Have An Hour?(Maybe Two) Alright Proceed.......

Have An Hour?(Maybe Two) Alright Proceed.......

Post by QNA » Mon, 11 Sep 2000 23:28:45

Linux Mandrake 7.0 Complete although obviously exactly what im looking for
in an OS has been a road of hassle for me, why? Well Here are some
reasons.....
1) Not Compatible with my sound card
2) Cant Detect My Video Card making me have to use a 'Generic VGA
Compatible which needless to say isnt all too attractive
3) My Modem wont work with it, either is locked, or now detected, or so on
and so on
4) Other reasons...

Anyway maybe my computer being fairly new is the reason for all of this
but either way it is discouraging me so i am asking a few questions to
save myself from giving up entirely before i just give up on linux
Mandrake completely until i get a new computer or buy a new graphics card.
Here are some things you'll wanna know first:

1)I Have an Intel(R) 810 Graphics Chip Driver (you may know this issue
concerning these graphics cards)

2) I have Linux Mandrake Complete 7.0

3) My computer is an HP Pavilion with a 15" Monitor 34-50, 50-100

4) My modem is listed as compatible with linux but not my sound card

OK Here is the core of my questions, please everyone who has the time
answere any of them no matter how many replys i get

QUESTIONS:

1) How can i get linux to detect my graphics card so i can get what it is
capable of visually? The problem is when i go into the /etc/X11/XF86Setup
file to change things the next time i wanna startx it locks up and i can
no longer get into my desktop, i get an error. this causes me to re-
install linux again. i am nervous to make any changes to my graphics files
because of this, but if you know.......what can i do?

2) When i get a Modem Locked Message what do i do?

3) Is there anything at all i can buy that would help me with these
problems.........books, software, etc, or anywhere i can go on the web?

Alright thank you please respond i would really like to have my Linux OS
using my graphics card instead of the 'Generic VGA Compatible' so i can it
better visually.

--Thanks.

Post by Peter T. Breue » Mon, 11 Sep 2000 23:54:20

: Linux Mandrake 7.0 Complete although obviously exactly what im looking for
: in an OS has been a road of hassle for me, why? Well Here are some
: reasons.....
: 1) Not Compatible with my sound card

This has nothing to do with mandrake.  You soundcard either does or does
not have a driver for linux.  If it does, install it.  If it doesn't,
yes, ask mandrake to fund a driver writer, or better, ask the card
manufacturer to.  It's in their interest.

: 2) Cant Detect My Video Card making me have to use a 'Generic VGA

"Detect" is not of interest. If Xfree86 has a driver for it, install
it. If Xfree86 doesn't, ask the commercial X driver companies if they
have one. They usually do, at $100 a throw. Make your decision based
on that.

: 3) My Modem wont work with it, either is locked, or now detected, or so on

Again, this is nothing to do with mandrake. If your modem is a modem,
(I gather it is an ISA or PCI internal) then it is supported by linux.
End of story. If it is not a modem but a winmodem, then you depend on
having a linux driver for it. There are drivers for several sorts of
winmodems nowadays, and you should install one of them if it is
appropriate.

: 4) Other reasons...

For example?

Peter

Post by James D. McIninc » Tue, 12 Sep 2000 02:29:49

> Linux Mandrake 7.0 Complete although obviously exactly what im looking for
> in an OS has been a road of hassle for me, why? Well Here are some
> reasons.....
> 1) Not Compatible with my sound card
> 2) Cant Detect My Video Card making me have to use a 'Generic VGA
> Compatible which needless to say isnt all too attractive
> 3) My Modem wont work with it, either is locked, or now detected, or so on
> and so on
> 4) Other reasons...

> Anyway maybe my computer being fairly new is the reason for all of this
> but either way it is discouraging me so i am asking a few questions to
> save myself from giving up entirely before i just give up on linux
> Mandrake completely until i get a new computer or buy a new graphics card.
> Here are some things you'll wanna know first:

> 1)I Have an Intel(R) 810 Graphics Chip Driver (you may know this issue
> concerning these graphics cards)

Yeah, they work fine (other than not being a great graphics
chipset). Check out the i810 driver documentation at
www.xfree86.org.

Quote:> 2) I have Linux Mandrake Complete 7.0

> 3) My computer is an HP Pavilion with a 15" Monitor 34-50, 50-100

> 4) My modem is listed as compatible with linux but not my sound card

Which modem?

Most sound cards work fine. Chance are, however, that you'd
need to install one of the alternative Linux sound drivers.

Quote:

> OK Here is the core of my questions, please everyone who has the time
> answere any of them no matter how many replys i get

> QUESTIONS:

> 1) How can i get linux to detect my graphics card so i can get what it is
> capable of visually? The problem is when i go into the /etc/X11/XF86Setup
> file to change things the next time i wanna startx it locks up and i can
> no longer get into my desktop, i get an error. this causes me to re-
> install linux again. i am nervous to make any changes to my graphics files
> because of this, but if you know.......what can i do?

