HELP! mkisofs problem: can't create iso image!

HELP! mkisofs problem: can't create iso image!

Post by cple.. » Mon, 12 Feb 2001 07:08:15

I'm using mkisofs-1.13-3mdk on RedHat 6.2 Linux. I'm trying to create
the iso image of a directory tree:

 # mkisofs -J -r -o /mnt/dos/distr.iso /mnt/dos/distr

I get a strange error during the ISO creation. This is one example:

 (...)
 69.80% done, estimate finish Wed Feb  7 20:47:41 2001
 71.64% done, estimate finish Wed Feb  7 20:48:03 2001
 mkisofs: No such file or directory. cannot read from
 /mnt/dos/distr/linux/squid.kit/ncsa_auth

At this point the command is aborted.

The particular dirtree in on a DOS/FAT mounted partition, but I also
tried copying it entirely to a ext2 partition and it didn't help: same
error exactly in the same point.

The file "with problem" has no problem: I can read, edit, copy it etc.
normally. It is there and I don't know why mkisofs cannot find it.

I had this error with several different files. What worked most was:

 - renaming the file to something else
 - moving the directory to another level

I almost thought the problem was related to files that had, in their
filenames, the same first characters as the directory name (e.g.
/mnt/dos/distr/qmail/qmail.gz). Thus renaming them usually worked. But
the example above does not have this characteristic, as some other cases
don't have it either.

If I try hard (renaming and moving), I'm able to create the iso image
and burn a CD with no problems. But this is a tiring process, since the
errors tend to show up further and further to the end of the mkisofs
process (in the example above, I got rid of several previous errors and
I got this one at 71%).

I had the same problem with mkisofs-1.8 (the original one with RH 6.2).
Upgrading to version 1.13 was of no help. I'm using the 2.2.16-3 kernel
(the one available in the errata site of Red Hat).

Any help will be appreciated.

Bill.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Post by Scott Hemphil » Mon, 12 Feb 2001 11:27:41

> I'm using mkisofs-1.13-3mdk on RedHat 6.2 Linux. I'm trying to create
> the iso image of a directory tree:

>  # mkisofs -J -r -o /mnt/dos/distr.iso /mnt/dos/distr

> I get a strange error during the ISO creation. This is one example:

>  (...)
>  69.80% done, estimate finish Wed Feb  7 20:47:41 2001
>  71.64% done, estimate finish Wed Feb  7 20:48:03 2001
>  mkisofs: No such file or directory. cannot read from
>  /mnt/dos/distr/linux/squid.kit/ncsa_auth

> At this point the command is aborted.

How are you mounting the file system?

Quote:> The particular dirtree in on a DOS/FAT mounted partition, but I also
> tried copying it entirely to a ext2 partition and it didn't help: same
> error exactly in the same point.

Did it fail on the copy, or on the mkisofs?

Quote:> The file "with problem" has no problem: I can read, edit, copy it etc.
> normally. It is there and I don't know why mkisofs cannot find it.

Can you read, edit, copy it under DOS/Windows, or under Linux?

Quote:> I had the same problem with mkisofs-1.8 (the original one with RH 6.2).
> Upgrading to version 1.13 was of no help. I'm using the 2.2.16-3 kernel
> (the one available in the errata site of Red Hat).

[snip extra stuff]

I admit I don't fully understand your symptoms, but it smells to me
like a mount problem, not a mkisofs problem.  Are you mounting a file
system as "msdos" which should be "vfat"?  (Don't use type "auto"
either.)

Scott
--

"This isn't flying.  This is falling, with style."  -- Buzz Lightyear

1. Trouble creating bootable CD from YDL's iso image

Howdy,

I just downloaded Yellow Dog Linux as an iso CD-ROM image.  YDL readme
specifically says "Note on burning:  make sure you use your CD burning
software's 'Burn from ISO' option.  Mounting the iso image and then
burning will NOT work."

Trouble is, I can't find a way to do just that.  Help! :)

<>< Bruce

2. Strange memory management behavior?

3. mkisofs create iso with long filename

4. Shared Memory

5. Mkisofs: How to create an empty ISO9660 image

6. Can't solve PnP Modem Problem

7. Creating ISO9660 CDROM Images (mkisofs)

8. External Modem Woes - Help !!

9. Java run adnormally after using mkisofs to create image in Solaris

10. mkisofs - creating directory structure in cd-image file?

11. HELP! mkisofs problem: can't create iso image!

12. ISO ISO ISO ISO HELP

13. ISO Images to 650 or 700 MB CD's, and 'dd' or rawrite ???