kernel version numbering scheme - modules

kernel version numbering scheme - modules

Post by Christoph Kukulie » Thu, 23 May 2002 18:54:32

In the course of compiling a kernel to fit a certain binary module
(SX6000 Promise raid controller) I wonder how I can force
a kernel having a certain version number. (The module otherwise
doesn't load). using insmod -f gives a seg fault btw.
(RH 6.1, kernel 2.2.16)

I was running 2.2.17-14 before but since the binary module did not fit
the kernel version I stepped back to 2.2.16, downloaed and compiled
from ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.2/linux-2.2.16.tar.gz
(BTW, what are the patch files with same kernel version for?)

I got a modules directory /lib/modules/2.2.16-3 somehow.

Can I force to have a directory for kernel and modules of 2.2.16-22?
This is the version the binary module is built for.

What mechanism produces the -xx subversion?

And coming back to the raid controller module. How do I tell the
kernel to load it at boot time (to detect and configure my raid disks)?

--

1. Module Programming: module version vs. kernel version

Dear all,

I've just started learning kernel programming on Linux. I just tried an
example "hello, world" module program. The program looks like:
#define MODULE
#include <linux/module.h>
int init_module(void)
{ print out a hello message}
void cleanup_module(void)
{print out a goodbye message}

It can be compiled into .o but when I tried to insmod, I got this error
message:
module compiled for kernel version 2.4.0-xxx
kernel version is 2.2.16-xxx

I have no clue how to fix it. Please help. Thank you very much.

Crystal

2. Athlon cache-line fix

3. Fitting the Sun's package scheme with Perl's module scheme?

4. The Linvocates have finally "flipped" :)

5. Kernel numbering schemes

6. httpd doesn't show background for generated page

7. beginner module question: kernel-module version mismatch

8. Apache SECURITY ADVISORY: June 17, 2002

9. Block number numbering scheme

11. load module error--kernel-module version mismatch

12. Kernel Module != Kernel Version ???