Help on Samba --slow

Post by chri » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to fix this problem.

I have my samba server set with security = domain, so that our NT4
handles login authentication.  My problem is this:  Sometimes it takes
10-20 seconds (or more) to negotiate a session.  The nics on both
machines ping well.  I thought it might be a broadcast thing, so I set
up a WINS server, (same as PDC) and pointed my samba there with "name
resolve order = lmhosts wins bcast" (I also tried wins lmhosts bcast --
no significant dif).

Here is the rest of my smb.conf (minus a couple printers):

encrypt passwords = yes
workgroup = naicsys
wins server = 208.226.104.200
name resolve order = lmhosts wins bcast
netbios name=BigRed
security = domain
password server = dell200
printcap name=/etc/printcap
printing = bsd
oplocks = no
hosts allow = 127.0.0.1,208.226.104.
guest account = guest
domain master = no
local master = no
preferred master = no
os level = 0
time server = yes
follow symlinks = no
map to guest = bad user

[accthp8000]
print ok = yes
guest ok = yes
path = /var/spool/samba
browseable = no
printer = accthp8000

[homes]
path=%H/sam
valid users = +%U
force user = %U
force group = %G
write list = +%U
create mask = 770
directory mask = 770
browseable=no
read only = no

[home]
path=/home
browseable =no
admin users = chrisd,kurtk,administrator
write list = chrisd,kurtk,administrator,+home

[naic_tmp]
admin users = chrisd,kurtk,administrator
guest ok=yes
create mask = 777
directory mask = 777
path=/naic_tmp/sam
browseable=yes
read only = no
preexec =echo Connect   :%T U.G=%U.%G u.g=%u.%g >> /logs/tmp.log
postexec=echo Disconnect:%T U.G=%U.%G u.g=%u.%g >> /logs/tmp.log

Thanks in advance!

Chris

RH 6.2, samba 2.0.7,ibm netfinity 4500r

1. SMB slow, Samba slow, or something else slow?

On a MS Windows NT 4.0.3 (service pack 3) computer, access through
Samba 1.9.15p8 to a Solaris 2.5 file server is slow.  Compiling
something that is on the file server's disk takes almost three
times as long as compiling the same thing on the local disk.

Solaris 1 and 2 computers do not notice such a large difference
between compiling files on local disks and files accessed through
NFS on the same file server.

Is the slowness due to the SMB protocol, Samba, or something else?

2. Suse8.1 ftpd not working

3. Samba 2.0.5 on FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE - very very slow writing to Samba from win98

4. Need programmers for free HyperCard clone

5. Samba printing slow.. very slow..

6. Help installing on Compaq 1270 laptop

7. Help - slow,slow, slip,slip, slow

8. shell timeout

9. Please help with Slow Samba printing

10. HELP: One Win98 Client Slow with Samba 2.0.6

11. Help -- Samba slow

12. Help! Samba REEEEAAAALLLL Slow with some applications!!!

13. Tin newsreader, slow slow slow