KDE File Manager

Post by Rajendra Gondhaleaka » Wed, 14 Aug 2002 12:42:35

I am a newcomer on Linux scene and am learning my way around this worderful
piece of software.  I have come far over the past few days.  However I have
run across an annoyance that I need to fix and learn something about file
permissions along the way.  When I freshly installed KDE I was able to
start the file manager in super user mode and get full access to the files.
In the past few days when I click on the menu item the kdesu window comes
up prompting for the root password.  Once enetered the file manager
application does not come up at all.  If I hit ignore konqueror starts up
in regular user mode just fine.  If I kdesu applications such as user
manager, they work fine.  It's only kdesu konqueror that fails.  I looked
in /usr/kde/3/bin/ and konqueror's file permissions are the same as the
other applications that work.  I had read somewhere about a magic cookie
based secrity feature used by konq, but I have not found a solution yet.
Any help is appreciated.

KDE File Manager

Post by Paul Cook » Thu, 15 Aug 2002 03:28:06

> I am a newcomer on Linux scene and am learning my way around this
> worderful piece of software.  I have come far over the past few days.
> However I have run across an annoyance that I need to fix and learn
> something about file permissions along the way.  When I freshly
> installed KDE I was able to start the file manager in super user mode
> and get full access to the files. In the past few days when I click on
> the menu item the kdesu window comes up prompting for the root password.
>  Once enetered the file manager application does not come up at all.  If
> I hit ignore konqueror starts up in regular user mode just fine.  If I
> kdesu applications such as user manager, they work fine.  It's only
> kdesu konqueror that fails.  I looked in /usr/kde/3/bin/ and konqueror's
> file permissions are the same as the other applications that work.  I
> had read somewhere about a magic cookie based secrity feature used by
> konq, but I have not found a solution yet. Any help is appreciated.

wrong newsgroups, try comp.windows.x.kde

I've taken the liberty of chucking this in there for you and setting the
follow-ups to just that newsgroup

--
Paul Cooke
  Registered Linux user 273897 Machine registration number 156819

1. how do you associate file with different apps in the kde file manager?

Grunter Wrote:
Start kfmsu2 and go to $KDEDIR/share/mimelnk/text and right-click
"Plain" and choose "Settings"|"Bindings" and as "Standard Program"
choose Texteditor.

You must restart KDE before the change takes effect.

--
Thomas O.

2. vfprintf dumps core

3. Intelligent mouse freezing in copy files through KDE file manager

4. Where's Enlightenment?

5. KDE File Manager(kfm) crash???

6. When call close () in client, I want to understand method to catch this urgently.

7. stupid kde file manager!

8. Memory/Swap problems

9. Odd problem with KDE file manager

10. Text color in KDE file manager on web pages

11. using kfm (KDE file manager) as a web browser from within Pine

12. kde file manager (kfm) bug?

13. KDE file manager hangs