Considering buying a DEC Alpha UDB (Multia)

Considering buying a DEC Alpha UDB (Multia)

Post by Brian Vogl » Tue, 15 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I'm considering buying a UDB/Multia VX40A-F3B.  Any words of caution or
praise?  Are there any HW gotchas that could cause me to want to pull my
hair out, or does all go well?

Thanks,

--Brian

Considering buying a DEC Alpha UDB (Multia)

Post by David Shaffe » Thu, 17 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I'm considering buying a UDB/Multia VX40A-F3B.  Any words of caution or
> praise?  Are there any HW gotchas that could cause me to want to pull my
> hair out, or does all go well?

i have one.  it is a really cool machine - however..

o 3 stage booting to get to linux. you have to boot into dos first.  i
finally just used an unlicensed version of dec unix ( dec will not support
it )

o  make sure you buy the correct memory - also, it only supports up to 32M
simms, 64s will not work

o  it has 2 pcmcia slots on the back - pretty cool but useless (what do you
use it for) and doesn't work for me.

o  i never could get the sound to work.  supposed to be some setting but it
did not work for me.

o  it is a really cool little machine.  it is too bad that dec was so into
mickeysoft.

o  built in networking and scsi are cool and work.   you will want to buy an
external case for your hd though - because of heat and all.  it is the old
scsi2.

o  so much potential - so little support and implementation.

1. X-Windows and DEC Alpha Multia UDB

Does anyone have any experience setting up X-Windows with Red Hat 5 on
the DEC Alpha Multia UDB.
I believe that I installed the TGA server but I get a message saying
that it requires a "MemBase" address.
I can't see what my run options are for startx to see what the MemBAse
address refers to.

Scott Chase

 This message sent via http://www.talkway.com/.  Surf Usenet!

2. Backspace on other UNIXs (^H <-> ^?)

3. DEC ALPHA MULTIA UDB as linux box

4. HELP! with EtherExpress PRO

5. FS: DEC UDB (Multia 233)

6. StarOffice a lame duck??

7. Thinking about buying a UDB (Multia)

8. Installation problems, problems, problems!

9. Need help with XF86config for Intel Multia (DEC UDB)

10. FS in Uk: Dec Multia / UDB

11. DEC UDB MULTIA 166MHz

12. DEC Multia UDB - compile time