lilo can't write mbr, HATE using loadlin

lilo can't write mbr, HATE using loadlin

Post by Ryan McGuig » Thu, 26 Feb 1998 04:00:00

When I installed RH5 on my friend's machine, PII233, Asus Mother board
(with UDMA controller), 6.4 gig Maxtor UDMA drive, and a 3.4 non-UDMA
drive, everything went perfectly smoothly, until it tried to install lilo.
I tried a few times, then decided to skip it and try to fix it after
finishing setting it up.  After the installation, I used loadlin to boot,
after which I configured lilo, and ran /sbin/lilo, it said something...
something about the cylinders.... 3120(can't remember the number) is
greater than 1024 limit..???  I should have written it down(stupid me).
Anyway, if anyone has any idea what the problem could be, please CC to me.
I hope it doesn't have anything to do with the UDMA controller.

BTW, I tried writing the mbr to both drives, same error both times.

Thanks,
Ryan McGuigan

lilo can't write mbr, HATE using loadlin

Post by Jos Hulzin » Fri, 27 Feb 1998 04:00:00

The problem is simple: Your old stupid IBM XT-compatible Bios (found in all
modern motherboards for compatibility-reasons) can't handle drives of more
than 1024 cylinders. All modern drives have more. There are few solutions:

1) Repartition your disk and make sure there is a small linux partition
below the 1024 sectors, containing your kerneldirectory (usually /boot),
and put the rest of your linux in your upper space. Note: your other
Operating systems also have below the 1024 border.

2) Install a driver for large harddisks in your bootsector (Dynamic Drive
Overlay). They are available at your HD-manufacturers homepage. Not an ideal
solution for the ddo remains in memory, even when linux is running

3) I'm trying to find out how I can reprogram LILO to have a rock-solid
workaround. I'm still looking for the complete LILO-source, if someone could
help me... You can wait for that one and then boot linux without problems

jos
--

lilo can't write mbr, HATE using loadlin

Post by MSvendro » Wed, 18 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>everything went perfectly smoothly, until it tried to install lilo.
>I tried a few times, then decided to skip it and try to fix it after
>finishing setting it up.

Is MBR protected by BIOS ?

you may need to go into CMOS setup and remove boot sector
protection.

WARNING: Do not do this if you are using a Disk Manager.

An alternate method is to install LILO to floppy.

Post by Ian Westco » Thu, 19 Mar 1998 04:00:00

: >everything went perfectly smoothly, until it tried to install lilo.
: >I tried a few times, then decided to skip it and try to fix it after
: >finishing setting it up.

One thing to consider, is whether the boot files are on a partition > 512
cylinders. I have a dos partition from cylinders 1 - 580 (or something),
and linux fills up the rest of my disk... however, with that, lilo will
not install. My solution was to put all the files on /boot in a directory
on my Dos partition, and then make /boot on the Linux side a symbolic link
to that partition. Then, just edit the /etc/lilo.conf to reflect this, and
install (make sure the kernel is in that boot directory as well).

This might be the problem. Try it and see.

         "Demon's * and dragon fire, falling on my wings.
         Racing to the battle in the sky and ancient gods are
               calling me I hear them when they sing,
             of all the heroes who wait for me to die."

Post by Gianluca Montecch » Sat, 21 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> >everything went perfectly smoothly, until it tried to install lilo.
> >I tried a few times, then decided to skip it and try to fix it after
> >finishing setting it up.

> Is MBR protected by BIOS ?

Only if you activate the antivirus control from the BIOS

bye

Gianluca

--
Member of the Pluto Linux Users Group

  Web page: http://www.silab.dsi.unimi.it/~gm518464

1. Lilo won't write to mbr!

After writing lilo to the mbr, my system just happily boots up to
windows 98 w/o a care in the world as if nothing has changed.  No
Lilo. No prompts. Just windows. Please help.

Point A:
1) I used partition magic pro 7 to partition off a little portion of
my windows 98 drive for linux and half meg for swap.

2) Installed Mandrake 8.2 w/o a hitch in "regular" mode.  Couldn't get
linux booting at all.  Just windows.

3) Re-installed Mandrake 8.2 w/o hitch in "expert" mode.  Found myself
with a boot floppy now.  Opted to install lilo in /hdb5 (my linux
partition).

4) Installed boot magic.  Strangely, it sees my linux partition now
w/o having to go into detailed mode.  Is this because I installed lilo
on my linux partition?

5) Rebooted and selected linux from boot magic menu.  Got a screen
scrolling with 1's and 0's non-stop.

6) Disabled boot magic.  Booted mandrake from boot disk.

   Changed boot=/dev/hda in /etc/lilo.conf

   Confirmed that lba32 was there.

   ran /sbin/lilo -v and confirmed no errors.

7) Rebooted.. and found myself directly back to windows.

8) Repeated above disabling virus checking in bios with same results.

Point B:  Where I am now.  Can anyone help me get my dual boot
windows/linux box going?  Booting from floppy can be a pain but I'm
happy to report that I haven't clobbered anything yet.

Once this install is ironed out, I'll take the plunge and try to
install on my inspiron 8100 with radeon 7500 and uxga monitor.

Dante

2. Great song.

3. HELP: wrote Lilo to Win NT MBR, can't find my NT now ...

4. BattleCom on a masqued windows box

5. uninstalling LILO using fdisk /mbr doesn't work with DrDos 6.0

6. Update PC-9800 support (1/3) keyboard driver

7. BM hates Linux, LILO hates OS/2

8. Setting up remote dial-in.

9. write LILO to mbr?

10. LILO installation problem, writing to MBR

11. Cannot get LILO to write to MBR

12. Problem: LILO and WinNT4 on 'hdc6' (and WinNT4 MBR).