linux on !intel ?

Post by Brian James OConnell - 38467 » Mon, 23 Sep 1996 04:00:00

My org has inherited 2 sun pizza boxes. I am not aware of linux for any
platform other than intel stuff; is there something similiar for one of my
sun boxes (no budget to buy Sun OS) ??

thanx

linux on !intel ?

Post by Theo Van Dint » Mon, 23 Sep 1996 04:00:00

: My org has inherited 2 sun pizza boxes. I am not aware of linux for any
: platform other than intel stuff; is there something similiar for one of my
: sun boxes (no budget to buy Sun OS) ??

Linux Sparc is available, but in an insane amount of un-usefullness, I
can't tell you where to look... I assume if you do a web search for 'linux
sparc' or something along that nature, you'll find it.

l8a.

Theo Van Dinter                          www: http://www.kluge.net/~felicity/
Vice-President WPI Lens and Lights           Active Member in SocComm and ACM

             Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

linux on !intel ?

Post by Andy K » Tue, 24 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>: My org has inherited 2 sun pizza boxes. I am not aware of linux for any
>: platform other than intel stuff; is there something similiar for one of my
>: sun boxes (no budget to buy Sun OS) ??
>Linux Sparc is available, but in an insane amount of un-usefullness, I
>can't tell you where to look... I assume if you do a web search for 'linux
>sparc' or something along that nature, you'll find it.

Actually, SparcLinux is coming along quite nicely.  RedHat has their
Rembrandt beta available for FTP at ftp.redhat.com.  I've personally
run it on three different sparcs, and while still a WIP, it seems
pretty stable.

linux on !intel ?

:
: Linux Sparc is available, but in an insane amount of un-usefullness, I
: can't tell you where to look... I assume if you do a web search for 'linux
: sparc' or something along that nature, you'll find it.

RedHat has released Rembrandt II for both Intel and Sparc.

There's an installation guide on their site too.  Doesn't look
all that intimidating...

http://www.redhat.com/redhat/rembrandt/rembrandt-sparc.html

--

       My employers like me, but not enough to let me speak for them...
        "Duct tape is like The Force; it has a light side and a dark

linux on !intel ?

Post by B.A.McCau.. » Wed, 25 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>My org has inherited 2 sun pizza boxes. I am not aware of linux for any
>platform other than intel stuff; is there something similiar for one of my
>sun boxes (no budget to buy Sun OS) ??

Linux is availble of an ever increasing number of platforms (Sparc,
Alpha, RS/6000, MIPS, 68000...).  Check out the Web sites for details.

linux on !intel ?

Post by Kevin Driedg » Thu, 26 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> : : My org has inherited 2 sun pizza boxes. I am not aware of linux for any
> : : platform other than intel stuff; is there something similiar for one of my
> : : sun boxes (no budget to buy Sun OS) ??
> :
> : Linux Sparc is available, but in an insane amount of un-usefullness, I
> : can't tell you where to look... I assume if you do a web search for 'linux
> : sparc' or something along that nature, you'll find it.

> RedHat has released Rembrandt II for both Intel and Sparc.

> There's an installation guide on their site too.  Doesn't look
> all that intimidating...

I have installed it with no out of the ordinary problems.  If you really want to
be sure wait until it is out of beta.

> http://www.redhat.com/redhat/rembrandt/rembrandt-sparc.html

> --

>        My employers like me, but not enough to let me speak for them...
>         "Duct tape is like The Force; it has a light side and a dark
>     side, and it holds the universe together." --Inverso, McKinney, et al

--
Kevin Driedger                  |CrossKeys Systems Corporation

http://www.synapse.net/~driedge |Service Level Management Solutions

linux on !intel ?

Post by Henry Wa » Thu, 26 Sep 1996 04:00:00

: My org has inherited 2 sun pizza boxes. I am not aware of linux for any
: platform other than intel stuff; is there something similiar for one of my
: sun boxes (no budget to buy Sun OS) ??

Linux for Sparc is running!  It is still in development, however.
See <http://www.geog.ubc.ca/sparc/faq.html>

There is a RedHat version of SparcLinux: <http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/rhl-sparc/> and a HOWTO at <http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/rhl-sparc/SparcLinux-HOWTO/SparcLi...>

Happy hacking,
Henry Ware
--
Henry Ware

1. Linux on Intel STL2 Dual Processor with Intel SC5000 casing and Sony LCD

Hi,
I am building a linux machine for post-grad project simulation purposes;
dual P3-1GHz processors with 1GB ram, U160 harddisk.

However i'm not sure if i should spend so much money on Intel server boards
and its expensive proprietary casing; SC5000.

Cost of Intel STL2 motherboard: US$600
Cost of Intel SC5000 casing:    US$800

Comparing that with a cheaper MSI or TYAN motherboard and cheaper casing,
does Intel really give that much more stability and performance??

Since I would be running Linux, perhaps getting Intel would be a better idea
since there could be potential drivers-related issues pertaining to machines
with VIA chipset??

Need advice guys...

Thanks.

2. nedit on Linux-ppc

3. Seeking Linux laptop (Name brand, Intel chipset, ATI/Intel video, LAN)

4. Running progs on Netware server

5. Intel is closeing down the Intel motherbroad support forum.

6. using proxy server?

7. Intel Secrets -- What Intel Doesn't Want You To Know

8. RSH problem - solved

9. Q: which of Intel Zappa/Intel Triton mb?

10. Intel Pro/100+ Fast Ethernet Controller (Intel 82559)

11. Intel Atlatis or Intel Endeaver motherboards? PCI Video

12. Linux on Intel vs. Linux on Alpha

13. g++ and -frepo problems on Intel Linux (i586-pc-linux-gnu)