Linux on SPARC and SUNOS $.1.3 binaries

Post by Meinrad Fun » Fri, 21 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Hello,

Last week I succeeded in installing Linux on a SPARC Classic. Since we
have some other SPARCS still running SUNOS 4.1.3 I tried to execute
their binaries on this machine, but failed. The reason seems to be
that the name of the dynamic libraries for SUNOS and Linux are
different. Can I just put a link with the name "ld.so" on my
Linux-SPARC or can I only use statically linked software?

Another question: Unfortunately we have some commercial libs
(libxxx.a) for SUNOS 4.1.3. Is there any possibility to link them
using g++ on the Linux-SPARC? If so this would be a tremendous help...

Greetings,
Meinrad

Inst. f. Angew. Mathematik  Tel: +49 (62 21) 54 54 45
Universitaet Heidelberg     FAX: +49 (62 21) 54 56 34
Im Neuenheimer Feld 294     http://www.iwr.uni-heidelberg.de/iwr/comopt/funke

1. Sparc-Binaries to SuperSparc (SunOS 4.1.1 to SunOS 4.1.3/Solaris 1.1)

Yes. All Single processor SPARC's are binary compatable. They all can
run SunOS 4.1.3.

For the multiprocessor SPARC's you will need to run Solaris 2.0(SunOS 5.0)
which is not binary compatable with SunOS4.1.3. You can run them in
binary compatablity mode but they will run slower and have to meet
several restrications on how the program was linked. These restrictions
include the following:

        1) The program must not try to access the kernel.
        2) Must be linked with the shared libaries. Preferably with
           shared lib's of 4.1.1 or better.
        3) Do not have hard coded paths to certain OS files. Like /etc/utmp

There are many more such restrictions.
The "biggest" problem is that it does not incorporate many of the
important patches and currentily these patches are not readily
avaliable to be on Internet. These patches include several
of the security patches such as the NFS Jumbo patch that
addresses security concerns.

But is does came with all the recent patches for Openwin3.0.

Yes. I am running 4.1.3 on my Sparc 2.

--

Electrical and Computer Engineering     - uunet!uceng!rmontjoy

-- The "Enviromental Destruction" President or a "Tax and Spend" President.
   This is a choice?

2. Help Needed: Writing NetBSD boot tape

3. Boo-boo in XFree86 1.3 linux binaries (Cirrus driver)

4. Wireless Extensions

5. Running AIX 1.3 binaries on LINUX

6. Classic serial port problem

7. Is NetBSD/Sparc binary compatiblity with SunOS 4.x?

8. XFree86: Colour Depths

9. Looking for SPARC/SunOS 5.3 binaries ftp sites

10. Term Binaries for Sparc 10/ SunOS 4.1.3

11. lack of ld.so (SPARC running SunOS binaries)

12. Run sunos-binaries on netbsd for sparc???

13. Emulator for Sparc SunOs Binaries ?