Sound on Asus K7M Mobo vs. ALSA Driver CVS

Sound on Asus K7M Mobo vs. ALSA Driver CVS

Post by Young4er » Sun, 04 Nov 2001 08:19:51

Hi,

I have a Linux system composed of an Asus K7M mobo with an AMD Ahtlon CPU.
The machine is running Mandrake 8.1.  I have upgraded the alsa driver from
the CVS tree.  When I did "pmidi -l", I got the following in return:

        Port     Client name                       Port name
        64:0     External MIDI 0                   MIDI 0-0

This means the ALSA driver has correctly initialized a MIDI port.  However,
when I executed "pmidi -p 64:0 filename.mid", the pmidi just sitted there
and no sound came out from the speakers.  I had the alsamixer running and
the volume is set 50% to 100% and still no sound came out.  After a while,
pmidi terminated with no error and I saw the shell prompt.  I guessed the
pmidi played the songs but the soundcard did not deliver the sound to the
speakers.  Can anyone please tell me what's wrong?  BTW, "kmid" shows no
midi ports at all.

TIA.

Post by Gregory Davi » Sun, 04 Nov 2001 08:44:30

> I have upgraded the alsa driver from
> the CVS tree.

Try a stable release... currently it is 0.5.x.  The 0.9beta series looks
mature, but they seem to be adding support for new cards fairly frequently.
 Also, the KDE desktop environment only natively uses 0.5.x; therefore if
you grabbed a cvs version, kmid will have unpredictable behavior.

Greg

Post by Young4er » Sun, 04 Nov 2001 09:34:32

>> I have upgraded the alsa driver from
>> the CVS tree.

> Try a stable release... currently it is 0.5.x.  The 0.9beta series looks
> mature, but they seem to be adding support for new cards fairly
> frequently.
>  Also, the KDE desktop environment only natively uses 0.5.x; therefore if
> you grabbed a cvs version, kmid will have unpredictable behavior.

> Greg

Same thing.  That's why I upgraded to ALSA CVS.  BTW, pmidi will not work
with ALSA 0.5x.

1. Asus K7M Mobo Sound vs. Alsa Driver

[...]

2. String Streams

3. Asus K7M Sound VS. ALSA CVS

4. Linux and Stealth2 G460

5. Sound driver for ASUS K7M onboard sound

7. built in audion Asus K7M mobo?

8. DNEWS 4 News Server Mthly Pointer to FAQ

9. K7M mobo vs. Midi + Sequencer

10. Asus K7M vs FIC SDll athlon boards??

11. Via Sound Card on Asus K7M Mother Board

12. Sound: Kernel Drivers vs ALSA

13. UDMA-Driver (IDE) 4 ASUS K7M