Mount problem

Mount problem

Post by Michael Hil » Sun, 30 Mar 2003 08:49:26



I mounted a linux disk using:

mount -t ext3 /dev/hdb2 /mnt/hd

and now I want to mount a dos disk in the same drive location.

I should be able to use:

mount -t msdos /dev/hdb2 /mnt/hd

but I get a unrecognized fs type message. I also tried vfat as well. Looking
at the disk using partitionmagic it shows the hd as a FAT16B

Anyone have any ideas what I should try.

Mike

 
 
 

Mount problem

Post by dav.. » Sun, 30 Mar 2003 03:11:24



> I should be able to use:
> mount -t msdos /dev/hdb2 /mnt/hd

Usually the filesystem type is vfat. If you are sure that the system
is not fat32, maybe you have to add the support for the filesystem
in your kernel.

Davide

 
 
 

Mount problem

Post by Michael Hil » Mon, 31 Mar 2003 20:56:41


I looked ... and i didn't find any listing of msdos or vfat when I did "#cat
/proc/filesystems"

What do I do now? I have RH 8.0

Mike




> > I should be able to use:

> > mount -t msdos /dev/hdb2 /mnt/hd

> > but I get a unrecognized fs type message. I also tried vfat as well.
Looking
> > at the disk using partitionmagic it shows the hd as a FAT16B

> Does the kernel support vfat? "cat /proc/filesystems".

 
 
 

Mount problem

Post by Bill Marcu » Mon, 31 Mar 2003 21:00:23


On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 17:49:26 -0600, Michael Hill

> I mounted a linux disk using:

> mount -t ext3 /dev/hdb2 /mnt/hd

> and now I want to mount a dos disk in the same drive location.

> I should be able to use:

> mount -t msdos /dev/hdb2 /mnt/hd

> but I get a unrecognized fs type message. I also tried vfat as well. Looking
> at the disk using partitionmagic it shows the hd as a FAT16B

Maybe the partition ID doesn't match the actual filesystem.  Try
mount /dev/hdb2 /mnt/hd
without the -t.

--
No problem is so formidable that you can't just walk away from it.
                -- C. Schulz

 
 
 

Mount problem

Post by Jami » Tue, 01 Apr 2003 05:44:30



> I looked ... and i didn't find any listing of msdos or vfat when I did "#cat
> /proc/filesystems"
> What do I do now? I have RH 8.0

>> Does the kernel support vfat? "cat /proc/filesystems".

If you're using the 'stock' RH8.0 kernel RPM, then you've got vfat, fat,
msdos and umsdos available as modules under /lib/modules/2.4xx/kernel/fs.
Try modprobe'ing them all & then examine /proc/filesystems

HTH

...j

 
 
 

Mount problem

Post by Michael Hil » Wed, 02 Apr 2003 05:53:41


Can you give me an example of how to modeprobe



> > I looked ... and i didn't find any listing of msdos or vfat when I did
"#cat
> > /proc/filesystems"
> > What do I do now? I have RH 8.0

> >> Does the kernel support vfat? "cat /proc/filesystems".

> If you're using the 'stock' RH8.0 kernel RPM, then you've got vfat, fat,
> msdos and umsdos available as modules under /lib/modules/2.4xx/kernel/fs.
> Try modprobe'ing them all & then examine /proc/filesystems

> HTH

> ...j

 
 
 

Mount problem

Post by Russell Sha » Wed, 02 Apr 2003 00:50:23



> Can you give me an example of how to modeprobe

as root: modprobe -a \*
 
 
 

Mount problem

Post by Jason S. Manto » Wed, 02 Apr 2003 11:38:20




>> Can you give me an example of how to modeprobe

> as root: modprobe -a \*

um.. modprobe is under /sbin on RedHat 8.0 and there doesn't seem to be
a path to it

it'd be have to /sbin/modeprobe yada yada , but I'm not sure the rest of
the syntax is correct.  It generated a lot of * errors and a
segmentation fault when I just tried it : (

