Can Linux read a msdos formated floppy?

Post by Lee Magui » Wed, 07 May 1997 04:00:00

>Can Linux read a msdos formated floppy?  What are the
>commands?

man mtools

if mtools isn't on your system get it from sunsite

--

"If only we'd listened to that boy, instead of walling him up in the
 abandoned coke oven."                          -- Monty Burns, 9F15

Can Linux read a msdos formated floppy?

Post by Jeff Marck » Wed, 07 May 1997 04:00:00

Hi;

I am trying to get some files from the WWW to my
new linux box (which has no modem or network card yet).

Can Linux read a msdos formated floppy?  What are the
commands?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff E. Marcks        Tandem Computers Inc.

Post by Robert Hell » Wed, 07 May 1997 04:00:00

  In a message on Tue, 06 May 1997 13:46:31 -0500, wrote :

JM> Hi;
JM>
JM> I am trying to get some files from the WWW to my
JM> new linux box (which has no modem or network card yet).
JM>
JM> Can Linux read a msdos formated floppy?  What are the
JM> commands?

Yep.  You need to mount the floppy.  The easy (and safe) way to do this
is by adding to your /etc/fstab a line like:

/dev/fd0  /fd0     msdos       user,noauto,umask=000

and creating a mount point (as root):

# mkdir /fd0

Then as a normal user you can put in a floppy and type:

% mount /fd0
% ls /fd0
% cp /fd0/foo.tgz ~/foo.tar.gz
% tar xzvf ~/foo.tar.gz
% umount /fd0

and eject the floppy.

--
                                     \/

http://vis-www.cs.umass.edu/~heller  ||FidoNet:    1:321/153
http://netmar.com/mall/shops/heller  /\

Post by Frank Mil » Wed, 07 May 1997 04:00:00

>  In a message on Tue, 06 May 1997 13:46:31 -0500, wrote :

>JM> Hi;
>JM>
>JM> I am trying to get some files from the WWW to my
>JM> new linux box (which has no modem or network card yet).
>JM>
>JM> Can Linux read a msdos formated floppy?  What are the
>JM> commands?

>Yep.  You need to mount the floppy.  The easy (and safe) way to do this
>is by adding to your /etc/fstab a line like:
> (deleted mount description)

Alternatively you can use mtools, included in most distributions.
Try 'man mtools'.  IMHO it's a bit easier to set up / more secure for
mtools to be made user-executable than to make mount user-executable.

        -frank

Post by del.. » Thu, 08 May 1997 04:00:00

>  In a message on Tue, 06 May 1997 13:46:31 -0500, wrote :

>JM> Hi;
>JM>
>JM> I am trying to get some files from the WWW to my
>JM> new linux box (which has no modem or network card yet).
>JM>
>JM> Can Linux read a msdos formated floppy?  What are the
>JM> commands?

>Yep.  You need to mount the floppy.

Nah.  Just find out about the mtools, e.g., mcopy.  Mcopy can read and
write to msdos floppies w/o mounting the floppy. mdir a: gives you a
directory of the dos floppy in the a drive (whatever that is ;).

Jack

Post by Mark Hea » Thu, 08 May 1997 04:00:00

: >Yep.  You need to mount the floppy.

: Nah.  Just find out about the mtools, e.g., mcopy.  Mcopy can read and
: write to msdos floppies w/o mounting the floppy. mdir a: gives you a
: directory of the dos floppy in the a drive (whatever that is ;).

Its just a little hard to tar, less, lha, whatever with mtools directly
from/to a floppy.

I actually wrote my own mounting program, similar to Suns dosmount but i'm
not sure if its succeptable to the same security hole as mount.

--
-- mark heath   |       signature base 64 to avoid SPAM
TWFpbCBhZGRyZXNzIG5vdCBpbmNsdWRlZCwgWW91IGp1c3QgbmV2ZXIga25vdyB3aGF0IHRoZXNl

Can Linux read a msdos formated floppy?

Post by Darryl Dunk » Fri, 09 May 1997 04:00:00

Kust mount the disk as normal, you can read just about any format of
disks.

>Hi;

>I am trying to get some files from the WWW to my
>new linux box (which has no modem or network card yet).

>Can Linux read a msdos formated floppy?  What are the
>commands?

>Thanks in advance.

>--

>Jeff E. Marcks        Tandem Computers Inc.

Remove the ">" from the beginning of my address to reply.

Post by Istvan Csern » Sat, 10 May 1997 04:00:00

> Hi;

> I am trying to get some files from the WWW to my
> new linux box (which has no modem or network card yet).

> Can Linux read a msdos formated floppy?  What are the
> commands?

Yes, it can. Latest versions of mtools can also use the "extended"
names used by Win95/DOS7.0 as well.

Just try:   mdir a:  or mcopy a:file.ext .

(Useres of mtools should be a member of group disk (in Red Hat)
od group floppy (in Debian).

Istvan Cserny

:
: Can Linux read a msdos formated floppy?  What are the
: commands?

Yes, first of all make sure your kernel supports msdos filesystem (FAT16),
you can have a look by issuing "cat /proc/filesystems". If you find msdos
there, then you can put the floppy in let's say the first drive (called A:
under msdos) and issue something like "mount /dev/fd0 /fd -tmsdos" which
will mount it under the directory /fd. This directory needs to exist before
you use the mount command ("mkdir /fd" as root). Of course you can use any
other directory of your liking such as /mnt/a or whatever.

Or

You can use the mstools for Linux. In this case you don't need to mount the
floppy, just use commands like "mdir a:", "mcopy a:file.ext ~/" etc.

Have a look at the manpages for more info.

--
If you see "NOSPAM" in my e-mail address    \\|// - ?
remove it when you reply by e-mail          (o o)

 Electronics engineer            IRC: Ichimusai / #Linux #AmigaSWE
 * programmer                 .oooO
 Developing using Linux OS             (  )  Oooo.
========================================\ (==(   )================
                                         \_)  ) /
                                             (_/

Post by Christopher Ort » Fri, 23 May 1997 04:00:00

> Can Linux read a msdos formated floppy?  What are the
> commands?

get the mtools package available at any sunsite mirror.

mcopy a:foo.bar .

for starters

Chris

Post by Mark Ha » Fri, 23 May 1997 04:00:00

: > Can Linux read a msdos formated floppy?  What are the
: > commands?

m-tools, as mentioned by another followup.  or just mount
the floppy:
        mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt
(you can choose more descriptive mount points, and can omit the -t msdos
part if you fiddle with /etc/fstab.)

regards, mark hahn.
--

                                        http://neurocog.lrdc.pitt.edu/~hahn/