Laser printer, which one will in Linux

Post by henk van der knaa » Tue, 13 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Dear Readers,

I intend to buy a laser printer. The following brands are available here:

Hewlett Packard, Canon, Oki, Brother (These are the main names)

Can anybody, please, advise me which one works particularly well under
Linux?

With much appreciation,

Henk

Henk van der Knaap,
92 Halswell Junction Road,
Christchurch, New Zealand.
Phone/fax 64 3 3229185

Operating system is Linux Debian 2.1

Post by Bob Tenne » Tue, 13 Apr 1999 04:00:00

 >I intend to buy a laser printer. The following brands are available here:
 >
 >Hewlett Packard, Canon, Oki, Brother (These are the main names)
 >
 >Can anybody, please, advise me which one works particularly well under
 >Linux?

http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/pht/printer_list.cgi?predef=BL

Bob T.

Post by Jeremy L. Buchman » Tue, 13 Apr 1999 04:00:00

: Dear Readers,
: I intend to buy a laser printer. The following brands are available here:
: Hewlett Packard, Canon, Oki, Brother (These are the main names)
: Can anybody, please, advise me which one works particularly well under
: Linux?

If you have the money, get one that understands Postscript.  That saves A
LOT of trouble!  NEC and Lexmark (not on your list, unfortunetly) offer
small laser printers for about $300-$350US that have optional Postscript
modules that cost an additional ~$100.  Otherwise, most laser printers
that understand Postscript cost at least $1200.

Jeremy Buchmann       "Those who trade freedom for safety deserve

Laser printer, which one will in Linux

Post by Luca Filipoz » Tue, 13 Apr 1999 04:00:00

says...

> : Dear Readers,
> : I intend to buy a laser printer. The following brands are available here:
> : Hewlett Packard, Canon, Oki, Brother (These are the main names)
> : Can anybody, please, advise me which one works particularly well under
> : Linux?

> If you have the money, get one that understands Postscript.  That saves A
> LOT of trouble!  NEC and Lexmark (not on your list, unfortunetly) offer
> small laser printers for about $300-$350US that have optional Postscript
> modules that cost an additional ~$100.  Otherwise, most laser printers
> that understand Postscript cost at least $1200.

I strongly agree. Postscript!
--

Post by David F » Tue, 13 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> : Dear Readers,
> : I intend to buy a laser printer. The following brands are available here:
> : Hewlett Packard, Canon, Oki, Brother (These are the main names)
> : Can anybody, please, advise me which one works particularly well under
> : Linux?

> If you have the money, get one that understands Postscript.  That saves A
> LOT of trouble!  NEC and Lexmark (not on your list, unfortunetly) offer
> small laser printers for about $300-$350US that have optional Postscript
> modules that cost an additional ~$100.  Otherwise, most laser printers
> that understand Postscript cost at least $1200.

Beware, many of those Postscript modules are for DOS/Windows only.
Lexmark is particularly notorious for making Windows-only printers.
--
David Fox           http://hci.ucsd.edu/dsf             xoF divaD
UCSD HCI Lab                                         baL ICH DSCU

Laser printer, which one will in Linux

Post by Bob Tenne » Tue, 13 Apr 1999 04:00:00

 >: I intend to buy a laser printer. The following brands are available here:
 >: Hewlett Packard, Canon, Oki, Brother (These are the main names)
 >: Can anybody, please, advise me which one works particularly well under
 >: Linux?
 >
 >If you have the money, get one that understands Postscript.  That saves A
 >LOT of trouble!

If one gets a printer that is supported by ghostscript and have
a distribution with a printer-setup tool, it's not much trouble.

Bob T.

1. printer advice: NEC Superscript laser printer

I want to buy a printer, probably a personal laser printer
(although I might consider ink jets), and am looking for a good one.

Does anyone know if I would be able to use the
NEC Superscript 860 laser printer with linux?

This laser printer uses the Adobe Printgear printer description language
instead of PCL or postscript.  I can't afford to buy a postscript
printer, but I know that ghostscript would allow me to convert from
PCL to postscript and back.

Any other advice would be welcomed.
Thanks for your help.

Meredith Goldsmith

2. DHCP Client / Server

3. Laser printer Vs Line printer

4. Gateway problem

5. linux compatible laser printer

6. Mac PICT -> Postscript converter needed

7. Laser Printer under Linux??? Need help badly....

8. Home network with SLIP

9. What is the best Linux Laser printer under $400

10. Recommended laser printer for Linux?

11. Laser printer for Linux (HP 6L vs Lexmark Optra E+)?

12. laser printers for LINUX

13. Need help buying laser printer for Linux!!!