Anything better than tbl and troff?

Post by Jim Kunzm » Mon, 04 Aug 1997 04:00:00

I'm looking for something to print relational database reports in
landscape mode with scalable fonts and text in boxes.  Three columns must
support text wrapping.  I'd like a non-commercial solution if available,
but I'm not opposed to purchasing a good product.

Something like Crystal Reports would be great, but report pre/post
processing must be command line driven for automation.  The output will
go to a Postscript printer.

I've tried using perl to create a tbl compatible file which then runs
through "tbl file | troff | grops -l | lp" and I'm close to getting the
results I want, but there must be an easier/better way after all of these
years!

I've also tried HTMLifying the text in tables and printing with a
browser.  This works too, except that I can't find a way to automate the
printing process. In addition, users must select landscape mode manually
using this method of report printing.

Oh yeah, I prefer to run on Linux or Solaris 2.5.1.

TIA.

Post by James Youngma » Tue, 05 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> I'm looking for something to print relational database reports in
> landscape mode with scalable fonts and text in boxes.  Three columns must
> support text wrapping.  I'd like a non-commercial solution if available,
> but I'm not opposed to purchasing a good product.

How about*?

1. EASY?? TROFF and TBL question

I am trying to organize a TBL file to use with TROFF to
make a multi column document.

I would like to tell TBL what column numbers I would like my columns
to start at, but I can't not figure out how to do this.

For instance, how would I tell TBL that I want 4 columns, left justified,
and beginning at column 1, column 15, column 30, and column 45?

This seems like it should be easy, but I am not sure how to go about
specifying this.

Direct responses greatly appreciated.
Thanks much in advance,
Jeff Dilcher

2. Disk information from solaris

3. tbl/troff in landscape??

4. problem compiling X11R6 on Solaris 2.2 (getpwnam_r, getpwuid_r)

5. Any good books on troff/ms/tbl etc?

6. UXGA LCD connected by DVI

7. where can I find troff and / or tbl?

8. RH7.1 font problem.

9. Obscure question about troff and tbl.... :-(

10. Error message: GNU tbl requires GNU troff

11. Howto shade boxes using [g]tbl & [g]troff

12. Idleout inadequacies - anybody know of anything better?

13. Do LinoNerds have anything better to do??