Linux and shared swap space with ms-windows

Linux and shared swap space with ms-windows

Post by morone » Wed, 19 Apr 1995 04:00:00

I am currently using a shared swap space (between linux 1.2.0 and ms-windows
3.1/ dos 6.2).  I was just wondering if I would notice a performance
difference if I switched to using a swap space specifically for linux.

Anybody know the difference between the two in terms of performace.

I have a pentium 90 with 16meg.  I generally run apps that end up using
an average of 8 meg of swap.

Thanks for any info.

___________
Ken Moroney

Post by Cees de Gro » Fri, 21 Apr 1995 04:00:00

>I am currently using a shared swap space (between linux 1.2.0 and ms-windows
>3.1/ dos 6.2).  I was just wondering if I would notice a performance
>difference if I switched to using a swap space specifically for linux.

>Anybody know the difference between the two in terms of performace.

>I have a pentium 90 with 16meg.  I generally run apps that end up using
>an average of 8 meg of swap.

You don't tell how you are sharing swapspace. I once used to use the
Windows swapfile (mkswap /dosc/<what's_the_things_name on every boot),
and that goes over the filesystem (which means it's *y slow). If you
use the method where you put Windows swap on a separate partition, dd
out the most important data of the partition and then make a swap partition
from it on every boot (and restore the DOS FAT filesystem on every shutdown),
you won't notice a performance difference, because it is essentially the
same method.

--

PGP23a:  73 5D BA 7C F8 EF DD 65  56 68 AF BB 2B 58 2C 8B [Key on servers]
<A HREF=http://www.veryComputer.com/;Click</A>