slackware 3.5 on dos/win95 partition

Post by TecMaste » Tue, 01 Sep 1998 04:00:00

i currently have slackware 3.5 installed on a 540Meg drive, and windows
95 on a 3.2 Gig drive - 3.2 Gig has 2 partitions, 1- 2 gig partition,
and 1-1 Gig partition, nothing on the second partition(hoping to use it
for linux)...Use LILO to boot either operating system...
i have run out of space on my linux drive and decided I want to
reinstall slackware on my 3.2 Gig drive, 2nd partition, i have all the
linux source files on the first partition of the 3.2 gig drive...  i
need to repartition the 1 gig partition with linux? will i have to
repartition my whole drive, and possibly reinstall windows?  can I just
start installing linux on the 1 gig part.?
please help....

Thanks in advance...

slackware 3.5 on dos/win95 partition

Post by Neil Kooze » Tue, 01 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> i currently have slackware 3.5 installed on a 540Meg drive, and windows
> 95 on a 3.2 Gig drive - 3.2 Gig has 2 partitions, 1- 2 gig partition,
> and 1-1 Gig partition, nothing on the second partition(hoping to use it
> for linux)...Use LILO to boot either operating system...
> i have run out of space on my linux drive and decided I want to
> reinstall slackware on my 3.2 Gig drive, 2nd partition, i have all the
> linux source files on the first partition of the 3.2 gig drive...  i
> need to repartition the 1 gig partition with linux? will i have to
> repartition my whole drive, and possibly reinstall windows?  can I just
> start installing linux on the 1 gig part.?
> please help....

Just go ahead and start installing Slackware.  After you have booted up
with the boot/root pair you get a # prompt.  Before running setup, run
fdisk.  I assume your target drive is the first drive, so just type:
fdisk
You can view the partitions with the "p" command.  If both partitions are
there, all you have to do is use the "t" command to change the desired
partition to type 83.

ATTENTION!!  If you are going to "install from hd partition", and the
disksets are on your C: drive, be especially careful.  One version of
color.gz has a bug that can erase the contents of the source partition
(your C: drive?)  If you type the directory name correctly the first time,
there is no problem.  If it says it could not find the directory, DO NOT
make a second try; exit setup (with enough control-C's to get back to a #
prompt) and check for mounted partitons with "cat /proc/mounts".  If your
source partition is still mounted, umount it before making another try.

Neil.

1. slackware 3.5 on dos/win95 partition

i currently have slackware 3.5 installed on a 540Meg drive, and windows
95 on a 3.2 Gig drive - 3.2 Gig has 2 partitions, 1- 2 gig partition,
and 1-1 Gig partition, nothing on the second partition(hoping to use it
for linux)...Use LILO to boot either operating system...
i have run out of space on my linux drive and decided I want to
reinstall slackware on my 3.2 Gig drive, 2nd partition, i have all the
linux source files on the first partition of the 3.2 gig drive...  i
need to repartition the 1 gig partition with linux? will i have to
repartition my whole drive, and possibly reinstall windows?  can I just
start installing linux on the 1 gig part.?
please help....

Thanks in advance...

2. Netscape ES & Virtual Servers

3. slackware 3.5 install - install from win95/dos hard drive?

4. internal network NAT?

5. Slackware 3.5 Install dropped DOS drive

6. Is WABI working under SunOS4.1.3 & OpenWin3 (Solaris1.1)???

7. Mount FAT partition of Win95/NT 3.5 with long file name

8. Help, My mouse doesn't work (X HP Vectra)

9. slackware 3.5 - another partition question

10. Problems when adding partitions to install Linux Slackware 3.5

11. slackware 3.5 + partitions

12. slackware 3.5 - partition/HD problem...

13. WANTED : Utility to copy file from Dos Partition (Win95) to Linux Partition