Does playing sound from CDROM supposed to load sound module?

Does playing sound from CDROM supposed to load sound module?

Post by Jesus M. Salvo Jr » Tue, 02 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I have compiled sound as a module and have tested it. kerneld
automatically loads sound as a module when I do:

cat sample.au > /dev/audio

or

cat /dev/sndstat

Now when playing sound from my cdrom, I just type cdplay and I get sound
played through my sound card .... but the sound module does not get
loaded. I can load sound and unload it which does not affect the cdrom
playing audio.

Is this natural?

On startup, I isapnp is called and I initialze further my opti-based
sound card with a separate program.

John Salvo

Does playing sound from CDROM supposed to load sound module?

Post by Fabrizio Albonic » Tue, 02 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I have compiled sound as a module and have tested it. kerneld
> automatically loads sound as a module when I do:
> cat sample.au > /dev/audio
> or
> cat /dev/sndstat
> Now when playing sound from my cdrom, I just type cdplay and I get sound
> played through my sound card .... but the sound module does not get
> loaded. I can load sound and unload it which does not affect the cdrom
> playing audio.
> Is this natural?

Yes it is, provided you connected your CD-ROM to your SoundCard with the small,
grey cable. It is the same as if you would plug your headphones (or your boxes)
to the female connector in front of your CD drive.

- Fabrizio

1. Mozilla freezes when loading page with sound if sound already playing in background...

Mozilla freezes if a page I am loading calls for a sound on it while I have
a sound application running in the background.

This happens frequently and often without warning since I like to
listen to music in the background and many common Internet pages like
dailynews.yahoo.com apparantly have some embedded sound calls.

Apparantly the problem is due to the fact that my Linux sound
configuration can only play one sound stream at a time so that Mozilla
hangs while waiting for the other stream to terminate.

Is there any way to get multiple sound streams to play simultaneously
under Linux? (BTW Windoze seems to have no problem combining multiple
sound streams.)

This seems like a very basic sound requirement since people often have
some music streaming while still wanting/needing sound on their
computers.

I am running RH8.0/Linux 2.4.20 using Alsa 0.9.0 for sound and Mozilla
1.2.1 as my browser. My sound hardware is an integrated ADI AD1980
AC'97 audio codec on my ASUS P4PE motherboard.

Thanks,
Jeff

2. Linux: Which versions !

3. modules not automatically loaded + only have sound for WAV file (sound problem)

4. : ir258_mcp2120_driver.diff

5. Sound modules get loaded, but no sound card in the system

6. How to change hostname on Sol. 7 and 8

7. sound module doesn't load when I play a CD

8. PCI SCSI cards under Linux? (repeat?)

9. editing modules.conf to load sound driver modules

10. sound: sb awe32; playmidi plays, but no sound comes out

11. need help on play sound files to /dev/{audio,sound}

12. Odd failure with sound card/playing sounds

13. ESS1888 sound chip plays sounds half the speed (*dh)