denying & allowing hosts

Post by Otavio Ex » Wed, 31 Dec 1997 04:00:00

hi everybody,

I'm running samba 1.9.17p2 on Debian 1.3 (bo); I see there are two
(conflicting) mechanisms for denying & allowing hosts:

- /etc/hosts.allow & /etc/hosts.deny
- 'allow hosts' & 'deny hosts' in smb.conf

how do they relate? does samba bypass the standard /etc/hosts.allow &
/etc/hosts.deny mechanism?

sorry but, for some reason, I'm not beeing able to perform the tests
needed to find this out by myself..

TIA,

--
Otavio Exel /<\oo/>\

denying & allowing hosts

Post by Jim Howe » Wed, 31 Dec 1997 04:00:00

: does samba bypass the standard /etc/hosts.allow &
: /etc/hosts.deny mechanism?

If you are running smbd and nmbd though inetd.conf _AND_ using the
tcpd tcp-wrapper, then the hosts.allow and hosts.deny will work.
Inetd doesn't use them itself.

As the default method for running samba is either
   A) Run as a daemon
or B) Run from inetd.conf without tcp wrappers

the hosts access files don't apply.

See hosts_access(5) for more info (man 5 hosts_access)

Regards,
Jim