 
 
 

Mount problem

Post by Jason S. Manto » Wed, 02 Apr 2003 11:41:29





>>> Can you give me an example of how to modeprobe

>> as root: modprobe -a \*

> um.. modprobe is under /sbin on RedHat 8.0 and there doesn't seem to be
> a path to it

> it'd be have to /sbin/modeprobe yada yada , but I'm not sure the rest of
> the syntax is correct.  It generated a lot of * errors and a
> segmentation fault when I just tried it : (

ugh sorry for the typo.  That'd be /sbin/modprobe
then some arguments.  Same result though : (
 
 
 

Mount problem

Post by Tony Curti » Wed, 02 Apr 2003 11:44:07


>> On Tue, 01 Apr 2003 02:41:29 GMT,



>>>> Can you give me an example of how to modeprobe

>> as root: modprobe -a \*

>> um.. modprobe is under /sbin on RedHat 8.0 and there
>> doesn't seem to be a path to it it'd be have to
>> /sbin/modeprobe yada yada , but I'm not sure the rest
>> of the syntax is correct.  It generated a lot of *
>> errors and a segmentation fault when I just tried it :
>> (

> ugh sorry for the typo.  That'd be /sbin/modprobe then
> some arguments.  Same result though : (

Which modules are you trying to load?  Looks like "vfat"
or similar from the earlier messages, so

    /sbin/modprobe vfat

Repeat as necessary for other file systems.

hth
t

 
 
 

Mount problem

Post by Russell Sha » Wed, 02 Apr 2003 13:47:32





>>> Can you give me an example of how to modeprobe

>> as root: modprobe -a \*

> um.. modprobe is under /sbin on RedHat 8.0 and there doesn't seem to be
> a path to it

> it'd be have to /sbin/modeprobe yada yada , but I'm not sure the rest of
> the syntax is correct.  It generated a lot of * errors and a
> segmentation fault when I just tried it : (

You must be logged in as root, or do: sudo modprobe -a \*
 
 
 

Mount problem

Post by Michael Hil » Wed, 02 Apr 2003 20:21:11


OK, I executed:

#/sbin/modprobe vfat  ( no success or error message )

I then executed:

#cat /proc filesystems ( saw vfat and msdos in the listing this time )

I executed the mount command again:

#mount -t /dev/hdb2 /mnt/hd

and got the same message as before "wrong fs type or  ....... too many files
sytems mounted" I also took out the "-t" which some suggested and of course
it failed, manpages says it is required.

Something else has to be up ... I think we are getting closer.

Mike





> >>> Can you give me an example of how to modeprobe

> >> as root: modprobe -a \*

> > um.. modprobe is under /sbin on RedHat 8.0 and there doesn't seem to be
> > a path to it

> > it'd be have to /sbin/modeprobe yada yada , but I'm not sure the rest of
> > the syntax is correct.  It generated a lot of * errors and a
> > segmentation fault when I just tried it : (

> You must be logged in as root, or do: sudo modprobe -a \*

 
 
 

Mount problem

Post by Russell Sha » Wed, 02 Apr 2003 15:04:35



> OK, I executed:

> #/sbin/modprobe vfat  ( no success or error message )

> I then executed:

> #cat /proc filesystems ( saw vfat and msdos in the listing this time )

> I executed the mount command again:

> #mount -t /dev/hdb2 /mnt/hd

What happened to the msdos?

mount -t msdos /dev/hdb2 /mnt/hd

Quote:> and got the same message as before "wrong fs type or  ....... too many files
> sytems mounted" I also took out the "-t" which some suggested and of course
> it failed, manpages says it is required.

> Something else has to be up ... I think we are getting closer.

