Help changing video driver

Post by buschman.. » Fri, 28 May 1999 04:00:00

As you can tell I am very new to Linux.  I originally had a 2MB S3 video
card in my Linux machine.  I have up graded it to a 4MB S3 video card.
How do I change the driver?  Currently, I am difficulty exiting X
Windows and my boss thought it might be due to the new video card.  When
Linux starts up, no problem, all the words seem fine.  If I go to X
Windows everything is still fine, even in XTerm.  But once I exit from X
Windows, all the words on the screen are "garbled" up.  The letters are
out of order but linux is still working fine.  If I type telnet or
startx, those respective programs run fine.  If I use telnet it will
work however the words are still garbled.  If I return to X Windows then
evrything is fine, even in XTerm, until I exit again.  So the only way
for me to work in a true linux environment without X Windows, is when I
first start up.  I apoligize for the length of this message and will
truely appreciate any advise on my problem, be it a video driver or not.

Thanks,
Mike B.

Help changing video driver

Post by carl » Fri, 28 May 1999 04:00:00

I don't have an answer, but I too have had the samething happen. Would love
to the fix.

> As you can tell I am very new to Linux.  I originally had a 2MB S3 video
> card in my Linux machine.  I have up graded it to a 4MB S3 video card.
> How do I change the driver?  Currently, I am difficulty exiting X
> Windows and my boss thought it might be due to the new video card.  When
> Linux starts up, no problem, all the words seem fine.  If I go to X
> Windows everything is still fine, even in XTerm.  But once I exit from X
> Windows, all the words on the screen are "garbled" up.  The letters are
> out of order but linux is still working fine.  If I type telnet or
> startx, those respective programs run fine.  If I use telnet it will
> work however the words are still garbled.  If I return to X Windows then
> evrything is fine, even in XTerm, until I exit again.  So the only way
> for me to work in a true linux environment without X Windows, is when I
> first start up.  I apoligize for the length of this message and will
> truely appreciate any advise on my problem, be it a video driver or not.

> Thanks,
> Mike B.

Help changing video driver

Post by Gerald Willman » Fri, 28 May 1999 04:00:00

> > As you can tell I am very new to Linux.  I originally had a 2MB S3 video
> > card in my Linux machine.  I have up graded it to a 4MB S3 video card.
> > How do I change the driver?  Currently, I am difficulty exiting X
> > Windows and my boss thought it might be due to the new video card.  When
> > Linux starts up, no problem, all the words seem fine.  If I go to X
> > Windows everything is still fine, even in XTerm.  But once I exit from X
> > Windows, all the words on the screen are "garbled" up.  The letters are
> > out of order but linux is still working fine.  If I type telnet or
> > startx, those respective programs run fine.  If I use telnet it will
> > work however the words are still garbled.  If I return to X Windows then
> > evrything is fine, even in XTerm, until I exit again.  So the only way
> > for me to work in a true linux environment without X Windows, is when I
> > first start up.  I apoligize for the length of this message and will
> > truely appreciate any advise on my problem, be it a video driver or not.

are you using a S3 or a S3 Virge? A colleague of mine had this problem
with a S3 Virge - search on dejanews for remedies. In her case it didn't
help and she got a S3 (non virge). One cheap and easy way around this is
to set the default runlevel to 5.
                                                        Gerald

Help changing video driver

Post by Ahh Umm.. » Fri, 28 May 1999 04:00:00

Run XF86Setup to change your settings (must be root).

> As you can tell I am very new to Linux.  I originally had a 2MB S3 video
> card in my Linux machine.  I have up graded it to a 4MB S3 video card.
> How do I change the driver?  Currently, I am difficulty exiting X
> Windows and my boss thought it might be due to the new video card.  When
> Linux starts up, no problem, all the words seem fine.  If I go to X
> Windows everything is still fine, even in XTerm.  But once I exit from X
> Windows, all the words on the screen are "garbled" up.  The letters are
> out of order but linux is still working fine.  If I type telnet or
> startx, those respective programs run fine.  If I use telnet it will
> work however the words are still garbled.  If I return to X Windows then
> evrything is fine, even in XTerm, until I exit again.  So the only way
> for me to work in a true linux environment without X Windows, is when I
> first start up.  I apoligize for the length of this message and will
> truely appreciate any advise on my problem, be it a video driver or not.

> Thanks,
> Mike B.

Help changing video driver

Post by Sitaram Chamar » Sat, 29 May 1999 04:00:00

>As you can tell I am very new to Linux.  I originally had a 2MB S3 video
>card in my Linux machine.  I have up graded it to a 4MB S3 video card.
>How do I change the driver?  Currently, I am difficulty exiting X
>Windows and my boss thought it might be due to the new video card.  When
>Linux starts up, no problem, all the words seem fine.  If I go to X
>Windows everything is still fine, even in XTerm.  But once I exit from X
>Windows, all the words on the screen are "garbled" up.  The letters are
>out of order but linux is still working fine.  If I type telnet or
>startx, those respective programs run fine.  If I use telnet it will
>work however the words are still garbled.  If I return to X Windows then
>evrything is fine, even in XTerm, until I exit again.  So the only way
>for me to work in a true linux environment without X Windows, is when I
>first start up.  I apoligize for the length of this message and will
>truely appreciate any advise on my problem, be it a video driver or not.

Do you mean you see strange characters instead of the normal text?

After you get back to text mode, try typing in - very carefully
(since you cant see what you're doing):

    echo ^V^O <enter>

where the ^V is a Ctrl-Vm the ^O is a Ctrl-O.

If this doesnt fix it, I have misunderstood your question.

If it does, I dont really see how a video card upgrade should
cause this problem!

1. Help changing video driver

[...]

2. Logitech Mouse problems with X

3. HELP - video driver and mouse driver conflict ????

4. solaris 7 and jdk 1.4

5. How do you Change the video Driver?

6. Trigger (no, not the horse...)

7. Change Video Driver?

8. moving and replacing directory with tar?

9. Changing resolution without "no video driver"

10. How do I change drivers for video and monitors

11. How To Change Video Driver?

12. 2.5.4, add 1 help text to drivers/video/Config.help

13. 2.5.9-dj1, add one help text to drivers/video/Config.help.