Win95 Restore; Reinstall LILO

Post by dringk » Wed, 18 Feb 1998 04:00:00

My system consists of an HP Pavilion PC with two hard drives.  One 2.1
Gig drive is for Windows 95 (which I almost never use), and the other
2.1 Gig drive is for Linux (which I always use).  The Windows side of
the PC has become all mucked up, and I want to just wipe it out and
restore it to the way it was when I bought the PC.  I can do that, since
I have an "emergency recover" floppy and CD-ROM.

The question: when I restore my PC to the way it was when it was bought,
I'm assmuing LILO will be wiped out too.  After the PC drive is restore,
how can I put LILO back in the system so I can access my Linux drive
again?

Dave Ringkor

http://home.stlnet.com/~dringkor

Win95 Restore; Reinstall LILO

Post by Neil Ricke » Wed, 18 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>The question: when I restore my PC to the way it was when it was bought,
>I'm assmuing LILO will be wiped out too.  After the PC drive is restore,
>how can I put LILO back in the system so I can access my Linux drive
>again?

Before you try your restore, get a clean formatted floppy, and put it
in '/dev/fd0'.

Now, assuming that your lilo is in the MBR of your first IDE drive, use

  dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/fd0 count=1

You should then be able to boot from this floppy, with the usual lilo
choices.  When you have finished restoring, assuming that your linux
partition has not been wiped out too, use this floppy to boot into
linux.  Then rerun the 'lilo' command to reinstall your lilo boot
setup.

Win95 Restore; Reinstall LILO

Post by Jürgen Exne » Wed, 18 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Boot from your Linux emergency boot floppy and run /sbin/lilo.

jue
--
Jrgen Exner; jurgenex AT microsoft.com
Sorry for this anti-spam inconvenience

Post by nate dutr » Wed, 18 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>My system consists of an HP Pavilion PC with two hard drives.  One 2.1
>Gig drive is for Windows 95 (which I almost never use), and the other
>2.1 Gig drive is for Linux (which I always use).  The Windows side of
>the PC has become all mucked up, and I want to just wipe it out and
>restore it to the way it was when I bought the PC.  I can do that, since
>I have an "emergency recover" floppy and CD-ROM.

>The question: when I restore my PC to the way it was when it was bought,
>I'm assmuing LILO will be wiped out too.  After the PC drive is restore,
>how can I put LILO back in the system so I can access my Linux drive
>again?

Boot with a linux boot disk...say the one you made with slackware or the one
that came with redhat...

at the first prompt you get, type mount root=/dev/hda2  or wherever your
linux partition was

log on as root...type /sbin/lilo

it should add your configuration just like before.

later.
nate

Win95 Restore; Reinstall LILO

Post by Bill William » Wed, 18 Feb 1998 04:00:00

One of the easiest ways would be to run install lilo onto a floppy or two
(you know reliable floppies are, that's why I would do two), and then test
them to make sure they both boot your linux system okay.  Then do your
restore, and then boot from your lilo diskette, then install lilo again to
the boot sector on your first hard drive.  Should be pretty simple and
painless.  There are other ways to do this, of course, but I like this one
myself.

Bill~

>My system consists of an HP Pavilion PC with two hard drives.  One 2.1
>Gig drive is for Windows 95 (which I almost never use), and the other
>2.1 Gig drive is for Linux (which I always use).  The Windows side of
>the PC has become all mucked up, and I want to just wipe it out and
>restore it to the way it was when I bought the PC.  I can do that, since
>I have an "emergency recover" floppy and CD-ROM.

>The question: when I restore my PC to the way it was when it was bought,
>I'm assmuing LILO will be wiped out too.  After the PC drive is restore,
>how can I put LILO back in the system so I can access my Linux drive
>again?

>Dave Ringkor

>http://home.stlnet.com/~dringkor

1. HELP!: Lost LILO after reinstalling Win95

Hi,

I had posted a request earlier for help with my LILO problem. I
reinstalled Win95 and overwrote the MBR (and thus lost LILO and access
to Linux 6.0 that was running on my PC).

I got replies from two people Jim and Anita. Thanks for your replies.

I followed their suggestions and tried to boot my pc with linux.
I was unable to. My original problem was because of a bad floppy disk (?)
giving me an error message 0x10.

I then downloaded an image file from redhat and created
a boot diskette using rawrite. With this, I was able to type "rescue"
at boot prompt and get the machine to read the floppy and
go through the bootup process. However, it stopped with a message:
.
.
.
md driver 0.90.0 MAX_MD_DEVS=256, MAX_REAL=12
Partition check:
hda: hda1 hda2 <hda5> hda3
hdb: hdb2 hdb3
VFS: cannot open root device 08:32
kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:32

 08:32 Does that mean anything?

I tried the command "linux hd=/dev/hdb3" (also linux hd=/tmp/hdb3)
at boot: prompt, where /dev/hdb3 is the linux native partition.
This did not help as the boot floppy put me into an installation setup.

Is there anything else I can do? Or, am I doing something wrong at
the very basic level? Unfortunately I do not have the installation CDs
as I had borrowed a friend's copy and I do not have access to it again.

If my disk parititioning information can be of any help I have included it
below:

I was able to get this information using an old installation CDs I got from

Infomagic.

Disk: /tmp/hda: 128 heads, 63 sectors, 624 cylinders
Units: Cylinders of 8064x512 bytes
Device    Boot Begin    Start End       Blocks  Id      System
/tmp/hda1       *       3       3       328     1314432         6       Dos 16-bit>=32MB
/tmp/hda2               329     329     623     1189440 5       Extended
/tmp/hda3               1       1       2         8032+ 12      Unknown
/tmp/hda5               329     329     623     1189408+        6       Dos16-bit>=32MB

Disk: /tmp/hdb: 64 heads, 63 sectors, 1022 cylinders
Units: Cylinders of 4032*512 bytes
Device   Boot  Begin    Start End       Blocks  Id      System
/tmp/hdb2               1       1       66      133024+ 82      Linux Swap
/tmp/hdb3               67      67      1022    1927296 83      Linux Native

Hoping to hear from the Linux Guru's!

regards,
SRI.

2. Giving remote (ssh) user superuser rights?

3. reinstalled win95 -- lilo gone

4. How to retrieve data if partition magic is deleted

5. Remove LILO, and reinstall Win95's MBR?

6. Memory

7. How to reinstall LILO after Win95

8. Problem With Intel InBusiness 10/100 NIC

9. reinstalling win95 killed my lilo boot stuff?!?!

10. reinstalling win95, cofig LILO

11. I reinstalled Win95 and LILO is GONE??

12. System restore without reinstalling Solaris?

13. Restore ext2 partition after a reinstall of the OS