setserial help please RH 6.1

Post by errol r » Fri, 12 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I really need help in setting up my serial ports.  I have a byterunner
serial card that has 16750 uarts that I plan to use on a Motorola Bit
Surfer Pro ISDN Modem.

I have read the man pages on setserial and the serial how-to and am
getting more confused.

I issued the command, as root, "setserial /dev/ttyS1 uart 16750
autoconfig" and got no error messages.  However when I query the port,
it still shows a 16550A as the uart.

I also need to change the baud_base to 230400 divisor 1 in order to
communicate with the modem at 230400.

Can someone Please,Please help me with this and give me the correct
syntax, and possibly how to set it up so it configures automatically
at boot.

Thanks,
Errol

setserial help please RH 6.1

Post by Doug DeJul » Fri, 12 Nov 1999 04:00:00

>I issued the command, as root, "setserial /dev/ttyS1 uart 16750
>autoconfig" and got no error messages.  However when I query the port,
>it still shows a 16550A as the uart.

I just checked the source code for the serial driver in the kernel I'm
using.  While the 16550A UART is called "16550A", the 16750 seems to
be referred to as "TI16750".  You might try "uart TI16750" instead.

If that doesn't work, check the source code for setserial to make sure
it does something sensible with the "uart" argument.  If it limits the
values that are valid for that field, that would also cause problems
for you.
--

HKS, Incorporated | http://www.hks.net/

setserial help please RH 6.1

Post by mirce » Fri, 12 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> I really need help in setting up my serial ports.  I have a byterunner
> serial card that has 16750 uarts that I plan to use on a Motorola Bit
> Surfer Pro ISDN Modem.(..)

Which byterunner serial card you have (especially, is it ISA or PCI)?
I'm thinking of getting one myself, and was wondering how well they work
in Linux. I'm worried about the "dos/windows drivers" that come with the
PCI models.

MST

setserial help please RH 6.1

Post by root » Fri, 12 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Well, with all the help, I got the system configured (no thanks to
RH6.1).  Thanks to all.  I still have to issue one setserial command
manually each time I boot in order to get a hook up of 230,400 to the
Motorola BitSurfer Pro TA.  This is due to the failure of Autosave to
save anything except what is displayed when you issue the setserial  -g
-G /dev/ttySx command.
Thanks again.
Errol

To  mircea
I bought the ISA TC-200 PRO from byterunner.  It is a fully configurable
card.  All the PCI cards are PNP and I didn't want the problems.

problems I had, and how I finally configured the card and my system to be
able to get 230400 between the system and TA.

> I really need help in setting up my serial ports.  I have a byterunner
> serial card that has 16750 uarts that I plan to use on a Motorola Bit
> Surfer Pro ISDN Modem.

> I have read the man pages on setserial and the serial how-to and am
> getting more confused.

> I issued the command, as root, "setserial /dev/ttyS1 uart 16750
> autoconfig" and got no error messages.  However when I query the port,
> it still shows a 16550A as the uart.

> I also need to change the baud_base to 230400 divisor 1 in order to
> communicate with the modem at 230400.

> Can someone Please,Please help me with this and give me the correct
> syntax, and possibly how to set it up so it configures automatically
> at boot.

> Thanks,
> Errol

setserial help please RH 6.1

Post by Bill Unr » Sat, 13 Nov 1999 04:00:00

]Well, with all the help, I got the system configured (no thanks to
]RH6.1).  Thanks to all.  I still have to issue one setserial command
]manually each time I boot in order to get a hook up of 230,400 to the
]Motorola BitSurfer Pro TA.  This is due to the failure of Autosave to

Why do you not put the setserial command at the end of
/etc/rc.d/rc.local?

setserial help please RH 6.1

Post by errol r » Sat, 13 Nov 1999 04:00:00

After I finally got every thing configured right, that is what I did
and it works great. I had a sound card that was inteferring with the
isa serial card and when I took that out and reconfigured everything
it got very stable.
Thanks,
Errol

>]Well, with all the help, I got the system configured (no thanks to
>]RH6.1).  Thanks to all.  I still have to issue one setserial command
>]manually each time I boot in order to get a hook up of 230,400 to the
>]Motorola BitSurfer Pro TA.  This is due to the failure of Autosave to

>Why do you not put the setserial command at the end of
>/etc/rc.d/rc.local?

setserial help please RH 6.1

Post by Lew Pitch » Sat, 13 Nov 1999 04:00:00

>]Well, with all the help, I got the system configured (no thanks to
>]RH6.1).  Thanks to all.  I still have to issue one setserial command
>]manually each time I boot in order to get a hook up of 230,400 to the
>]Motorola BitSurfer Pro TA.  This is due to the failure of Autosave to

>Why do you not put the setserial command at the end of
>/etc/rc.d/rc.local?

or (if you use a Slackware distro) put the setserial command
in /etc/rc.d/rc.serial with all the other setserial commands

Lew Pitcher
Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training

1. RH 6.1 and setserial for 3com modem in rc.local

Hi everyone
I have a problem with the start up script "rc.local"  I have a setserial
command inside the script that suppose to initialize the modem on system
start up.  Somehow that command doesn't run .  So whenever I need to use
the modem, I have to run the setserial -b /dev/.... command to initialize
the modem.  Is there anyway I can fix the problem.
I am running RH 6.1.
Thanks
Tinh Tran

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

2. Waiting for messages

3. [: too many arguments error in RH 6.1, please help

4. apmd doesn't work

5. 3C905C-TX Support in RH 6.1 -- PLEASE HELP!!!

6. determine JVM heap size in Solaris

7. RH 6.1 Xwindows Squashed 320 x 400 res. HELP PLEASE

8. Printer and lpc

9. MegaRaid 428 and RH 6.1 HELP PLEASE

10. Help, please with RH 6.1 on a DEC 433a

11. RH 6.1 and Mandrake 6.1 Freeze on Install

12. SUSE 6.1, setserial problem

13. can't burn CDs after uprgrading from RH 6.1 to RH 7.2