Switch to XFree86 4.0 and read the instructions.

Quote:> 2) When i get a Modem Locked Message what do i do?

Locate the process that has opened it and kill it. If no process,
remove the lock file for the modem (in /var/lock).

Quote:> 3) Is there anything at all i can buy that would help me with these
> problems.........books, software, etc, or anywhere i can go on the web?

Running Linux by O'Reilly and Associates.

Quote:

Post by Duan » Tue, 12 Sep 2000 03:24:24

4) My modem is listed as compatible with linux but not my sound card

You did not say what sound card you have, but there might be an ALSA
Linux driver available at:
http://www.alsa-project.org/

Quote:

> QUESTIONS:

> 1) How can i get linux to detect my graphics card so i can get what it is
> capable of visually? The problem is when i go into the /etc/X11/XF86Setup
> file to change things the next time i wanna startx it locks up and i can
> no longer get into my desktop, i get an error. this causes me to re-
> install linux again. i am nervous to make any changes to my graphics files
> because of this, but if you know.......what can i do?

It is not real clear what you mean here. Are you saying that
Ctrl-Alt-Backspace does not get you out of X and back to a prompt? And
that even if you do a hard power cycle you cannot get back to a prompt?

I will agree that XFree86 can be rather painful to setup.

--

Have An Hour?(Maybe Two) Alright Proceed.......

Post by Peter Rodrigue » Tue, 12 Sep 2000 10:04:01

I think you really need to spend an hour or two with "Running Linux"
(O'Reilly & Associates), when most of you problems will be at least
clarified, if not solved. BTW, I don,t , personally, think that Mandrake
was a particularly good choice for starting with Linux. I have been
running various distributions (as a user, you understand) for about 6
years, and I found Mandrake a pig to install, let alone run.

--
Peter Rodriguez
136, Kolmar Road, Papatoetoe     LINUX RULES

Have An Hour?(Maybe Two) Alright Proceed.......

Post by Mik » Tue, 12 Sep 2000 21:08:24

Quote:>1) How can i get linux to detect my graphics card so i can get what it is
>capable of visually? The problem is when i go into the /etc/X11/XF86Setup
>file to change things the next time i wanna startx it locks up and i can
>no longer get into my desktop, i get an error. this causes me to re-
>install linux again. i am nervous to make any changes to my graphics files
>because of this, but if you know.......what can i do?

Install X 4.0 - it'll help.

Quote:

>2) When i get a Modem Locked Message what do i do?

You probably have winmodem installed- check out the vendor and model-
and if it's winmodem- it won't work. (except of Zoltrix Phanthom- you
can use the driver).

--

1. Stupid $PATH question that I am ashamed to ask, but having no pride, I proceed

Hi All,
I recently loaded kde on one of my machines and in the install
instructions for RedHat it said to make sure that /usr/local/bin was
in your path. I was logged in as root, (or else su'd, I forget) and
/usr/local/bin was not there. So thinking I'd take care of it for
everybody I added it to the PATH line in /etc/profile. When I logged
on as a regular user and echo'd $PATH I find that /usr/local/bin is
now in my path 3 separate times!!!! I removed it from /etc/profile
resourced it and now it only shows up twice. My .bash_profile only has
PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin. So seeing as how my /etc/profile does not
contain /usr/local/bin and my .bash_profile doesn't contain
/usr/local/bin, somewhere it is being added. In fact, /usr/local/bin
and /usr/X11R6/bin both appear twice. Once before and once after
$HOME/bin in my path so something is adding those two after my
.bash_profile is being read. The question, if  you've made it this far
you've  probably guessed by now is, WHERE!!!  Could someone tell me
the sequence of how the PATH is set starting from boot-up? I know that
the system wide path is set in /etc/profile and the individual user
path is set in .bash_profile but obviously something else is involved
as I still cannot find where /usr/local/bin is being set from, either
the first time or the second time. I don't know how to use grep yet to
search all the files on my hard drive to find instances of
/usr/local/bin so if someone could help me out I would greatly
appeciate it. Thank you!!
mike

2. inconsistent HTTP download speeds on a LAN

3. Having two separate networks connect using two Linux routers and ISDN

4. Equium 5160D/5200D success?

5. How to connect two Linux boxes via Com ports having two wires only

6. fast and resource friendly prime computer

7. One Process on the machine having two IP address and two ethernet interface.

8. XGAMES WITH Imagine 128? ACK!

9. Networking between two PC with both having two Ethernet port

10. Code Red / TCP port 80 probe frequency DOUBLING every two hours?

11. openbsd 3.3 router keeps panic'ing after about two hours

12. 2777 attempts in a two hours on port 8080...