List of questions from a Linux newbie...

Post by Chua Beng H » Tue, 10 Jun 1997 04:00:00

I'm new to Linux, and would like to have the answer to the following
questions :

How do I :
1) delete an user??
2) set up my printer??
3) access my CDROM from Linux??
4) set up Linux such that it will connect to the LAN that I'm connected with
   (Network card and IP address have been specified, and how do I access the
   network files and data??)
5) set up my sound card??

If u r able to give me answers or suggestions to the following questions,
please reply to me.

List of questions from a Linux newbie...

Post by Simo » Tue, 10 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I'm new to Linux, and would like to have the answer to the following
> questions :

If you are using RedHat things are a lot easier. While in X Windows, enter
the `su' command in a window, and then type `control-panel &' (without the
quote marks!) to get their graphical control panel. This lets you add and
remove users, and also allows you to set up the printer with a minimum
amount of fuss.

Quote:> How do I :
> 1) delete an user??

If you want to prevent them logging in (for example, if suspend some-one's
account) simply change their home directory name (eg. from /home/sms to
/home/sms.nologin) If you want to remove them totally from the system, I
guess that all you have to do is to take their entry out of /etc/passwd
(so that the system no longer recognises their login name) and then `rm
-rf /home/user.name' to remove their disk allocation (umm... bad phrasing,
but you get the idea) Obviously you should be doing this as root.

Quote:> 2) set up my printer??

Have a look at the Printing-HOWTO. If you've got a complete installation
it may be worth your while doing a `find / -name "*HOWTO*" -print
2>/dev/null' to attempt to find them - they can prove to be quite
useful....

Quote:> 3) access my CDROM from Linux??

Most kernals come with support for iso9660 (the CdRom disc format)
compiled in. All you have to know is where the drive physically is: is it
on the second, third or even fourth IDE channel (I am assuming your using
a normal IDE CdRom drive) these corresspond to /dev/hdb, /dev/hdc and
/dev/hdd respectively. To mount it just the once type:

mount -t iso9660 /dev/hd? /mnt/cdrom

which means: mount a device which is formatted using the iso9660 standard
(ie. it's a Cd) and can physically be found at /dev/hd? (where the `?'
should be replaced with the appopriate letter) so that I can access it
from /mnt/cdrom

if you're going to be needing it a lot, put an entry in your /etc/fstab,
eg.

/dev/hdb1       /mnt/cdrom   iso9660          ro,user,defaults 0 0

This will allow you to enter the command `mount /mnt/cdrom' to mount the
drive, and what's more any user can do it (the `user' option) the `ro'
simply means that this is a read-only device.

To allow you to eject the CdRom, enter the command `umount /mnt/cdrom' -
it's the same command whichever way you've mounted it.

Quote:> 4) set up Linux such that it will connect to the LAN that I'm connected with
>    (Network card and IP address have been specified, and how do I access the
>    network files and data??)

Not sure, so I'm not going to open my mouth here.

Quote:> 5) set up my sound card??

It's in the kernal HOWTO (and this answer is far too long as it is - if
you really want some-one to help, I'll email you seperately instructions
but only on request)

Quote:> If u r able to give me answers or suggestions to the following questions,
> please reply to me.

Hope that helps

Cheers,

Simon

List of questions from a Linux newbie...

Post by web surf » Wed, 11 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm new to Linux, and would like to have the answer to the following
>questions :

these are basic questions that deserve something of an answer.  i won't promise
my answers are the best or definitive, but they should point you in the right
direction.

Quote:

>How do I :
>1) delete an user??

i recall a utility to add users but i am unable to locate one via man anymore.
i thought there was a companion program to delete users but that seems to not
exist (hence your question).  what i do is track down all instances of the
user's login name and delete that entry (or piece) and then remove the home
directory.  start off in /etc.  for this example we will delete my net surfer
account.

% cd /etc
% find . -type f -exec grep -il surfer {} \;
./group
./passwd
./aliases
./aliases.db
./passwd.OLD
%

we don't need to worry about aliases.db as that will be recreated (i run
sendmail hence this file will be recreated) and passwd.OLD is a relic.

now edit the remaining list (group, passwd, aliases) to remove the user.
since i run gid that correspond to the uid, i will delete the line that
contains the base reference for the user, as well as any additional occurances
of the sid.  this may or may not remove an entire line.  for examples:

1) % grep surfer group
 ppp::20:ppp,surfer
 surfer::308:surfer

so we need to delete the entire second line but only the surfer reference in
the first line (don't forget the ',').

2) % grep surfer aliases
 surfer: /dev/null

might as well delete the entire line here unless you want to point someone else
to /dev/null.  then just change the sid.  (and yes, any replies to me do go to
/dev/null.  this is my web surfer account and i don't take email under it.)
after you modify this file you may need to rerun newaliases to rebuild the
aliases.db file.

