can anyone help me run the ftp server on RH8.0 ?

can anyone help me run the ftp server on RH8.0 ?

Post by paul-ne » Sun, 24 Nov 2002 09:08:24

my RH8.0 is running xinetd

can anyone help me run the ftp server ?

such as the one provided by web hosts ?

(i am lost and maybe forget about linux altogether)

Post by Markku Kolkk » Sat, 23 Nov 2002 20:52:00

> my RH8.0 is running xinetd

> can anyone help me run the ftp server ?

Install the vsftpd and anonftp packages, then enable the FTP
server with chkconfig or Server Settings->Services. Place the files
you want to make available in /var/ftp/pub.

--
        Markku Kolkka

1. help: running ftp server with wu-ftp

I'm trying to run an ftp server on a 486 running redhat 7 with wu-ftp.  I
have it installed and running.  Here's my problem:  when I log in as
anonymous it chroots me to /var/ftp (my ftp directory tree) but it won't
list any directories or files.  It will list them when I log in with my
standard user name, but not as anonymous.  I can change to the directories
only because I know what they are named.  The ls command just says no files
or directories.

Also, when I log in as myself, it puts me in /home/karl.  Is there a way I
can get it to chroot me to /var/ftp when I log in on ftp?  Will it chroot me
when I telnet then?  I'd rather it didn't, but if it must then that is ok
too.  I read wu-ftp's faq and tried what it said but I wasn't too sure of
what I was doing.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Karl

2. WTB: UDB System

3. Running RH8 as a server, on a server box.

4. Can DOSEMU drive par-port ?

5. : can't run ftp server in oe 9 after running JASS

6. Printer Problem

7. RH8 Runs slow - 6 runs fine

8. solstice and nis+

9. HELP : running FTP server

10. Configuring FTP server & NTP Server on SunE450 running solaris8

11. HELP : running FTP server