need doom help please!!!

Post by David N. Moreno (El Gua » Fri, 27 Dec 1996 04:00:00

[ Article crossposted from alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions ]
[ Author was David N. Moreno (El Guapo) ]
[ Posted on 26 Dec 1996 01:13:56 GMT ]

Hello,
I've got a frustrating problem. I am trying to get doom up and runnning under 2.0.0
I can get the first graphinc to come up, and I hit return-return-return, just like
it sayd in the README, but it still crashes. I had it running fine under 1.2.1
with the same hardware, (actually minus 8 meg of RAM, but you'd think that would help)
so I am baffled. Below is the output  after  it crashes. Any help would be very
appreciated.
Thanks
Dave
email or posts will work

 2870  ?  S     0:00 gpm -t ms
                          DOOM System Startup v1.8
V_Init: allocate screens.
M_LoadDefaults: Load system defaults.
Z_Init: Init zone memory allocation daemon.
W_Init: Init WADfiles.
        adding /usr/games/doom/doom1.wad
        shareware version.
M_Init: Init miscellaneous info.
R_Init: Init DOOM refresh daemon - [
^^^^^^^^^^H...................
P_Init: Init Playloop state.
I_Init: Setting up machine state.
D_CheckNetGame: Checking network game status.
startskill 2  deathmatch: 0  startmap: 1  startepisode: 1
player 1 of 1 (1 nodes)
S_Init: Setting up sound.
HU_Init: Setting up heads up display.
ST_Init: Init status bar.
Using Cirrus Logic GD542x/3x driver (5426, 1024K).
framebuf = 40000000
svgalib: Signal 13: Broken pipe received.
Running gpm...

thanks again
dave

If at first you don't succeed,
Destroy all evidence and blame someone else

need doom help please!!!

Post by Sean Klei » Sat, 28 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> I've got a frustrating problem. I am trying to get doom up and runnning under 2.0.0
> I can get the first graphinc to come up, and I hit return-return-return, just like
> it sayd in the README, but it still crashes. I had it running fine under 1.2.1
> with the same hardware, (actually minus 8 meg of RAM, but you'd think that would help)
> so I am baffled. Below is the output  after  it crashes. Any help would be very
> appreciated.

Do you have a soundboard installed in your machine or the Linux kernel configured for sound?  I
had a similar problem of Doom crashing under 2.0.0 and working under 1.8.x or 1.13.x.  To fix it
I renamed the sndserver file to sndserver.doom.  Doom then ran fine.  I then recompiled 2.0.0
for sound support (Soundblaster 16), renamed sndserver.doom back to sndserver and Doom ran fine
but with sound (which is a good thing).  I hope this helps.

1. need doom help please!!!

[...]

2. Red Hat 6.0 / 6.1 Installation on HP Pavilion PC

3. doom doom doom...site

4. Daemon sources

5. AnswerBook -> HTML ?

6. DOOM DOOM DOOM DUMB DUMB DUMB!

7. Calculating yesterday's date using GNU 'date' (was Re: Require a script)

8. still need printer help please please please

9. Help still needed please, please, please...

10. HELP, Need help on Solaris 8, Please, Please

11. DOOM HELP at ALT.GAMES.DOOM

12. Doom setup probs !!! PLEASE HELP!