3) % grep surfer passwd
surfer:*:513:308:web surfer:/home/gallows/surfer:/bin/bash

this entire line should be deleted but not yet.

first, delete the home directory.  do this with:

rm -r /home/gallows/surfer

that should remove the user from your system.  (note that my machine name is
gallows so i have that covered in the /home filesystem. your system may be
different).  once you are sure you have delete the above references to the sid,
then you can remove the passwd entry.  after you have done this, if you are
running NIS you will need to change dir to /var/yp and run make in this dir.
but only if you are running NIS.  if you aren't running NIS then don't worry.
you should be done.

Quote:>2) set up my printer??

best you look at the printer faq for this one.

Quote:>3) access my CDROM from Linux??

provided you have cdrom support compiled into the kernel (make sure you have
the correct type of cdrom, either scsi or (e)ide) you should be able to put
an entry similar to the following in your /etc/fstab file (or whatever the
equivalent is under your type of linux)

/dev/scd0       /cdrom          iso9660 user,noauto,ro,exec

and then anyone can mount and umount the cdrom.  you may need to modify the
device name /dev/scd0 to something else like /dev/hd?0.

Quote:>4) set up Linux such that it will connect to the LAN that I'm connected with
>   (Network card and IP address have been specified, and how do I access the
>   network files and data??)

i suspect you want to make sure your linux box is in the appropriate entries
on the remote machine, that the remote machine is exporting the info you need,
and that you have the correct mount entry in the /etc/fstab.  also, you may
need to modify access for a remote machine.  look for info on the rhost file
(and the r commands, rdist, rlogin, rsh) and read the documentation....

Quote:>5) set up my sound card??

your best bet is to consult the tech papers in the distro of the kernel.

Quote:

>If u r able to give me answers or suggestions to the following questions,
>please reply to me.

best of luck.  i read this group so followups are welcome.  as i said before,
this is not etched in concrete.  you may want to think about some of what is
writen above.  especially since i am falling asleep.  goodnight!  and i hope
this puts you on the right path.
--
this account sends incoming mail to /dev/null.
followups to newsgroups only please!  thanks!

List of questions from a Linux newbie...

Post by Johan Kullsta » Wed, 11 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I'm new to Linux, and would like to have the answer to the following
> questions :
> How do I :
> 1) delete an user??

1) become root.
2) edit /etc/passwd and delete the line with that user.
3) remove defunct users directory.

Quote:> 2) set up my printer??

it depends on the printer and how you connect it.  serial or parallel?
with a parallel printer, recompile your kernel to give support (either
build it in or make a module).

Quote:> 3) access my CDROM from Linux??

mount /mnt/cdrom

well the /mnt/cdrom might be /cdrom.  also you might need to add an
entry to /etc/fstab describing it.

Quote:> 4) set up Linux such that it will connect to the LAN that I'm connected with
>    (Network card and IP address have been specified, and how do I access the
>    network files and data??)

hmm dunno.

Quote:> 5) set up my sound card??

this depends *a lot* on your particular sound card.
basically, bring out your docs on the card.  configure the kernel for
it and remake it.

Quote:> If u r able to give me answers or suggestions to the following questions,
> please reply to me.

search for a how-to or check dejanews for info on recompiling kernels.

i hope this was of some slight help.

--

List of questions from a Linux newbie...

Post by James Youngma » Wed, 11 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> I'm new to Linux, and would like to have the answer to the following
> questions :

You don't say what distributuion you use.

Quote:> How do I :
> 1) delete an user??

Use the "User Configuration" applet from Red Hat Linux's control-panel
or do it the long way by removing their entry from /etc/passwd
manually -- "man 5 passwd"

Quote:> 2) set up my printer??

Use the "Printer Configuration" applet from Red Hat Linux's
control-panel or do it the long way by editing /etc/printcap (and
struggling but YMMV) -- "man 5 printcap".

Quote:> 3) access my CDROM from Linux??

Use the "Filesystem Configuration" applet from Red Hat Linux's
control-panel or do it the long ay by setting up /etc/fstab -- "man 5
fstab".

Quote:> 4) set up Linux such that it will connect to the LAN that I'm connected with
>    (Network card and IP address have been specified, and how do I access the
>    network files and data??)

Use the "Network configuration" applet from Red Hat's control panel or
do it the long way by reading the NET-2 HOWTO and Olaf Kirch's guide
at ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/linux-doc-project/network-guide/

Quote:> 5) set up my sound card??

That's trickier.  I don't have one and so can't really help you there.

List of questions from a Linux newbie...

Post by Perry Donh » Wed, 11 Jun 1997 04:00:00

    >>  I'm new to Linux, and would like to have the answer to the
    >> following questions :

    James> You don't say what distributuion you use.

    >> How do I : 1) delete an user??

