Screensaver capture

Post by James Youngma » Mon, 18 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> I'd like to use some of the graphics from various screensavers installed on my
> system (RH5.2, fvwm2) in some other work that I'm doing. Is there a way to
> capure a
> screen while the screensaver is running?

Not an easy way that I can think of.  But all the screen savers are
separate programs.  See the ouput of "rpm -ql xscreensaver| grep
lib".  They're not normally on your $PATH (as of Red Hat 5.2) but they
can be run by giving the full pathname, for example

$ /usr/X11R6/lib/xscreensaver/epicycle

--

Screensaver capture

Post by Matt Morriso » Tue, 19 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> > I'd like to use some of the graphics from various screensavers installed on my
> > system (RH5.2, fvwm2) in some other work that I'm doing. Is there a way to
> > capure a
> > screen while the screensaver is running?

> Not an easy way that I can think of.  But all the screen savers are
> separate programs.  See the ouput of "rpm -ql xscreensaver| grep
> lib".  They're not normally on your $PATH (as of Red Hat 5.2) but they
> can be run by giving the full pathname, for example

> $ /usr/X11R6/lib/xscreensaver/epicycle

OK, I answered my own question. Start up GIMP, and under the 'Xtns' menu is
'Screen Shot'. Run the screensaver of choice using the above path and it'll
pop up in its own window. You can then grab a shot of the window without
decorations and go from there.

--
Matt Morrison

http://webstu.messiah.edu/~mm1173