If you've added any new modules lately, then first do: depmod -a
 
 
 

Mount problem

Post by Michael Hil » Thu, 03 Apr 2003 05:16:14


yes i tried mount -t msdos /dev/hdb2 /mnt/hd

i executed:

depmod -a

and when it finished retried to mount but got the same problem. BTW, when I
went back into rh80 i noticed that cat /proc/filessystems failed to reveal
the vfat and msdos again so I executed /sbin/modprobe vfat and msdos both to
get me back to where I was. So. the sequence was:

cat /proc/filesystems (no devices)
/sbin/modprobe vfat
cat /proc/filesystems (devices exist)
/sbin/depmod -a
mount -t vfat /dev/hdb2 /mnt/hd

NO LUCK..still getting fs type message.



> > OK, I executed:

> > #/sbin/modprobe vfat  ( no success or error message )

> > I then executed:

> > #cat /proc filesystems ( saw vfat and msdos in the listing this time )

> > I executed the mount command again:

> > #mount -t /dev/hdb2 /mnt/hd

> What happened to the msdos?

> mount -t msdos /dev/hdb2 /mnt/hd

> > and got the same message as before "wrong fs type or  ....... too many
files
> > sytems mounted" I also took out the "-t" which some suggested and of
course
> > it failed, manpages says it is required.

> > Something else has to be up ... I think we are getting closer.

> If you've added any new modules lately, then first do: depmod -a

 
 
 

Mount problem

Post by Russell Sha » Wed, 02 Apr 2003 23:51:58



> yes i tried mount -t msdos /dev/hdb2 /mnt/hd

> i executed:

> depmod -a

> and when it finished retried to mount but got the same problem.

Note that you're meant to do the modprobe thing again after doing
depmod.

 > BTW, when I

Quote:> went back into rh80 i noticed that cat /proc/filessystems failed to reveal
> the vfat and msdos again so I executed /sbin/modprobe vfat and msdos both to
> get me back to where I was. So. the sequence was:

> cat /proc/filesystems (no devices)
> /sbin/modprobe vfat
> cat /proc/filesystems (devices exist)
> /sbin/depmod -a
> mount -t vfat /dev/hdb2 /mnt/hd

> NO LUCK..still getting fs type message.

Make sure you have the right options compiled in the kernel:

  <M> DOS FAT fs support
  <M>   MSDOS fs support
  <M>   VFAT (Windows-95) fs support

Maybe also:
  [Y]   PC BIOS (MSDOS partition tables) support

 
 
 

1. NFS mount problems: mount clntudp_create: RPC: Program not registered

Hello!

I am trying to mount a NFS volume on an old Linux 2.0.27 system
but recieve the following error message:

mount clntudp_create: RPC: Program not registered

The most confusing thing is that this mountpoint has worked
for several years...

The system is a RedHat 4.1 installation and I assumed
that nfs-server-2.2beta16-5 is the package involved.
Accordingly to rpm the files from the package are intact.

The NFS-server is a SunOS 5.7 system and the admin people
tell me that they know of no recent changes that could have
caused the previously working setup to fail...

I have check that rpc.nfsd is running and have rebooted the
system but the error remains.

Please Help!

/Bj?rn Medin

Bj?rn Medin
Product Manager
RF-IC and Modules

Ericsson Microelectronics AB        
Isafjordsgatan 16, KISTA     Phone:  +46 8 757 4162
S-164 81 KISTA - STOCKHOLM   Mobile: +46 70 5677289
Sweden                       Telefax:+46 8 757 4236

2. ClassicLX, Sol2.4, too many interrupts?

3. Mount Problems (RH7.0) Mounting an "old" SYSV/Xinit Disk!

4. 119414-05 wrong architecture

5. nfs mount problem: mount: can't get address for nfs-server.kauai

6. About madvise

7. Mount Problems (RH7.0) Mounting an "old" SYSV/Xinit Disk!

8. Anybody, help with 43P-140 !!!

9. "Mount Problem" Media not mounted correctly

10. floppy problems, not a mounting problem

11. Problem with NFS mounting problems

12. mount problem, swap problem

13. NFS mounting problems :(