CD burning issues under redhat with all burning applications

CD burning issues under redhat with all burning applications

Post by Anto » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 06:04:45

As a complete newbie could anybody out there give a little help.

I'm trying to burn a CD and regardless of the application I use I get
some error or another, the I error I get depends on the APP. I have
read so much re this issue but just can't seem to resolve it.

I have a twin processor DELL Precision 220 with a CD player and a
second CD recorder drive. Both CD's work and are able to read files
held on CD's, however if I place a music CD in the drives I only get
sound out from the none recorder, this I think this is the final clue
to my problem.

If I execute the following

eject /dev/hdc

The top CD draw does as expected, I can't find any letter to open the
CD recorder draw.

The following command gives me:
cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord 1.10 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 J?rg
Schilling
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.24
Using libscg version 'schily-0.5'
scsibus0:
        0,0,0     0) 'LITE-ON ' 'LTR-24102M      ' '4DS2' Removable
CD-ROM
        0,1,0     1) *
        0,2,0     2) *
        0,3,0     3) *
        0,4,0     4) *
        0,5,0     5) *
        0,6,0     6) *
        0,7,0     7) *

When I look in my  lilo.conf.anaconda I get

cat lilo.conf.anaconda
prompt
timeout=50
default=linux
boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
message=/boot/message
linear

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-14smp
        label=linux
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.18-14smp.img
        read-only
        append="hdd=ide-scsi root=LABEL=/"

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-14
        label=linux-up
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.18-14.img
        read-only
        append="hdd=ide-scsi root=LABEL=/"

other=/dev/hda1
        optional
        label=DOS

Most of the stuff I have seen suggests I should have the following:

append="hdc=ide-scsi"

added to the end of my lilo.conf.anaconda file but as you can see
similar lines already exists do I still need to add it and if so what
letter do I use in stead of C as that is already used? (the obvious
would be D!) If I don't need that line are there anyother things I
should be doing?

Please feel free to contact me direct and if I get a resolution I post
it back up on the news group.

Thanks

Antony

CD burning issues under redhat with all burning applications

Post by Dances With Crow » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 07:11:29

On 28 Jun 2003 14:04:45 -0700, Antony staggered into the Black Sun and
said:

Quote:> As a complete newbie could anybody out there give a little help.

http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search , group
comp.os.linux.hardware , keyword "CD-R".  More info than you ever wanted
to know.

Quote:> I'm trying to burn a CD and regardless of the application I use I get
> some error or another, the I error I get depends on the APP.

And what were these error messages?  Post the exact commands you used,
and the exact error messages you received.  Go read
http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html , so you know how to ask
good questions in technical newsgroups.

Quote:> however if I place a music CD in the drives I only get sound out from
> the none recorder, this I think this is the final clue to my problem.

Nope.  Look inside; there's a 4-pin audio cable running from CD-ROM 0 to
the sound card.  The sound card probably only has 1 4-pin cable, which
means you can have either CD-ROM 0 or CD-ROM 1 connected at once and get
sound from normal CD players.

Quote:> eject /dev/hdc
> The top CD draw does as expected, I can't find any letter to open the
> CD recorder draw.

"drawer", surely?  If you're using ide-scsi emulation, which you should
for best CD-burning results, you'd do "eject /dev/scd0" to eject the
first SCSI CD-ROM, "eject /dev/scd1" to eject the second SCSI CD-ROM.

Quote:> cdrecord -scanbus
>  0,0,0     0) 'LITE-ON ' 'LTR-24102M      ' '4DS2' Removable CD-ROM
>  0,1,0     1) *

And is this correct?  Do you have a CD-R* of this type connected?  What
do you think it should tell you?

Quote:>         append="hdd=ide-scsi root=LABEL=/"
> Most of the stuff I have seen suggests I should have the following:
> append="hdc=ide-scsi"

If your CD-RW is attached to the secondary IDE interface as master,
"hdc=ide-scsi"  is correct.  If your CD-RW is attached to the secondary
IDE interface as slave, "hdd=ide-scsi" is correct.  If you have CD-RWs
on both interfaces, "hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi" is correct.  If you
don't know where your CD-RW is plugged in, "dmesg | grep CD" should give
you something like:

hdc : SONY CD-RW CRX700E, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive

...that's the CD-RW on my laptop, which is on /dev/hdc .  HTH, search
groups.google first if you have questions!

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /

1. Please help -- error in burning or reading burned CD

Hi there:

  I have a new 36x12x48 CD-RW and I am still using FreeBSD 4.6. I haven't
  upgraded to 5.x yet because I have collected about 80 Gigabytes of stuff
  that I want to burn to CDs first. I have a P4 machine, 2 GHz, and 1G of
  memory. And here is an apparent problem.

  (1) When the burning is about 14%, there seems to be brief halt in the
  burning process (because burncd doesn't increase in the number of
  kilobytes burned) and then there is a noise of rapid spinning of the
  CD-RW, and then the rest of the burning seems okay.

  (2) After I burned a CD, there is an error in reading the CD from the
  CD-RW, and it says "error READ_BIG: ... MEDIUM ... 0x11 ..." or something
  similar. I am unable to use "diff" command to compare the original
  directory to those I burned onto the CD. But when I randomly check files
  on the CD from my W2K-DVD drive, I am unable to find any apparent error
  (yet), and I can read all the files I randomly selected to check. This
  happens to every disk I burned.

  Could someone please tell me what is going on, or have you experienced
  similar problem?

  Thank you very much.

vector

2. kproc

3. Burn RedHat 5.1 to CD - Will install read Joliet CD?

4. smbios (DMI) support in Linux?

5. Burning Issues - 2 IDE CD's

6. How long do I wait to see my virtual host active?

7. CD-RW drive and burning issues

8. What is a symbol referencing error??

9. calculate MD5SUM on a burned disk to check distro burn?

10. Burning successful with growisofs but cannot read burnt DVDs

11. Can burn data but cannot burn audio???

12. Burn baby burn!...?

13. burning RedHat 4 to CD