CAD for model railroading?

Post by John E. Garrot » Wed, 08 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Any model railroaders out there doing layouts under Linux?

I've tried track layouts with xfig and tgif.  Although I use both
for other purposes, I am not satisfied with either for this purpose.
Might be my skill level (or lack thereof).  I don't no.

From what I've read, LinuxCAD is out.  I'm not opposed to commercial
products per se, but have a retiree's income to purchase software on.

Suggestions, experiences, etc  are welcome.

Thanks in advance,

John

CAD for model railroading?

Post by Robert Helle » Fri, 10 Sep 1999 04:00:00

  In a message on Tue, 07 Sep 1999 19:52:40 -0700, wrote :

"EG> Any model railroaders out there doing layouts under Linux?
"EG>
"EG> I've tried track layouts with xfig and tgif.  Although I use both
"EG> for other purposes, I am not satisfied with either for this purpose.
"EG> Might be my skill level (or lack thereof).  I don't no.
"EG>
"EG> From what I've read, LinuxCAD is out.  I'm not opposed to commercial
"EG> products per se, but have a retiree's income to purchase software on.
"EG>
"EG> Suggestions, experiences, etc  are welcome.
"EG>
"EG> Thanks in advance,
"EG>
"EG> John
"EG>

Finally got on-line:

XTrkCad, http://www.sillub.com/, shareware, US$65 shareware fee.

--
                                     \/

http://www.deepsoft.com              /\FidoNet:    1:321/153

CAD for model railroading?

Post by Robert Helle » Fri, 10 Sep 1999 04:00:00

  In a message on Tue, 07 Sep 1999 19:52:40 -0700, wrote :

"EG> Any model railroaders out there doing layouts under Linux?
"EG>
"EG> I've tried track layouts with xfig and tgif.  Although I use both
"EG> for other purposes, I am not satisfied with either for this purpose.
"EG> Might be my skill level (or lack thereof).  I don't no.
"EG>
"EG> From what I've read, LinuxCAD is out.  I'm not opposed to commercial
"EG> products per se, but have a retiree's income to purchase software on.
"EG>
"EG> Suggestions, experiences, etc  are welcome.
"EG>
"EG> Thanks in advance,

There does exist a freeware/shareware Linux RR CAD program.  I can't get
you a website right now -- my ISP is busy (can't go on-line right now).
I *think* the program is xtrakcad or something.  It was developed under
Linux and then ported to MS-Windows.  I think the Linux version might
still be available somewhere.  It uses an 'odd' Widget set that I found
hard to use.

"EG>
"EG> John
"EG>