Trying to re-build kernel for Zip 250 Drive (Par)

Trying to re-build kernel for Zip 250 Drive (Par)

Post by Robin Welc » Sat, 06 May 2000 04:00:00

I have a parallel Iomega Zip 250 drive which I would like to be
recognised by RH 6.2 (PC is dual boot W95 / RH 6.2) I followed the
Mini-HOWTO on Zip Drive but 'insmod ppa' didn't work - I got errors
relating to parport_??? functions.

I followed the Mini-HOWTO and rebuilt the kernel but still got the
same error afterwards and now I get an unresolved symbols error on
boot-up.

After reading the Kernel HOWTO and a few mailings on the Red Hat web
site, I came to the conclusion that I need to configure things so that
parport and ppa are loaded into the initrd (ram disk) at boot time but
confusingly, the files mentioned in the postings didn't exist on my
system so I'm not sure how to do this.

If anyone can tell me what I've done wrong, if my hunch is right and
what I need to do to get the Zip drive working and resolve the boot
error, I'd be most grateful.

Robin.

-------------------------
Robin Welch, North London

1. Trying to re-build kernel for Zip 250 Drive (Par)

On Fri, 05 May 2000 01:20:51 +0100, Robin Welch

Probably because the ZIP 250 uses the imm module, not the ppa module.  Try
that and see what that does.

Also make sure you have the lp module accessible ("Parallel Printer
Support").  I couldn't get a parallel port ZIP 100 working without that
module.  HTH,

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows              \###| You have me mixed up with more
There is no Darkness in Eternity         \##| creative ways of being stupid,

2. Pb with G3 B&W Rev1 and Keyboard

3. Zip 250 par -- Device not configured

4. Solaris user use NT resource.

5. Trying to install external Zip 250 (parallel) in debian

6. Multicasting and registration

7. ATAPI Zip 250 drive on Asus K7V

8. i810 sound starts and stops for 2.4.XX and i845PE chipset

9. Iomega Zip 250 parallel port drive.

10. 250 mb Zip drive

11. Redhat linux and Iomega Zip 250 drive

12. ZIP 100/250 drives w/linux

13. 250 Mb zip drives