RH 7.2 and kernel 2.4.16, can not boot

Post by And » Wed, 28 Nov 2001 15:53:29

When the computer start...it tries to checking the root
partition...and it says ok...then remounting root in read write
mode...it says failed.   What could be wrong ?  It was very easy to
use new kernel in 7.1.

Any clue ?
My sistem does not have SCSI, just IDE.

Thank you
Andy

RH 7.2 and kernel 2.4.16, can not boot

Post by Michael Lee Yoh » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 03:16:59

Quote:> When the computer start...it tries to checking the root
> partition...and it says ok...then remounting root in read write
> mode...it says failed.   What could be wrong ?  It was very easy to
> use new kernel in 7.1.

Have you tried using an older version of the kernel?  More importantly,
what configuration file did you use for your kernel (2.4.16)?  Are you
sure that all the drivers for your devices are supported by the LT kernel?

--

Software Developer, Engineering Services
Red Hat, Inc.

QUIPd 1.00: (111 of 533)
-> The only way to discover the limits of the possible is to go
-> beyond them into the impossible.
-> - Arthur C. Clarke

RH 7.2 and kernel 2.4.16, can not boot

Post by Kerry C » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 04:37:37

Have you installed the latest ext3 patch to the 2.4.16 kernel source?
Grab the patch here:
http://www.uow.edu.au/~andrewm/linux/ext3/
The site appears to have some problems right now, but check back or do
a search.
Simply read the directions on the page and then apply the changes.
If you did not convert to ext3, then your problem might be something
else, but we need more info to further help.
Kerry

> When the computer start...it tries to checking the root
> partition...and it says ok...then remounting root in read write
> mode...it says failed.   What could be wrong ?  It was very easy to
> use new kernel in 7.1.

> Any clue ?
> My sistem does not have SCSI, just IDE.

> Thank you
> Andy

RH 7.2 and kernel 2.4.16, can not boot

Post by And » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 11:47:22

First of all, thank you for your respons and help.

I have 3 partitions :
1. Win98SE
2. / (ext3)
3. swap
4. /home (ext3)

I have tried this before with 2.4.15 but still no luck.  And then I
saw the news about the umount bug so I thought that was the case.
Before the system is mounting any fs I can see the ext3 start...so I
thought it supposed to be ok with ext3.

I'm sure all of my hardware is supported with this kernel.  It is just
a plain ASUS TUSL2-C, PIII800 and Quantum 30GB IDE.

checking root filesystem [ok]
remounting root filesystem in read-write mode : mount : no such
partitions found  [failed]

but it seems to me that the mounting was success, but in a read-only
mode.  Take a look at this :

mv: cannot move `/var/log/ksyms.0` to `/var/log/ksyms.1`: Read-only
file system
updating /etc/fstab failed to open /etc/fstab.NEW: Read-only file
system  [failed]

the system finally stop at :

Starting system logger:

hmm...I'm getting hot over here :)
Really appriciate any help.

Thank you in advance
Andy

RH 7.2 and kernel 2.4.16, can not boot

Post by Eggert Ehmk » Thu, 29 Nov 2001 19:36:42

Quote:>I have tried this before with 2.4.15 but still no luck.  ...

That may be your problem, 2.4.15 is faulty and may have damaged your
filesystem. My system runs fine with 2.4.16 and ext3, without additional
patches.

--
Eggert Ehmke

RH 7.2 and kernel 2.4.16, can not boot

Post by And » Fri, 30 Nov 2001 11:20:21

I don't believe so, since everytime I failed to boot with the new
kernel, the next boot I choose the old kernel 2.4.7-10 and everything
was ok.  It's still ok until now.

Thank you for your respond
Best regards
Andy

Post by S. Par » Fri, 30 Nov 2001 12:53:34

> I don't believe so, since everytime I failed to boot with the new
> kernel, the next boot I choose the old kernel 2.4.7-10 and everything
> was ok.  It's still ok until now.

> Thank you for your respond
> Best regards
> Andy

>> >I have tried this before with 2.4.15 but still no luck.  ...

>> That may be your problem, 2.4.15 is faulty and may have damaged your
>> filesystem. My system runs fine with 2.4.16 and ext3, without
>> additional patches.

As somebody already asked, did you ever install and run any other kernel
than RH supplied (2.4.7-10)? Also, can you explain a bit more how you
compiled and installed the kernel? For example, did you set ext3 Y in
config?

Regards.

RH 7.2 and kernel 2.4.16, can not boot

Post by And » Fri, 30 Nov 2001 15:50:41

I finally found what caused the problem.
I turned on the /dev filesystem in File System section.
As soon as remove this option, recompile...everything works !

Thank you for all of your suggestion and help.
Best regards
Andy

1. RH 7.2, ext 3 and Kernel 2.4.16

Has anyone tried to build and use 2.4.16 with RH 7.2 + ext3 ?
Using the new kernel, when computer start it says ... check root
partition...ok...then remounting root partition in read-write
mode...failed.  and all subsequent mountings are failed.

Any clue ?

I get so frustrated since with 7.1 it was so easy.

Thank you
Andy

2. Starting up programs at boot time

3. Trouble with NFS demaon on RH 7.2 and kernel 2.4.16

4. TCP error on open server ver. 3.2

5. 2.4.16: "Address family not supported" on RH IBM T23

6. /dev/mcd and multisession CD

7. Boot loop, kernel 2.4.16

8. TCP retransmits

9. Power off NOT working, kernel 2.4.16

10. kernel 2.4.16-pre1 not compiling without SMP

11. Debian Dist - 2.4.3 Kernel to 2.4.16 Kernel

12. 2.4.16 not loading SCSI module

13. Frequent kernel crashes with 2.4.16