Question about gnome difference between Red Hat 7.0 and 7.3

Question about gnome difference between Red Hat 7.0 and 7.3

Post by Scott M. Navarr » Thu, 14 Nov 2002 16:13:15

  Hi, I recently upgraded from Red Hat 7.0 to 7.3, and I notice a
differenece with Gnome (for one thing, there is now a "Start Here" icon).
  But when I run Xconfigurator from the command line, and it tests the
X-Window display, I see the old Gnome desktop screen from 7.0.  But then
when I go back into Gnome via the "startx" command, I see the new Gnome
screen again and it doesn't seem to employ the display changes I made
through Xconfigurator.

  So now I have 2 questions:
1) Is there a way to start Gnome into the old desktop configuration? (as is
seen when Xconfigurator is run)
2) What is used to set the color depth, resolution, etc. properties of the
new Gnome, if not Xconfigurator?

  Thank you very much in advance!

Question about gnome difference between Red Hat 7.0 and 7.3

Post by Lee J. Moor » Thu, 14 Nov 2002 19:28:54

One may as well begin with Scott M. Navarre's letter to comp.os.linux.misc:

Quote:

>   Hi, I recently upgraded from Red Hat 7.0 to 7.3, and I
>   notice a differenece with Gnome (for one thing, there is now
>   a "Start Here" icon).

RH7.0 came with Gnome 1.2 (IIRC), RH7.3 comes with Gnome 1.4.

Quote:> But when I run Xconfigurator from the
>   command line, and it tests the X-Window display, I see the
>   old Gnome desktop screen from 7.0.

That's Red Hat idleness.  They updated the desktop but not the
configuration tools.

Quote:> But then when I go back into Gnome via the "startx" command, I
> see the new Gnome screen again and it doesn't seem to employ
> the display changes I made through Xconfigurator.

That's odd.  What changes?  If you look at the timestamp (and
filesize?) of /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 before and after you run
Xconfigurator, do you notice whether it changes at all?

Quote:

>   So now I have 2 questions: 1) Is there a way to start Gnome
>   into the old desktop configuration? (as is seen when
>   Xconfigurator is run)

I don't think so because it's a completely different version of
Gnome.  Gnome 1.2 used GMC for the desktop - not Nautilus - and
I don't think the mc binary even allows the gmc desktop anymore.
So, on slower computers, RH7.3 might make them even slower
simply because Nautilus back then (when 7.3 came out) was a hog.

Quote:> 2) What is used to set the color depth, resolution, etc.
> properties of the new Gnome, if not Xconfigurator?

Well, if you don't want to edit your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, you
*should* use Xconfigurator.  See above.  It would be interesting
to know whether it's actually changing the config file.  I
presume you /are/ restarting the X server after making changes?
Pardon the question if not applicable but it has to be asked. ;)

[..]
--
Lee John Moore                 Powered by Gentoo
http://www.leej.dsl.pipex.com  [Portage  2.0.43]

1. Signal 11 when trying to upgrade from Red Hat 7.0 to 7.3

I'd appreciate any insights on this problem:

I have a happily working Red Hat version 7.0 linux box (486 DX-4 w/ 32
MB) which I want to upgrade to version 7.3.

Every time I run the boot disk I get my paw slapped with a Signal 11.

This is particularily galling as: 1) its already a working linux box;
2) the boot process goes so far as to identify all the hardware
(properly); and, 3) its only text mode -- no bell's 'n whistles!

As the PC is working now with linux, I'm having a hard time believing
that there's some sort of hardware problem (the Signal 11). Does
version 7.3 require something beyond the hardware platform I'm trying
to use?  (Please don't tell me I've got to sacrifice a virgin
programmer to the volcano god -- they're so hard to find
nowadays...<g>)

Any help or pointers to other information I can research would be
appreciated.

Thanks.

John--

2. problem with satan 1.1.1

3. How to upgrade my current Red Hat Linux 7.3 GNOME

4. NFS client software for Quadra 650 -> Solaris 2.3

5. Questions about PPPoE setup under KDE of Red Hat 7.3

6. select, Xevents and sockets

7. Red Hat Linux 7.3 kernel update question

8. @m01@

9. Question on the Red Hat 7.3 Beta ISO's

10. Newbie | Red Hat 7.3 question

11. File System Quotas under Red Hat 7.3: two questions.

12. Red Hat 7.3 Printer question

13. Red Hat 7.1 - Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already installed.