE wins by a large margin as for stability and ease of use.

This would be the selling point, not installation time and perfect use
of a second language ;>

--


Humming along under SuSE Linux 6.0 / OS/2 Warp 4

 
 
 

Suse 6.0 or Redhat 6.0

Post by Michel Catuda » Wed, 30 Jun 1999 04:00:00



> Well, I think SuSE 6.1 is a 2.0 kernel and RedHat 6.0 is a 2.2 kernel.

No. According to the book perhaps but as you install it is the
opposite to what is described in the book. I bought the version
that is sold at CompUSA and it came with kernel 2.2.7, not 2.2.5
as suggested on the box.

Quote:> I JUST NOW installed SuSE 6.1 on my wife's Thinkpad.
> First experience with SuSE and first experience with TPad.
> I was a bit apprehensive because I've heard TPs can be troublesome,
> but I'm happy to report installed without a hitch.
> X, KDE etc...no problem.
> I just took *wild* *guesses* at the video card and monitor settings and
> it seems to have worked fine.

> Looks like you want at least 600MB disk space.

> Actually, I ran into these two things:
> I wasn't paying attention durring the questions about LILO and somehow
> ended up with no LILO after I'd completed the install.  I had to re-boot
> off the CD-ROM, choose the "boot installed system" option and then setup
> LILO.  Unfortunately, /etc/lilo.conf didn't even exist so I had to go
> over to my RedHat6.0 system to see what it should look like.

Yast could have been a good way to get your system up and running.
You can boot to your partition with the CD.

Quote:> Also, at first no X.
> No /etc/XF86Config, no ln -s X.
> I ran XF86Setup a couple of times and got it going.
> Chose SVGA and the highest spec'ed generic monitor setting.
> Since I'm running with the LCD display, there's no risk of frying it.

sax would have been a better choice as it includes more drivers.

Quote:> Anyway, I'm pleased with the install.  Relatively painless and didn't
> seem to take long at all.

> My other system is a Compaq Presario running RedHat 6.0.  Compaqs also
> have a reputation for not being Linux-friendly but I've only had one
> problem and it wasn't a big deal - back in the RedHat 4.0 days (2.0.27
> kernel was it?), Linux wouldn't recognize PCI cards on the Compaq bus
> when booted from LILO.  I had the system a long time before I even
> noticed there was a problem because all my cards were ISA.  When I added
> a PCI SCSI to controll an Iomega Jaz drive I found I had to use
> LOADLIN.EXE to boot instead of LILO because of the PCI problem.  Anyway,
> by the time RH5.1 came along, that was fixed, so I use LILO now, just
> like God intended!

--
use OS/2 for a crash proof work environment
use Linux for safe and quick internet access
use Winblows to test the latest viruses
http://www.netonecom.net/~bbcat/
We have software, food, music, news, search,
history, electronics and genealogy pages.
 
 
 

Suse 6.0 or Redhat 6.0

Post by Michel Catuda » Wed, 30 Jun 1999 04:00:00




> = whoever wrote that must have been drunk.

> Or German with English as a second language, perhaps?

The last part must have been a typo.

   2-Do you wish to make the "you want to put the" partition
   active (logical)

The quoted section should have been deleted. The message was
on its way when I noticed it and the line went dead. I was no
longer able to get back on the net to change the message.
It does look weird  ...

--
use OS/2 for a crash proof work environment
use Linux for safe and quick internet access
use Winblows to test the latest viruses
http://www.netonecom.net/~bbcat/
We have software, food, music, news, search,
history, electronics and genealogy pages.