Mounting Amiga FFS hard drive under Linux

Mounting Amiga FFS hard drive under Linux

Post by mark harma » Mon, 17 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hi, I've obtained an Amiga hard disk which I'm trying to read on my PC. I
have Suse Linux which I've recompiled to include Amiga FFS support, but
I'm having trouble reading it. I have the disk attached as slave and
tried:

mount /dev/hdb -t affs /mnt/amiga

and got the message: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on
/dev/hdb, or too many mounted filesystems

If I try /dev/hdb1 I get the same message, followed by: (aren't you trying
to mount an extended partition, instead of some logical partition inside?)

Are these commands right? Should I be using something other than affs? If
I run fdisk, it shows the drive as not having any partitions - is this
normal? I don't know whether the partition table is stored the same or not
on different platforms?

It could be that the disk is actually unreadable, but I just want to make
sure I'm doing the right thing before giving up.

Thanks,

Mark

Post by Triz » Mon, 17 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> and got the message: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on
> /dev/hdb, or too many mounted filesystems

If I don't remeber ti wrong, you have to recompile the kernal so that affs
support is added.

Quote:> Are these commands right? Should I be using something other than affs? If
> I run fdisk, it shows the drive as not having any partitions - is this
> normal? I don't know whether the partition table is stored the same or not
> on different platforms?

fdisk only knows "windows" file systems and therefore thing the harddrive is
empty.

 //Trizt

     IRC: lib.hel.fi:6667                    Chan: #linux         Nick: Trizt
     ICQ: 13696780
  System: Siamese System AmiOS/qDos+  (MC68040/25  PPC603e/160  AMD K6-3/400)
  Get Paid to Surf the Web: http://www.alladvantage.com/home.asp?refid=APR115

Mounting Amiga FFS hard drive under Linux

Post by Jukka Ah » Tue, 18 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi, I've obtained an Amiga hard disk which I'm trying to read on
> my PC. I have Suse Linux which I've recompiled to include Amiga
> FFS support, but I'm having trouble reading it. [...] If I run
> fdisk, it shows the drive as not having any partitions - is this
> normal? I don't know whether the partition table is stored the
> same or not on different platforms?

I have never had a chance to try reading my Amiga hard disks on a
PC (since most PCs use IDE and my Amiga hard disks are SCSI), but
I've been wondering this same thing ever since I encountered the
FFS support in Linux.

The partitioning system is very different on Amiga and on a PC
clone. Amiga has just 'partitions' with different boot priorities.
(There is no 'logical', 'primary', 'extended' etc. *to worry
about.) I don't know how affs exactly handles it, but it obviously
should be able to do it, since the documentation mentions RDB (Rigid
Disk Block) which is one feature of Amiga hard disk partitioning
scheme.

Have you read this
<http://www.veryComputer.com/;?

 -- znark

Post by Gerald Schnabe » Tue, 18 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> Hi, I've obtained an Amiga hard disk which I'm trying to read on my PC. I
> have Suse Linux which I've recompiled to include Amiga FFS support, but
> I'm having trouble reading it. I have the disk attached as slave and
> tried:

> mount /dev/hdb -t affs /mnt/amiga

> and got the message: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on
> /dev/hdb, or too many mounted filesystems

Forget it! The linux AMIGA FFS does not work because it tries to mount
the
harddisk with the wrong geometry!

I found this when playing with the debug mode. It only worked for me
when I dumped
an image of a partition and mounted this image. Sorry can't tell more
because I tried
it a long time ago...

Regards

--

Gerald

Mounting Amiga FFS hard drive under Linux

Post by Dale Kin » Wed, 19 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Mark,

I this working fine but with a SCSI hard drive from an A530.  I used redhat
with affs as a kernel module.  I've never tried an IDE drive though but I
can't see why it would be any different.

To check that FFS support is working you could try mounting an ADF file via
the loopback device.  I don't remember the commands but they are in the
mount manpage.

Good luck,
Dale