console msgs on Root window?

Post by bad_kne » Sat, 18 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I seem to remember seeing a screenshot of someones Xwindows setup,
and they had the console messages writing to the root window
(over the top of the background "wallpaper" shit).

Anyone know how this is done?

console msgs on Root window?

Post by Neil » Sat, 18 Mar 2000 04:00:00

>I seem to remember seeing a screenshot of someones Xwindows setup,
>and they had the console messages writing to the root window
>(over the top of the background "wallpaper" shit).

man syslog ? and man syslogd ? (I think)

console msgs on Root window?

Post by Basti » Sat, 18 Mar 2000 04:00:00

>I seem to remember seeing a screenshot of someones Xwindows setup,
>and they had the console messages writing to the root window
>(over the top of the background "wallpaper" shit).

>Anyone know how this is done?

You can use a transparent terminal (eg. Eterm). It can also be started
borderless and the --geometry option.

Bastian

console msgs on Root window?

Post by bad_kne » Sat, 18 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> >I seem to remember seeing a screenshot of someones Xwindows setup,
> >and they had the console messages writing to the root window
> >(over the top of the background "wallpaper" shit).

> >Anyone know how this is done?

> You can use a transparent terminal (eg. Eterm). It can also be started
> borderless and the --geometry option.

> Bastian

yep.. that did it -- thanks.

if anyone is interested... I got the Eterm rpm from redhat (rawhide
section).
had to upgrad imlib to 1.9.7 also.

entries in syslog (display on console, but keep writing to
/var/log/mess):
# Log anything (except mail) of level info or higher.
# Don't log private authentication messages!
*.info;mail.none;authpriv.none
/var/log/messages
*.info;mail.none;authpriv.none
/dev/console

script to launch eterm using same pixmap as root window:
#!/bin/sh
# background root window pixmap
BACKGROUND="/usr/share/wallpapers/matrix.wallpaper.0.jpg"
# --geometry = WxH+X+Y
# call Esetroot so background matches root window
Esetroot "$BACKGROUND"
# start eterm
Eterm -x -C --trans --scrollbar-popup --geometry 185x40+120+40

the geometry setting is kinda funky with eterm, you'll have to play
with it to get it set right.. I didn't fill the whole window, just
a chunk of it.

Anyone know how to get eterm to ignore rat clicks (focus)?

console msgs on Root window?

Post by John David Bowd » Sat, 25 Mar 2000 04:00:00

: I seem to remember seeing a screenshot of someones Xwindows setup,
: and they had the console messages writing to the root window
: (over the top of the background "wallpaper" shit).

You can avoid using a trans. term by downloading xtail (freshmeat.net?)
which essentially does the same thing.  It writes directly to the root
window ("wallpaper").

John

Memorial University of Newfoundland
"...we don't look at things the same way anymore.  For there was once a
time when we expected the worst.  But then the worst happened, did it not?
And so we will never be surprised again."
 --Douglas Coupland, "Life After God"

console msgs on Root window?

Post by Stefano Ghirland » Sat, 25 Mar 2000 04:00:00

: I seem to remember seeing a screenshot of someones Xwindows setup,
: and they had the console messages writing to the root window
: (over the top of the background "wallpaper" shit).

: Anyone know how this is done?

I remember a program called roottail or tailroot which did this, but
I don't know where you may find it. Another option is to have one of those
tranparent terminals...
Stefano

--
Stefano Ghirlanda, Zoologiska Institutionen, Stockholms Universitet

 the free science campaign: http://ethology.zool.su.se/freescience

1. X-Windows not redirecting console output to console window

We have installed X11R5 under Solaris 2.1, and everything works fine except that
output directly written to the console gets not redirected to the console window
(xterm -C). Under Solaris 1.X, console output redirection worked ok.

Does anybody know how to fix this problem?

--
Christian Rank
Lehrstuhl fuer Wirtschaftsinformatik * Universitaet Passau *

2. Mpowered ADSL OpenBSD2.6 dhclient leases expiring immediately

3. /usr/bin/msgs and permissions on /var/msgs

4. Compiler-List and Error-Constants

5. system msgs (/var/msgs)

6. printing from Slackware 1.2.0

7. How to get console windows in X for non root?

8. DELL and Linux

9. Ethernet card found during installation but I see error msgs on console (server installation)

10. Socks5 console msgs!

11. Q: Redirect console duties to COM port (like boot msgs)?

12. Syslog msgs to console

13. /dev/console msgs overwrite Xdm login screen