Building rpm's from tarballs.

Post by Madhusudan Sing » Sun, 12 Aug 2001 03:23:37

Hi,
        I have the following rpm rpm's installed :

rpm-4.0.2-8
rpm-python-4.0.2-8
rpmfind-1.6-5
rpm-build-4.0.2-8
rpmdb-redhat-7.1-0.20010408
gnorpm-0.96-1
rpm-devel-4.0.2-8
rpm2html-1.5-4
rpmlint-0.28-2

When I try to build a binary rpm for my platform from a tarball(rpm
--tarbuild <tarball>, like in the manpage), it fails with an unknown
option error. What could I be missing ?

Thanks,

Madhusudan Singh.

Post by Stev » Sun, 12 Aug 2001 04:12:41

>Hi,
>    I have the following rpm rpm's installed :

>rpm-4.0.2-8
>rpm-python-4.0.2-8
>rpmfind-1.6-5
>rpm-build-4.0.2-8
>rpmdb-redhat-7.1-0.20010408
>gnorpm-0.96-1
>rpm-devel-4.0.2-8
>rpm2html-1.5-4
>rpmlint-0.28-2

>When I try to build a binary rpm for my platform from a tarball(rpm
>--tarbuild <tarball>, like in the manpage), it fails with an unknown
>option error. What could I be missing ?

have a look at the rpm houwto, it may tell you what you're missing.

--
Cheers

%HAV-A-NICEDAY Error not enough coffee  0 pps.

web http://www.zeropps.uklinux.net/

or  http://start.at/zero-pps

  8:08pm  up 27 days, 22:11,  2 users,  load average: 1.02, 1.19, 1.11

Building rpm's from tarballs.

Post by Swif » Sun, 12 Aug 2001 17:55:00

On Fri, 10 Aug 2001 14:23:37 -0400, Madhusudan Singh
[snip]

Quote:>  When I try to build a binary rpm for my platform from a tarball(rpm
>  --tarbuild <tarball>, like in the manpage), it fails with an unknown
>  option error. What could I be missing ?

I think, in order to be able to build from a tarball, you do need to have the
spec-file laying around (well, actually it should be in
/usr/src/<distribution>/SPECS).

--
  SwifT
  |- LUG : http://www.lugwv.be

1. Building RPMs from KDE tarballs

As the subject says, I'm trying to build RPMs for RH7.3 from the tar-
balls provided in the KDE source directory.

There seems to be some groundwork in place already, since the tar-
balls contain <packagename>.spec.in files - however, I'm not at all
familiar with the '.spec.in' convention.

Normally, I would expect a file called <something>.in to need pre-
processing with something like automake or somesuch. Is there a tool
that these included spec files need to be run through to make them
work? Or is there some obscure makefile target that would convert
them to proper .spec-files?

Looking at the files, they seem to be valid and complete specfile;
so why are they called .spec.in? Simply invoking 'rpm -tb' on the
tarballs does not work, presumably because it's not finding valid
specfiles - however, the error messages I get for different tar-
balls are different: somtimes, I get a complaint that the working
directory was only 4 bytes large. In these cases, it seems like
rpm is somehow trying to decompress the directory which contains
the tarball, instead of the tarball itself. With some other ar-
chives, I get complaints about sections missing from the spec-
file (like version numbers, etc.).

Is there some documentation available on how to use the included
.spec.in files? Or is there something else I'm missing in the use
of the '-t*' option of rpm - the manpage is very terse there.

Thanks a bunch,

        -Chris

--
   Christian Hamacher    |   phone:+49-241-80 27912   |  So I cheered
 Communication Networks  |   fax : +49-241-80 22242   |  up, and sure

    Aachen, Germany      |                            |  got worse ...

2. Help a semi-newbie w/Telnet =)

3. Can't build 'compat-binutils' RPM in RH6.2!

4. Java Binary Problems

5. ANNOUNCE:KDE 2 PreAlpha build binaries (02052000) available - RPM's and tar.gz's.

6. Public time server?

7. Cannot RPM-build 'kuery'

8. I have some sort of permission problem with samba

9. RPM problems with apt and custom built courier rpms

10. RPM and Tarball Etiquette

11. RPM and Tarball Packages Dilema in Red Hat 6.2

12. Tarball from RPM

13. GNOME install- RPM or tarball source?