How to delete users?

Post by PC » Mon, 16 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Sorry if it's too easy, but I don't know how to
delete existing users's accounts.

How to delete users?

Post by Xces » Tue, 17 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Run linuxconf as root if you want some sort of gui to delete your users or
do it manually. pico /etc/passwd and delete their corresponding lines, and
/etc/shadow if you have shadowed you passwd. And delete their home
directory. Piece of cake ;)

--
Xces

Post by Chris Welc » Tue, 17 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> Sorry if it's too easy, but I don't know how to
> delete existing users's accounts.

userdel jimmy

How to delete users?

Post by Chris Welc » Tue, 17 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> Sorry if it's too easy, but I don't know how to
> delete existing users's accounts.

oops. run groupdel too

1. deleting user account: disposition of user's files?

If I delete a user's account, either manually or with userdel, what happens
to files the user owns?  (I.e., the system will see them as being owned by
someone who doesn't exist; is that a problem?)

Also, some info out there claims that if you don't change ownership, you
could have a problem because if the userid is recycled, the new user will
automatically inherit the files of the defunct user.  Somewhere else it
sounded like some systems prevent this by preventing userids from being
recycled.  What's the convention with SunOs 5.9?

TIA,

sjfromm

2. quotactl() (long)

3. Deleting users and user password revoke.

4. Problems with inetd

5. newbie dumbass X problem... deleted user xfs

6. linux.* newsgroups...

7. delete user's mail

8. Problem compiling kernel using a scsi disk

9. Deleting Users automagically

10. Delete user script...

11. Need help deleting users!

12. delete user account