ess1869 sound issue

Post by Gavin Maxwel » Thu, 25 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I'm having trouble with my ess1869 ISA sound card in Red Hat 5.2.  When the
box boots, messages appear to the screen saying that the device or resource
is busy.  Can anyone help?  Is the card partly faulty?

thanks

gavin

ess1869 sound issue

Post by Hans Wolte » Fri, 26 Mar 1999 04:00:00

 found a keyboard and composed the following intresting message:

Quote:>I'm having trouble with my ess1869 ISA sound card in Red Hat 5.2.  When the
>box boots, messages appear to the screen saying that the device or resource
>is busy.  Can anyone help?  Is the card partly faulty?

>thanks

>gavin

Hi Gavin,

Check out the CMI-howto (see signature). It should work for your card.

Regards Hans

--
        Java Search Engine Front End
    http://home.gelrevision.nl/~h.wolter/

ess1869 sound issue

Post by **Nick Brow » Fri, 26 Mar 1999 04:00:00

"Device or resource busy" typically means that you are loading a driver
module which is trying to access resources (IRQ, DMA, I/O addresses)
which are in use by another driver.  Check with /proc (eg cat /proc/dma,
cat /proc/interrupts, cat /proc/ioports) to see if the resources that
you think should be owned by your ESS driver, are in fact owned by
another driver.

Also, be sure that the errors are being produced by the module which you
think is doing it, eg with dmesg.

> I'm having trouble with my ess1869 ISA sound card in Red Hat 5.2.  When the
> box boots, messages appear to the screen saying that the device or resource
> is busy.  Can anyone help?  Is the card partly faulty?

Nick Brown, Strasbourg, France (Nick(dot)Brown(at)coe(dot)fr)

Protect yourself against Word 95/97 viruses, free - check out
 http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/Vineyard/1446/atlas-t.html

ess1869 sound issue

Post by Miche » Thu, 08 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> I'm having trouble with my ess1869 ISA sound card in Red Hat 5.2.  When the
> box boots, messages appear to the screen saying that the device or resource
> is busy.  Can anyone help?  Is the card partly faulty?

> thanks

> gavin

I have never had an install with RedHat that fixed up the sound correctly with
this card. It turns out that the config file is wrong.

With the attachment put into conf.modules
it should work.

You would achieve better results buying the 4-Front driver which works well ($20)
Patching as I say should make the sound work but you will notice that when you
move to kernel 2.2.x that the sound is broken and useless. Maybe a trojan in the
new sound support so we have to use 4-Front stuff.

I found out that with new sound support in the kernel most sound app no longer
work.

--
Tired of Windows' rebootive multitasking?
then try Linux's preemptive multitasking

[ snd.txt < 1K ]
alias sound sb
options sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=-1 mpu_io=0x330
options opl3 io=0x388

1. Install Problems: PCMCIA Amb8002, Sound Card ESS1869 on my

I installed Red Hat Linux 5.2 (Apollo) from a freeware CD. The
installation (including partition for win98) went fine, except that I
cant get it to recognise my Ambicom Amb8002 PCMCIA card. cardmgr exites
with an error:
'no /proc/devices found' . I am a novice to Linux installation and can't

figure out whats wrong.

Also, the sound card ESS1869 is recognised but says resource busy. I saw

quite a few questions on the net with this problem but couldnt find any
threads explaining how to resolve it.

2. matrox meteor

3. Install Problems: PCMCIA Amb8002, Sound Card ESS1869 on my laptop

4. Print Tagging

5. driver for ESS1869 sound chip?

6. Looking For A Shell To Run 2 Eggdrop IRC Bots..

7. sound ESS1869 problem with slackware 7.1 2.2.18

8. 3Com Etherlink III BusMaster Ethernet Adapter

9. MP3 sound great, CD sounds Very bad (possible DMA or PIO issues?)

10. Sound: AD1981A sound card issue

11. Compaq 1750 ESS1869

12. ESS1869 Soundcard