I'm on, now how do I get off?

Post by Scot » Thu, 02 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I'm using minicom and pppd to access my provider, but after I'm done I can't
disconnect.  I've tried* up and quitting and resetting on minicom.
Only way I can disconnect is by rebooting!!!!

There must be a better way.

Scott

I'm on, now how do I get off?

Post by Anita Lew » Fri, 03 Sep 1999 04:00:00

>I'm using minicom and pppd to access my provider, but after I'm done I can't
>disconnect.  I've tried* up and quitting and resetting on minicom.
>Only way I can disconnect is by rebooting!!!!

>There must be a better way.

>Scott

I type killall pppd to disconnect

Anita

I'm on, now how do I get off?

Post by Chris Mahmoo » Fri, 03 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> Only way I can disconnect is by rebooting!!!!

Jesus....'killall pppd' or write proper ppp-up and ppp-down scripts.
-ckm

I'm on, now how do I get off?

Post by Bill Unr » Sat, 04 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm using minicom and pppd to access my provider, but after I'm done I can't
>disconnect.  I've tried* up and quitting and resetting on minicom.
>Only way I can disconnect is by rebooting!!!!
>There must be a better way.

killall pppd

I'm on, now how do I get off?

Post by Eric G. Mill » Sat, 04 Sep 1999 04:00:00

>I'm using minicom and pppd to access my provider, but after I'm done I can't
>disconnect.  I've tried* up and quitting and resetting on minicom.
>Only way I can disconnect is by rebooting!!!!

>There must be a better way.

>Scott

su -c 'killall pppd'

Yes, there are several better ways. Do you have pppconfig with your
distribution? If you do, I'd suggest using it. Alternatively, there's
wvdial.
--
                ___
 ___ __ _ _ __ |_  )

I'm on, now how do I get off?

Post by John Hasle » Sun, 05 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:Eric G. Miller writes:
> su -c 'killall pppd'  Yes, there are several better ways.

Actually, no.  Sending it a SIGTERM is the correct way to terminate pppd.
Programs such as Debian's 'poff' do just that.

Quote:> Do you have pppconfig with your distribution?  If you do, I'd suggest
> using it.

I second that, but then I'm the author.  However, pppconfig does not stop
or start pppd.  It just sets up the files in /etc/ppp/peers and
/etc/chatscripts so that any user or program can bring up a connection with
'pppd call connection_name' (this is the method recommended by the authors
of pppd).  Debian's 'pon', used to start ppp, is just

        #!/bin/sh
        /usr/sbin/pppd call ${1:-provider}

Unfortunately, pppconfig is only available in Debian.  It would work fine
with other distributions, but none have seen fit to distribute it.
--
John Hasler

Dancing Horse Hill
Elmwood, WI

1. starting off a dos-smtp-''project''

greetings!

I have a certain amount of C/c++/asm etc etc - no big deal...
not anywhere near expert but am willing to tackle this idea.

a c program running in dos that will smtp a text file
from one machine on a network to another smtp server.

the file i/o etc isnt the problem , its where to start
on the smtp networking part that i'd like some words of
guidance on.
of course - as usual , someone has already written this
program and if i can get the person who has done this
and scrounge a copy of him/her ??.....

regards all
A Learner
(aka paul kearney)

2. Which router & CSU/DSU to get for T1

3. getting a tar file off a tape when you've tar cf'ed first

4. Mailtool header field size

5. I've gotten on, but how do I get off????

6. redhat 8 won't detect my network card

7. Can't get DOS binaries back off Unix file sys?

8. Win95 ate my Linux partition?

9. lilo won't boot off /dev/sda but will off hda

10. ''Charlie Root'' System Monitor - TURN OFF

11. Slow FTP 'gets', Fast 'puts'???

12. Getting unresolved symbols for 'new' and 'delete' operators

13. Problem in getting screen size when 'rlogin' and 'telnet'