Kernel Compiling and Rebuilding Question?

Kernel Compiling and Rebuilding Question?

Post by Harry Thompso » Tue, 26 Jun 2001 09:45:15

My question is:  I seem to have no problem configuring kernel 2.4.5 and
doing the rebuild, except for probably the most important issues.  I can do
the configuring using xconfig, and then the make dep, and make bzImage
options. I am copying the bzImage to my /boot and renaming it,  and adding
the new name option to my Grub menu.lst.  I am doing this to keep the
current kernel 2.4.3 file from messing up and allowing me to still boot to
2.4.3 with no problems.

My problems arise upon reboot, I can boot the new kernel from the GRUB menu
with no problem, except the two main errors I get are "vfat not
mountable/supported by kernel: and it want load my "usb options", or I get
"too many dev's mounted on supermount".  Also, one I can't figure out how to
get it to boot to X.  All I can seem to get it to boot to is a command
prompt, and when I do "startx, or startkde, etc" I get cannot set display.

I know or at least I thought I selected the correct options in the make
xconfig for File Systems, and when reading the Kernel Howto, it says to add
the new boot image to you lilo.conf file, but LILO will not boot correctly
on my machine for some reason, only GRUB works so this is why I added it to
the GRUB file.

I know I still need to make modules, and make modules_install, I have also
done that upon reboot whether from within the 2.4.3 graphical boot into the
system and then going to /usr/src and renaming my present linux folder link
to linux2.4.3 and then linking to my linux 2.4.5 folder and linking it as
linux and then make and install the modules from there and then reverse the
process back to 2.4.3 to still have a bootable 2.4.3 and when I want to try
to boot to the 2.4.5 kernel I just relink the 2.4.5 folder to the linux link
or doing the commands from the command line after booting into kernel 2.4.5.

No matter what I do, I keep getting the vfat error whether it be from the
2.4.5 kernel or from trying to compile and rebuild the 2.4.3 to get it to
work with my USB DSL Modem, even if I make do a make mrproper to try and
reset everything and start over, I still get the same errors, and I cannot
find a reference to how to get new kernel to boot to graphical X. I know
that the configuration is in the inittab file for 3 to 5, but it is
presently set to 5, but  upon boot to new kernel it goes to 3.

I know this sounds confusing but if anyone can help me I sure would
appreciate it and I will provide or info if needed.  All in all, all I am
trying to do is get either kernel 2.4.3 to configure and build for my USB
DSL Modem, or get kernel 2.4.5 to configure/build and boot to X without the
errors I am getting.

Please post and reply.

Harry T.
Picayune MS

Kernel Compiling and Rebuilding Question?

Post by Robert Brinso » Tue, 26 Jun 2001 10:40:36

FAT file system support must be either compiled into the kernel or
included as a module during xconfig. If you did not do this during the
config process, then you will not have FAT file system support. As root,
the command lsmod will show you the modules you have, and cat
/proc/filesystems will show you what file systems your kernel supports.
You can atleast start with this.
Robert

> My question is:  I seem to have no problem configuring kernel 2.4.5 and
> doing the rebuild, except for probably the most important issues.  I can do
> the configuring using xconfig, and then the make dep, and make bzImage
> options. I am copying the bzImage to my /boot and renaming it,  and adding
> the new name option to my Grub menu.lst.  I am doing this to keep the
> current kernel 2.4.3 file from messing up and allowing me to still boot to
> 2.4.3 with no problems.

> My problems arise upon reboot, I can boot the new kernel from the GRUB menu
> with no problem, except the two main errors I get are "vfat not
> mountable/supported by kernel: and it want load my "usb options", or I get
> "too many dev's mounted on supermount".  Also, one I can't figure out how to
> get it to boot to X.  All I can seem to get it to boot to is a command
> prompt, and when I do "startx, or startkde, etc" I get cannot set display.

> I know or at least I thought I selected the correct options in the make
> xconfig for File Systems, and when reading the Kernel Howto, it says to add
> the new boot image to you lilo.conf file, but LILO will not boot correctly
> on my machine for some reason, only GRUB works so this is why I added it to
> the GRUB file.

> I know I still need to make modules, and make modules_install, I have also
> done that upon reboot whether from within the 2.4.3 graphical boot into the
> system and then going to /usr/src and renaming my present linux folder link
> to linux2.4.3 and then linking to my linux 2.4.5 folder and linking it as
> linux and then make and install the modules from there and then reverse the
> process back to 2.4.3 to still have a bootable 2.4.3 and when I want to try
> to boot to the 2.4.5 kernel I just relink the 2.4.5 folder to the linux link
> or doing the commands from the command line after booting into kernel 2.4.5.

> No matter what I do, I keep getting the vfat error whether it be from the
> 2.4.5 kernel or from trying to compile and rebuild the 2.4.3 to get it to
> work with my USB DSL Modem, even if I make do a make mrproper to try and
> reset everything and start over, I still get the same errors, and I cannot
> find a reference to how to get new kernel to boot to graphical X. I know
> that the configuration is in the inittab file for 3 to 5, but it is
> presently set to 5, but  upon boot to new kernel it goes to 3.

> I know this sounds confusing but if anyone can help me I sure would
> appreciate it and I will provide or info if needed.  All in all, all I am
> trying to do is get either kernel 2.4.3 to configure and build for my USB
> DSL Modem, or get kernel 2.4.5 to configure/build and boot to X without the
> errors I am getting.

> Please post and reply.

> Harry T.
> Picayune MS

Kernel Compiling and Rebuilding Question?

Post by Sal » Tue, 26 Jun 2001 15:03:54

you need to compile in support for the vfat filesystem.  What is happening
is that your fstab tries to mount a fat32 file system but the system wont
because it doesn't know how to handle it.

Sal

Quote:> My question is:  I seem to have no problem configuring kernel 2.4.5 and