does Linux support ZIP drives on the parallel port?

does Linux support ZIP drives on the parallel port?

Post by Byron A Je » Sun, 01 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>quick question:  Does (will) Linux support the parallel port version of
>IOMega's ZIP drives?

A definitive -->  Not Exactly....

Let me explain.

There is no native driver for the parallel port. In fact for Linux there are
few parallel devices at all that have native drivers. Some paranoia thang
with the manufacturers. Do your part, call Iomega (they're in the Valley,
you're in the valley. Should be a local call for you. Right?) and ask them
for the interface specifications for the drive so that someone can write
a native driver. If enough folks call maybe they can be convinced to
release the specs.

But there is a small ray of hope in the meantime: use the DOS driver under
DOSEMU. I was putzing around on the parallel ZIP drive I have access to
(I own a SCSI one which is supported as a standard SCSI drive and works
like a champ!) and tested my theory which proposed that DOSEMU was together
enough to run it. And it worked. But I was lucky. Another parallel watcher
(Hey Guenther!) pointed out to me that is doesn't work for the 0.60.X versions
(i.e. the latest) of DOSEMU. Broken port code. So he's working on it.

In the meantime take a read of my ZIP mini HOWTO:

sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/mini/Iomega.ZIP

And get a pre53.27.tgz version of DOSEMU from:

tsx-11.mit.edu:/pub/linux/ALPHA/dosemu/Development/Old/...

and compile it up. Since DOSEMU can access both Linux and the ZIP you can
transfer files between the two via DOSEMU.

Other than that there is no way for Linux to use the parallel ZIP.

Quote:

>Thanks.  (please email me)

Ah young grasshopper! If one read the information in the newsgroups, one
would be enlightened. It's not too much trouble to follow one thread is
it?

I simul-Emailed/posted so that others can reflect on the information.

BAJ
--
Another random extraction from the mental bit stream of...
Byron A. Jeff - PhD student operating in parallel - And Using Linux!

Post by Take a wild gue » Sun, 01 Oct 1995 04:00:00

quick question:  Does (will) Linux support the parallel port version of
IOMega's ZIP drives?

Thanks.  (please email me)
--

                ---Mark--->          http://www.veryComputer.com/~markchen/
        NetProfits Internet Services    http://np.*works.net/

1. support for parallel-port ZIP drive under redhat 4.2 ?

Check out http://www.torque.net/linux-pp.html.  You'll find drivers for
zip drives and other parallel port devices for linux systems.  I don't
know if there are any peculiarities with RedHat 4.2 that would cause
problems. I have heard that you can't use your printer if you're using
the zip drive on the same printer port in linux systems, but that may
have changed by now.  Alternatively, you can attach a second parallel
port to you system.

good luck

gerry

p.s. copy posted to discussion group

2. Q : Cron format

3. Q: support for parallel-port version of Iomega Zip drive?

4. Help! - Building RedHat 8.0 kernel with NTFS enabled

5. support for parallel-port ZIP drive under redhat 4.2 ?

6. TeX viewing without X

7. Support for Parallel Port Zip Drive?

8. cachefs entries in vfstab / Solaris 2.3

9. Which kernel version for VFAT filesys and printer & zip drive support on same parallel port?

10. Parallel Port Zip Drive Supported?

11. Kernel with both printer and parallel port ZIP drive support??

12. Install Linux from a parallel port zip drive?

13. Iomega Zip drive: parallel port linux device driver?