    James> Use the "User Configuration" applet from Red Hat Linux's
    James> control-panel or do it the long way by removing their entry
    James> from /etc/passwd manually -- "man 5 passwd"

    >> 2) set up my printer??

    James> Use the "Printer Configuration" applet from Red Hat Linux's
    James> control-panel or do it the long way by editing
    James> /etc/printcap (and struggling but YMMV) -- "man 5
    James> printcap".

    >> 3) access my CDROM from Linux??

    James> Use the "Filesystem Configuration" applet from Red Hat
    James> Linux's control-panel or do it the long ay by setting up
    James> /etc/fstab -- "man 5 fstab".

    >> 4) set up Linux such that it will connect to the LAN that I'm
    >> connected with (Network card and IP address have been
    >> specified, and how do I access the network files and data??)

    James> Use the "Network configuration" applet from Red Hat's
    James> control panel or do it the long way by reading the NET-2
    James> HOWTO and Olaf Kirch's guide at
    James> ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/linux-doc-project/network-guide/

    >> 5) set up my sound card??

    James> That's trickier.  I don't have one and so can't really help
    James> you there.

You mean he can't just "Use the 'Sound Card Configuration' applet from
Red hat's control panel" to do it? Gosh! Maybe there really *is*
something to learning all those scary commands...

Perry (tongue firmly in cheek)

                      PGP encrypted mail welcome
            Visit KidPub!  http://www.kidpub.org/kidpub

List of questions from a Linux newbie...

Post by Colin Smi » Thu, 12 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>> I'm new to Linux, and would like to have the answer to the following
>> questions :

:>

On RedHat do the following.

Login as root
start up X with startx, or login to xdm

start up control-panel
go to modules -> user and group configuration

Quote:>> How do I :
>> 1) delete an user??

:>
:> 1) become root.
:> 2) edit /etc/passwd and delete the line with that user.
:> 3) remove defunct users directory.
:>

Quote:>> 2) set up my printer??

from control-panel go to modules-> printer configuration

:>
:> it depends on the printer and how you connect it.  serial or parallel?
:> with a parallel printer, recompile your kernel to give support (either
:> build it in or make a module).
:>

Quote:>> 3) access my CDROM from Linux??

:>

from control-panel go to Modules -> file system configuration

:> mount /mnt/cdrom
:>
:> well the /mnt/cdrom might be /cdrom.  also you might need to add an
:> entry to /etc/fstab describing it.
:>

Quote:>> 4) set up Linux such that it will connect to the LAN that I'm connected with
>>    (Network card and IP address have been specified, and how do I access the
>>    network files and data??)

:>

from control-panel go to Modules -> network configuration

:> hmm dunno.
:>

Quote:>> 5) set up my sound card??

Build a new kernel. Go to /usr/src/linux and run make xconfig (logged in to X11
as root) and the config util will run.

:>
:> this depends *a lot* on your particular sound card.
:> basically, bring out your docs on the card.  configure the kernel for
:> it and remake it.
:>

Quote:>> If u r able to give me answers or suggestions to the following questions,
>> please reply to me.

:>
:> search for a how-to or check dejanews for info on recompiling kernels.
:>
:> i hope this was of some slight help.
:>

--
Archeus Free FRPG - http://www.geocities.com/Area51/3002/

My opinions are completely my own, bought and paid for.

List of questions from a Linux newbie...

Post by louis.kru.. » Thu, 12 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm new to Linux, and would like to have the answer to the following
>questions :

So am I, but I've learned one thing:
Quote:>3) access my CDROM from Linux??

add a line in lilo.conf:
append "ide3=0x168,0x36e" if you are using a CDROM of the Soundblaster
card's ide.  The addresses above you could compare with your card's
handbook and change it accordingly.  You don't have add the IRQ, the
kernel will determine that by itself.

1. Newbie question - mailing list, or web site dealing with newbies security in linux?

Hey, I'm looking for a way to secure my new linux system, but I'm
totally lost with the man papers, and other books dealing with
security. They all seem to be written for the advanced user who
understands these things. Any mailing lists, or web sites, that can
explain how to set up the IP chains firewall, and making your system
secure? I see there's something in Gnome on setting up the IP chains,
but again, it's beyond my experience to do it right.

2. SIGCOMM tutorial: Client/Server Comp. (M. Andressen) Boston 8/28/95

3. alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions list.linux-activists.kernel list.linux-activists.serial list.linux-activists.problem-reports list.linux-activists.question

4. Hitachi 7730 cdrom problem.

5. Newbie question: listing folder and file sizes

6. PLEASE HELP !! Having a problem installing CDE!! Says file not found!!

7. newbie question: listing users

8. scandisk goofed up lilo?

9. List of Questions - Newbie

10. linux newbie--newbie question follows

11. NEWBIE channel on the Linux mailing list, join now!

12. Mailing list for Linux Newbies

13. linux newbie mailing list??