WOL Wake-ON-LAN: sending Magic Packets

Post by Neil Zanell » Wed, 02 May 2001 14:37:11

Hello,

I would like to know how to send Magic Packets from a Linux box
to an ASUS PII motherboard with Etherfast 10/100 Mbps and WOL enabled
via BIOS settings and a wire connecting the ethernet card to the
motherboard. The receving box is just running Win2K but I would
just like to know how to send the Magic Packets from Linux.
I just installed the card and I am a little curious about
testing this interesting new feature.

Thanks,

Neil

Post by Pete Whit » Thu, 03 May 2001 11:09:00

Check out http://www.scyld.com/expert/wake-on-lan.html

> Hello,

> I would like to know how to send Magic Packets from a Linux box
> to an ASUS PII motherboard with Etherfast 10/100 Mbps and WOL enabled
> via BIOS settings and a wire connecting the ethernet card to the
> motherboard. The receving box is just running Win2K but I would
> just like to know how to send the Magic Packets from Linux.
> I just installed the card and I am a little curious about
> testing this interesting new feature.

> Thanks,

> Neil

1. Generating a wake-on-lan "magic" packet on Linux?

Hey guys, I got a question...

I have a small LAN, one box connected through a cable modem, that's
always on.  I have another box that has a WOL (wake on lan) motherboard
and a WOL-able NIC (3Com905) that's properly hooked to the WOL header on
the motherboard.

I would like to be able to start my second box by sending a signal from
the first box over the ether wire.  However, I need software capable of
generating such a "magic" packet.  HP, Intel and some others make such
programs, but they're for Windows only.  I would like to know whether
there's any Linux program that's able to generate this packet and wake
my PC.  If there isn't such a thing yet for Linux, here's what 3Com's
site says about this "magic" packet:

-------------------------------
Q:  What is a magic packet?

A:  A magic packet is a valid Ethernet packet that contains a
    synchronization stream immediately followed by 16 repetitions of
    the destination MAC address.  The synchronize stream is a 6 byte
    field of F's.  This magic packet is not protocol specific.  It can
    be IP, IPX, etc as long as it contains the sync stream and the 16
    repetitions.  This magic packet can be routed in order to wake up
    a remote PC.  Since it is a valid Ethernet address, the RWU NIC can
    accept broadcast or multicast packets as long as the NIC's MAC
    address follows the above format.
-------------------------------

So, is there a program I can use?  Since they mention above that the
packet can be routed, that essentially means the two machines need not
be on the same network, right?

Thanks,
Chepati.

--
In Linux We Trust!
http://www.linux.com

2. IPCHAINS

3. wake-on-lan and magic packet

4. Moving desktop icons?

5. How to send a Wake-On-LAN packet?

6. winmodems and wine

7. Wake-On-Lan (WOL) script

8. ProxyPass and RewriteRule [P] - what is the difference??

9. wake on lan magic packet

10. magic ping / wake-on-lan

11. wake on lan packet generator

12. 3c905c with Wake-on-lan ?