move /etc to it's own partition ?

Post by brent verne » Sat, 29 Aug 1998 04:00:00

my / is full...
i'd like to move /etc to an empty partition.
how could this be done? i'm clueless.

--brent

move /etc to it's own partition ?

Post by Dave Bro » Sat, 29 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>my / is full...
>i'd like to move /etc to an empty partition.
>how could this be done? i'm clueless.

Dear clueless (you said it, not me),

You can't.  /etc has to be in the root partition, so
that when you boot, you can find /etc/fstab to mount
partitions.  When that file's busy. it wouldn't like
you to mounting something over it.

How about moving something like /usr or /usr/X11R6 to a separate
partition

--
Dave Brown   Austin, TX

move /etc to it's own partition ?

Post by brent verne » Sat, 29 Aug 1998 04:00:00

oh well.....
Linux quit booting :-(
unexpected inconsistencies or something to that effect.
fdisk --> partition (correctly this time:-) --> reinstall !!!

thanks for the pointer -- i'm gonna give / more space this time.
i already had /usr on it's own partition.

--brent

Post by Michael McConnel » Sat, 29 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> oh well.....
> Linux quit booting :-(
> unexpected inconsistencies or something to that effect.
> fdisk --> partition (correctly this time:-) --> reinstall !!!

> thanks for the pointer -- i'm gonna give / more space this time.
> i already had /usr on it's own partition.

Try splitting /tmp and /home off to its own partitions. If /var was pretty
big, maybe that too.

You know you can use extended partitions, right?:)

-- Michael McConnell
Multimedia Data Systems, Philips Semiconductors Southampton

"I am completely functional and all my circuiSegmentation fault (core dumped)

Post by Bob Tenne » Sat, 29 Aug 1998 04:00:00

 >my / is full...
 >i'd like to move /etc to an empty partition.
 >how could this be done? i'm clueless.

It's too small to make this worthwhile and has to be on the
root partition for booting.  The big ones worth moving are
/usr/lib and /usr/X11R6.  Suppose it's /usr/lib and the new partition
is /dev/new; it should be big enough for the file system you're moving
and for subsequent additions. Do it like this:

 - mkdir /tmp/lib
 - mount /dev/new /tmp/lib
 - cd to /usr
 - tar cvpsf - lib | (cd /tmp; tar xvpsf -)
 - umount /tmp/lib
 - mv lib oldlib
 - mkdir lib
 - mount /dev/new /usr/lib

If everything works, you can then rm -rf /usr/oldlib.  You'll want
to edit /etc/fstab to mount the new partition on boot-up.

To get a good picture of what's using up space on your system, use

du | xdu

or a new package called xdiskusage.

Bob T.

Post by Jürgen Exne » Sat, 29 Aug 1998 04:00:00

>my / is full...
>i'd like to move /etc to an empty partition.
>how could this be done? i'm clueless.

Well, that's the one you can't mount at runtime, i.e. it must be on the root
partition.
Just think of all the startup scripts in /etc/rc.d or of /etc/mtab or of
/etc/fstab. How should the system know what to mount where if those files
are missing.

Anyway, it's not worth the trouble (/etc should be pretty small, you won't
gain a lot of space).

You should rather move one of  /usr, /usr/X11, /usr/src, /tmp, or /home to
it's own partitions.

jue
--
Jrgen Exner; jurgenex AT microsoft.com
Sorry for this anti-spam inconvenience

1. Moving /var from root partition to its own

When I first set up my Red Hat server I had two partitions, / and /usr.
/var was just a directory on / and /home was a symbolic link to /usr/home.
I've since moved /home to its own partition.

I now find my root partition too cramped to hold /var, and I'd like to move
it to its own (giant) partition. However, I'm concerned if anything during
the boot process needs to be able to access /var before non-root partitions
are mounted. Is this something I should worry about?

(The system is currently equivalent to RH6.1 with updates applied.)

2. Tulip-driver && SMC1255TX -> kernel fails

3. moving /var to its own partition

4. ppp problem

5. Moving /lib from samd fs as / to its own partition

6. Network setup/Route??

7. /etc on own partition, no inittab found

8. Vacation replies to Mailer-Daemon & Postmaster

9. 1/7 Move node pgdat into node's own memory

10. Moving $HOME etc to newly created partition

11. Problems with files '/etc/motd' and '/etc/issue'

12. '.forward' moves mail !!!; anything that copies and not MOVE?

13. Moving etc/shadow & etc /passwd